How many past greats would be greats of the modern game

and by modern im talking since about 1995. back in the 70s-80s players got alot of rest periods and fitness wasnt really an issue back then but put them in the currnt game of the last 10-15 years would they hold up? would they be better with the open-ness of the game or would the frantic pace of the current game be their down fall

discuss.

once a champion always a champion - top players of previous eras would be top players today if given the same training techniques, diet, full time status etc as todays players

@diedpretty:

once a champion always a champion - top players of previous eras would be top players today if given the same training techniques, diet, full time status etc as todays players

Thats certainly a point one would find difficult to argue. However, i do wonder.

My gut feeling is there would be a number of past internationals who wouldnt even make the NRL these days. One example that springs to mind is Gary Freeman. Could anyone really see him having the skill to play halfback in todays game? I couldnt and i was his biggest fan, i loved him. Maybe he would have made it as a niggling hooker, but not a halfback.

Terry Fahey
Stephen Knight
Bill & Russell Mullins
Bob Fulton
Mark Harris
Brett Kenny
Sterlo

plenty

@diedpretty:

Agree

@king sirro:

@diedpretty:

Thats certainly a point one would find difficult to argue. However, i do wonder.

My gut feeling is there would be a number of past internationals who wouldnt even make the NRL these days. One example that springs to mind is Gary Freeman. Could anyone really see him having the skill to play halfback in todays game? I couldnt and i was his biggest fan, i loved him. Maybe he would have made it as a niggling hooker, but not a halfback.

The playing style of half back has changed dramatically to when whizz was running around - he was very much in the same style as tommy, and sterlo - mortimer changed the way half backs played and it has evolved from there - same as hookers - if you based your decisions on the way todays hookers play there wouldn’t be single hooker you would pick probably before benny and walters changed the way the position was played.

T think champions would adapt.

But in many respects I think many of todays players couldn"t have played in the 70s.Back then no interchange and replacements had to have played a full game in reserve grade,scrums were a contest and the rules were alot different.

Couln"t see say Benji,Galloway,mason,and many forwards of today playing back then.

And apart from 5 or so halves of today the rest wouln"t have made it in the 70s.A half had tonbe able to pass back then. 😮

Recent Topics

Support our community by clicking here and joining our Forum Support Scheme