Struggling in every grade - what's going on?

• In previous years when our NRL side was struggling, we seemed to do ok in at least one other grade.

But now, every side we’re fielding is struggling.

It’s sad that we haven’t recruited or retained well for 2-3 years. It’s perhaps even sadder that development has been neglected too.

What’s going on?

• I think you answered your own question.

• Our recruitment and retention is crap.

Last year, the club was so focused on keeping Moses/Brooks it didn’t look elsewhere. We have been so focused on retaining our juniors it has cost us big time.

This is the first time in a while the club has actually seemed to look externally at non fringe players.

NYC, we had a time where a lot of juniors were coming through and looked impressive, especially the time we won the grand final with Miller, Koroibete, Nofa, Lovett, Sue, Mulcahy, etc.

That hasn’t been the case recently, it’s a shame.

• Recruitment has let us down for so long. Depth needs to be added to bring the quality back up in all grades. Club has let it slip dramatically and hopefully ivan and co address the issue.

• If our Reserve Grade players where actually playing ISP, we would be top of the table?!

• @:

If our Reserve Grade players where actually playing ISP, we would be top of the table?!

Sorry Watto…that’s our first grade side…I know its hard to accept 😆

• ForumSupporter

Meh…you have these decades…

• U 20s won on the weekend and ISP team got within 2 points of the Mounties. I know none of that is great stuff but be patient and next year we’ll be looking a lot better.

• Some years ago and mainly due to salary cap constraints they decided to build a team around 4 juniors. Basically put 13 average footballers around these kids and in time we will be just like Melbourne. In the process we let Austen,TMM,Tapau,Koro,JAC,Farah and Siro all walk so we could have enough cap space to keep the 4.

Well it is history now, three have them have bolted or about to bolt, they were not half as good as we were led to believe they were and now its back to square one with a completely different approach

• Jusr read interestings news in relation to the proposed second grade restructure for next year. .

Any team that plays in the ISP second grade must be affiliated with a top grade team and
    any team who fields a team in ISP MUST also field an U20s team. ISP and U20s must play on the same day so WT may not be fielding our own.

• I think its the result of our club still being caught up in the Sheens era thinking of small, mobile forwards. WT have not been able to progress through their grades for years, any big unit in the forwards. Man for man, position for position, when compared against the other clubs our blokes are generally smaller.

The opposition worked out Sheens mode of operating years ago and we got monstered. We are still getting monstered. Without a forward pack that competes and can give it to the opposition as much as they give it to us we have no hope- no matter how good or bad the backline and halves, we will continue to be on the back foot. Its now coming home to roost in spades across all the grades.

• I heard from an unreliable source that those in lower grades are not interested in playing first grade for our club.

Maybe once we get the first grade side and culture sorted out it will filter through the rest of the grades.

As my old boss used to say, ‘The fish stinks from the head down’!

• I would also be interested to hear from anyone involved in junior league, particularly Harold Matthews level and up.

A cursory glance suggests we’re way currently way underrepresented compared to other Sydney clubs when it comes to rep teams.

• @:

I heard from an unreliable source that those in lower grades are not interested in playing first grade for our club.

Maybe once we get the first grade side and culture sorted out it will filter through the rest of the grades.

As my old boss used to say, ‘The fish stinks from the head down’!

Not putting in at your current club is a great way to have other clubs take notice of you… 😒

• @:

Jusr read interestings news in relation to the proposed second grade restructure for next year. .

Any team that plays in the ISP second grade must be affiliated with a top grade team and
    any team who fields a team in ISP MUST also field an U20s team. ISP and U20s must play on the same day so WT may not be fielding our own.

Why would that affect WT in any way?

Recent Topics