Age of our recruits for 2018?

• Just looking at roughly the age of the players we are recruiting when they pull on our colours in 2018.

Greg Eastwood (not confirmed) - 31
    Chris Maqueen - 30
    Russell Packer (not confirmed) - 28
    Josh Reynolds - 28
    Ben Matalino - 28
    MWZ - 25

Is it a concerted recruitment drive to do away with the youth/potential policy? Not saying these guys are old, however they would all be in the latter half of their career.

I think most Tigers fans will enjoy having a more hard nosed team that won’t be stood over.

Or is it a desperate short term gamble that can leave you in another hole in a few years?

There would be argument from the departing clubs supporters of these players that their best football could be behind them.

I must admit I have mixed feelings. I would just like a few younger players to balance things out.

• Its reminding me of when the Maggies recruited Cement Gillespie, Jim Dymock, Andrew farrar, Langers Thomas Lindner etc in 91
    We went from 13th the prior year to 6th and then 5th the next year
    Its short term

• Look at the sharks.

• Like I said its got pros and cons.

I am all for signing established players.

I would just like to se it balanced out now with a couple of younger players.

If these players don’t make us the finals in the next 2 seasons then is it back to square 1?

• Look what happened at the knights under bennett……

• @:

Look what happened at the knights under bennett……

To be fair Bennett dead set went after blokes halfway in the grave

Gower, Tahu, Smith etc

Our guys look like they have 2-3 good years left in them.

• Packer will be 28 in 2018 as well

• I don’t see it as an issue. We haven’t gotten anywhere with youth for the last 5 years so why not. And it means we’ll have another war chest in 3 or 4 years because most of these guys will retire.

• To be honest, I think this age-based policy is going to make us a much better unit. They all have experience - they have been in finals, played representative football, some are in their prime. Apart from Matulino and Packer (rumoured) the contract periods aren’t overly long and we can start to add more youth to a solid base of players - allow the up and comers like Marsters and Totola to learn from from these guys and then start putting pressure on their positions.

I would like a dynamic back or two though….

• We have a fairly young squad at the moment so this should balance things out. We also have a number of young players emerging and you need some experience to guide them. However if things don’t work out with the players coming in we could be in a deep dark hole

• Ages of our players in 2018:

1. ???
    2. David Nofoaluma (24)
    3. Moses Suli (19)
    4. ???
    5. ???
    6. Josh Reynolds (28)
    7. Luke Brooks (23)
    8. Ben Matulino (29)
    9. Matt McIlwrick (25)
    10. Russell Packer (28)
    11. Chris McQueen (30)
    12. ??? (hopefully not Eastwood)
    13. ET (28)

Seems like a good mixture of youth and experience to me. Not too worried about Matulino or Russell Packer as props usually get better as they get older, they will both be 32 when their contracts finish. Extremely worried about Josh Reynold’s contract as he will be 31 when his contract finishes. I believe he has 2 years left in him, before we need to find a replacement. Regarding McQueen, we’ll see how he goes. You also forgot to mention the signing of Twal who could be something special very soon.

We’ll see how the rest of the squad pans out, but we’re going to need a couple more decent signings for our squad to be in top 8 contention.

• I think it is a good blend so far - we will no more when all signings are complete.
    As it stands - and I am sure we will have another winger, prop and maybe a centre.

Average age on the list below is 25, I am sure that will come down a bit yet.

1. Tui Lolohea (22)
    2. David Nofoaluma (24)
    3. Moses Suli (19)
    4. Malakai Watene-Zelezniak (25)
    5. Kevin Naiqama (28)
    6. Josh Reynolds (28)
    7. Luke Brooks (23)
    8. Ben Matulino (29)
    9. Matt McIlwrick (25)
    10. Russell Packer (28)
    11. Chris McQueen (30)
    12. Chris Lawrence (29)
    13. Elijah Taylor (28)

14. Michael Chee-Kam (25)
    15. Aloiai (22)
    16. Jesse Sue (25)
    17. Jacob Liddle (21)

• Recruitment isn’t done yet but as others have already mentioned - it’s a good balance with average age of 25.

• @:

Its reminding me of when the Maggies recruited Cement Gillespie, Jim Dymock, Andrew farrar, Langers Thomas Lindner etc in 91
    We went from 13th the prior year to 6th and then 5th the next year
    Its short term

That is right, Lindner came for the 1990 season along with Ivan Henjack and Tony Cosatto, Wests came 13th.
    Langmack, Gillespie, Thomas, Farrar and Dymock came for the 1991 season, Wests finished equal 5th, beat Canterbury in a play off for 5th, in 1992 came 5th, 1993 back to 13th again.

• The youth policy hasn’t worked for us in case you haven’t noticed

Recent Topics