Head Gear Compulsory for all Grades.

• I just spent a couple of weeks in Sydney and was told the NRL have drawn up an outline for the Compulsory use of Headgear,possibly ‘Thurston’ like in Club Colours,for all NRL Teams and may be introduced in 5-10 Years time.
    Obviously part of the Concussion probe as regards Legal Action against the NRL & Clubs years down the track and is probably the advice from a Law Firm and Medical experts similar to what USA Soccer received before banning the heading of the Ball by Juniors.
    Grant was probably the driving force as the Clubs are ganging up to get rid of him yet again.
    Interesting to see if it does eventuate and it what form.

• I thought there were studies that found that headgear made no difference to concussion. If you wanted to make a difference you would need the boxing type

• It is moreso the whiplash effect from the contact that rattles the brain around. Headgear probably only saves a few concussions around the temple area that is protected when wearing headgear.
    Can’t see it ever being enforced TBH. They will ban tackling before headgear is compulsory in the NRL.

• @:

I thought there were studies that found that headgear made no difference to concussion. If you wanted to make a difference you would need the boxing type

Lots of studies around the last 10 years that differ widely in their conclusions,big one currently underway in the States as to re-designing NFL Helmets.
    Interesting to see where it all leads.

• @:

@:

I thought there were studies that found that headgear made no difference to concussion. If you wanted to make a difference you would need the boxing type

Lots of studies around the last 10 years that differ widely in their conclusions,big one currently underway in the States as to re-designing NFL Helmets.
    Interesting to see where it all leads.

I read an article about NFL helmets a couple of years ago and they had senses in the helmets measure impacts. They found 2 things: 1. that players were playing on after sustaining high impact shots where that should have been heavily concussed. 2. That a lot of impact occurred with the helmet rattling around.

The NRL has worked to put testing practices in place to reduce issue 1. Issue 2 would not be an issue with a headgear. I would like to see a study that focuses on league/union type impacts and the influence of headgear on these. If they are going to go down this route they need to be sure they are effective otherwise they could be in a worse position than now

• @:

The NRL has worked to put testing practices in place to reduce issue 1. Issue 2 would not be an issue with a headgear. I would like to see a study that focuses on league/union type impacts and the influence of headgear on these. If they are going to go down this route they need to be sure they are effective otherwise they could be in a worse position than now

Yeah,i agree,but current thinking(apparently) in the NRL is they can’t do nothing and have to be seen to be looking after player welfare although the Elephant is the Legal ramifications down the road.
    The majority of Head clash injuries are reduced when wearing head gear especially the design that covers the cheeks.
    Its only hearsay but one of the major compensation Lawyers are already looking at options for Football injuries,if correct,it will put a bomb under the NRL and its Clubs.

• @:

@:

Yeah,i agree,but current thinking(apparently) in the NRL is they can’t do nothing and have to be seen to be looking after player welfare although the Elephant is the Legal ramifications down the road.
    The majority of Head clash injuries are reduced when wearing head gear especially the design that covers the cheeks.
    Its only hearsay but one of the major compensation Lawyers are already looking at options for Football injuries,if correct,it will put a bomb under the NRL and its Clubs.

All it will take is one successful law suit for the flood gates to open so I agree something has to be done. The public will respond to the headgear as something being done because it is so visual as compared to the player management measures. I will be interested in how this all plays out and how the public responds if they go down the headgear route

Recent Topics