David Nofoaluma’s defence lapses cost any chance of Origin debut

• BASED on key attacking statistics, David Nofoaluma would not have looked out of place in Kingscliff preparing to make his NSW Origin debut on the wing.

But the Wests Tigers flyer knows he must fix his leaky defence if he is any hope of forcing his way into the Blues team and playing along side good mate James Tedesco.

Nofoaluma spent this week in Manly where the Tigers completed their own intense training camp.

When Tom Trbojevic broke down with injury and created a wing vacancy for NSW a couple of weeks ago, Tedesco told Nofoaluma he needed to start giving some serious thought to pulling on the Blues jersey.

Brett Morris and Blake Ferguson were named NSW’s wingers for Origin I next Wednesday.

The Nofoaluma Blues debate is not as crazy as it sounds considering he leads the overall competition for tackle busts.

He has also made more metres than any other winger except for Brisbane and Queensland flyer Corey Oates, and the third most linebreaks behind internationals Suliasi Vunivalu and Jordan Rapana.

The 23-year-old has been arguably the standout performer after 11 rounds in an awful Tigers team.

But Nofoaluma has missed more tackles than any other winger — and is now working on that area so he can bump himself up the Blues pecking order.

“I know there are things I need to work on, and once I get that sorted it will be good,’’ Nofoaluma told The Daily Telegraph.

“We changed a bit of the defence in the pre-season, it didn’t work, and it’s hard to change something you’ve practised in the pre-season.

“Ivan (Cleary) and myself and the coaching staff are working hard to improve that.

“Once my defence gets sorted, my attack looks after itself.

“I’d love to play Origin, I just have to keep playing great footy and hopefully I’ll get that opportunity.

“I need to get to the point where the selectors have no other choice but to pick me. That’s what happened with ‘Teddy’ when the selectors had to pick him, and the fans wanted him in the team.’’

Nofoaluma, 23, played for City last year, only for a knee injury to rule him out of Samoa’s international earlier this month.

He said the bye round had come at the perfect time for the club after the dramas on and off the field across the opening 11 rounds.

Unlike Tedesco, skipper Aaron Woods and Mitchell Moses, Nofoaluma inked a new deal with the club, and even waived the cooling-off period because he wanted some positive news for the Tigers fans.

Nofoaluma said the 2018 arrivals of Josh Reynolds, Russell Packer, Ben Matulino and the likely signature of Tui Lolohea made it easy to remain positive the remainder of this season.

The Tigers will return next weekend to play the high-flying Dragons, with Nofoaluma determined to stop Jason Nightingale who put three tries on him earlier this year.

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sport/nrl/david-nofoalumas-defence-lapses-cost-any-chance-of-origin-debut/news-story/28b61accbb0d5513e4ab3bcb13b021b5

• Realistically….
    Never gonna happen.

Mansour >

• “I know there are things I need to work on, and once I get that sorted it will be good,’’
    \

@:

Realistically….
    Never gonna happen.

• Nofa should just stay on his man and stop rushing in when he doesn’t have too,rushing in rarely pays off and its about time he realises the error of his ways regardless of who is inside of him.

• Well if that motivates him to improve his defence great but Christ if he’s being considered for NSW we’re in trouble…

• I want so much for this guy to fix his abysmal defence because of his passion for the club. Say what you will about Nofo, the bloke bleeds black, white and orange. If only a few others had followed his example and not just thought about their next pay check.

• Banned

I love how ted is an authority on origin now LMAO he was a dud in game 3 last year and is thoroughly undeserving of his spot for game 1 this year.
    Dont break a jaw you buck toothed gimp.

• @:

I love how ted is an authority on origin now LMAO he was a dud in game 3 last year and is thoroughly undeserving of his spot for game 1 this year.

Hahaha

• Stupid article…not worth reading…he is no where near origin standard

• Stupid article…not worth reading…he is no where near origin standard…when i read we have signed Hopoate and Ferguson I’ll get excited

• Nofo should be playing for Australia.

• @:

Stupid article…not worth reading…he is no where near origin standard…when i read we have signed Hopoate and Ferguson I’ll get excited

You have low expectations getting excited over Hoppa.

• @:

Realistically….
    Never gonna happen.

Mansour >

Nofo is a beast but this.

• His defensive reads are shocking
    15m in field then having to turn around and chase a sydney harbour bridge pass…

Im not sure when he will learn if he hasnt so far under 4 coaches

• @:

Love it

Recent Topics