Am I alone

• in thinking that this year, thus far, is the most demoralizing / de-franchising for quite some years? And I go back to the days of Baysarri, Miranda, Mark lawson, Wayne Wigham…at least these guys knew their limitations and played accordingly…

It’s probably the same every time we go through a change, on and off the field, but I don’t know, this year just feels particularly “dark” - which means that light, will follow…eventually…

Sigh!!

• yes

• Eh im used to it. I dont mind if we lose if we have a entertaining attacking style and good defence. But we dont. Watching tigers play is actually not that good. Alot of sides in the nrl are the same though.

• Yes and no.

Some very dark clouds and some very bright silver lining is my summary.

• You definitely arent alone… that said I feel almost entirely opposite, though Im a bit of a defiant type who thrives on the siege mentality, us against the world type vibe going on at present.

The lines drawn in the sand, the way the fanbase galvanised in turning on Woods… I actually think much of this seasons tribulations will help us forge our mettle going forward.

• Tigerheart, we all support our teams for different reasons. I was born in Manly territory but switched to the Tigers as a teen, I liked the style of play that Lockwood, Pringle and McMahon brought to the midweek Amco Cup. After more than 40 years supporting Balmain/WT, I have seen 1 premiership for the joint team. I have seen lots of good players leave on bad terms (Glenn Morrison, Luke O’Donnell etc) before this year’s dropouts. I have seen good players walk out to get better deals before (Greg Cox, Pat Richards etc). The last couple of years I have seen good players forced out against their will, if we can believe the press. Is that the club’s fault or the changing nature of the business? In any case, it’s not enough to make me change teams. I started out supporting players but somewhere that changed into supporting the club, although I have no interest in who runs the office.

I am in Qld suffering the effects of a Qld press who only write about Qld teams. So I turn to these forums to feel better about my team, but not everyone here remembers the club’s past. People are putting the boot into Elias because of what his nephew is doing. Benny was one of the best to wear the Tigers jersey and is entitled to his opinions. As we all are. So let’s stay positive.

So, is this year any darker than others? Not really. Is there light for the future? Definitely, but it may take time. The 90’s were embarrassing. Too many players left after the '05 win so we could not get a roll on. But we have not had a spending spree like the current one EVER, so something may change.

BTW, the names you mentioned: Wayne Miranda and Wayne Wigham, were actually decent players (IMO). Baysarri was ordinary, and I don’t even remember Mark Lawson.

• It is demoralising in terms of this season. I will stick solid with the club, but a few of the players currently wearing our jersey make me sick and their is no way I can get behind them.

Sad to say, but I cracked a smile when Woods went down in the Cronulla game. I would be much more enthused if somehow the side did not feature Woods & Moses even if it lessened our chances of success.

• Your not alone

Im not even watching tonight’s game on CH9

I have never been so down on a season as this… Im even more worried about next year.

• A bit of a kick in the teeth this year has been. Disappointed it came to a head the way it did with JT but there’s a silver lining in that Cleary’s pulling power and vision will hand us a reasonably well rounded side next year. Bought some mongrel up front and some very good competitors who’ll play no matter what the scoreboard says. I am not so sure that JT would have had the same successes in recruitment, and not sure that the 3 egos would have hung around. Even if they did they would have hamstrung us financially.

This year should have happened in 2013. 5 years too late IMO, but it’s here now and hopefully the effect is felt immediately.

• @:

Your not alone

I have never been so down on a season as this… Im even more worried about next year.

I am worried about your mental state. R U OK?

I’ll be at the game and abusing the 2-headed, 3 fingered banjo playing Queenslanders regardless of the outcome. Feeling very upbeat about the years ahead with Ivan in charge. :sign:

• @:

Tigerheart, we all support our teams for different reasons. I was born in Manly territory but switched to the Tigers as a teen, I liked the style of play that Lockwood, Pringle and McMahon brought to the midweek Amco Cup. After more than 40 years supporting Balmain/WT, I have seen 1 premiership for the joint team. I have seen lots of good players leave on bad terms (Glenn Morrison, Luke O’Donnell etc) before this year’s dropouts. I have seen good players walk out to get better deals before (Greg Cox, Pat Richards etc). The last couple of years I have seen good players forced out against their will, if we can believe the press. Is that the club’s fault or the changing nature of the business? In any case, it’s not enough to make me change teams. I started out supporting players but somewhere that changed into supporting the club, although I have no interest in who runs the office.

I am in Qld suffering the effects of a Qld press who only write about Qld teams. So I turn to these forums to feel better about my team, but not everyone here remembers the club’s past. People are putting the boot into Elias because of what his nephew is doing. Benny was one of the best to wear the Tigers jersey and is entitled to his opinions. As we all are. So let’s stay positive.

So, is this year any darker than others? Not really. Is there light for the future? Definitely, but it may take time. The 90’s were embarrassing. Too many players left after the '05 win so we could not get a roll on. But we have not had a spending spree like the current one EVER, so something may change.

BTW, the names you mentioned: Wayne Miranda and Wayne Wigham, were actually decent players (IMO). Baysarri was ordinary, and I don’t even remember Mark Lawson.

Baysarri is a very down-to-earth bloke. I had the chance to talk to him about the Tigers when I was helping out set-up the NRL corner during the Blacktown Festival eons ago. He loves the Tigers.

Anyway, I like how things are coming together with Cleary at the helm. So good times ahead though we might not see this instantly. I am hoping instantly like next year. 😃

I will always support the club. West Tigers till I die! :sign:

• Pfft this is nothing. I was gutted when Woods and Tedesco didn’t take up contracts but since then we’ve made some great signings and finally look like a football club rather than a benevolent society for self entitled juniors. 2001-2003 were much worse. The mid to late 90s for Balmain was worse. Michael Gillette is a nice bloke but compared to Josh Reynolds? Forget about it!

• @:

@:

Your not alone

I am worried about your mental state. R U OK?

I’ll be at the game and abusing the 2-headed, 3 fingered banjo playing Queenslanders regardless of the outcome. Feeling very upbeat about the years ahead with Ivan in charge. :sign:

Thx PD77

Im OK and will bounce back, I have invested so much of my life in this club.

• to be clear, this is NOT about not following the WT, merely a reflection of this year’s shenanigans…

• Banned

I dont think i can remember a worse feeling or year either. However, while we have had good runs and just missed out on semis here and there, we really have just been making the numbers. This needs to change. We finally have a coach capable of running the show, i believe pascoe is doing a good job and our membership number are as high as they have ever been. We need to start again, build a new team, a new playing style and most importantly a new culture. I believe with ivan, the players who have decided to stay and the new players we have brought in we can achieve this. It might take 2 or 3 years. But atleast we have started.

Recent Topics