Farah in doubt to tackle Panthers

From nrl.com

Wests Tigers will delay a decision on whether captain Robbie Farah plays against in-form Penrith in Saturday’s NRL west Sydney derby clash.

The Tigers rake had scans on Tuesday which have revealed ligament damage to his elbow, placing him in doubt for the match at CUA Stadium.

Chris Corby, a product of the Tigers under-20 side last year is on standby for Farah whose injury will be re-assessed at training on Thursday.

“He’s got some ligament damage and we’re still weighing up whether he’ll play or not,” said Tigers coach Tim Sheens on Wednesday.

"It’ll be another few days before we make a decision I would think.

“But tomorrow will give us a fair idea.”

Farah would be keen not to miss any playing time as he bids to reclaim the NSW Origin No.9 jumper for the opening game of 2010 series in Sydney in just over four weeks.

He and Bulldogs hooker Michael Ennis, the Blues’ incumbent, are again locked in a fierce selection battle.

They opposed each other last weekend when Farah was impressive but injured his elbow while Ennis took the points as the Bulldogs won and he scored two tries.

The Tigers, who will appreciate having prop Keith Galloway back from injury against a physical Panthers pack, always find it a hard slog playing at Penrith.

In fact Penrith have won 13 of their last 17 clashes at home while Wests Tigers haven’t won there since 2006 when they got up 24-20.

The Tigers, however, have done a good job of reversing away trends this year with wins over Parramatta and Manly at grounds where their record was poor.

The Panthers are riding a wave of confidence after their third successive win, thumping the Warriors 40-12 in Auckland last weekend.

@ron burgandy:

farah will play

Did jumper text you?

Called Ron before he called Sheens.

he will play, i can feel it

@ron burgandy:

Feel what……his elbow you mean!!!

@TigerGene:

@ron burgandy:

call it womens intuition……

@ron burgandy:

@TigerGene:

@ron burgandy:

call it womens intuition……

Ummm……Take you on trust on the intuition…But can we trust the exact needle point ???

Are you trying to subtly suggest that a woman close to the Tigers has … you are such a poser RB. What happened to you not posting for the rest of the year?

Ah well, at least you’re good value. And I’ll pay that you are mostly accurate with your stuff. Don’t consider this a full on attack, more of a rib mate. Don’t bust a nut over it.

@MacDougall:

Are you trying to subtly suggest that a woman close to the Tigers has … you are such a poser RB. What happened to you not posting for the rest of the year?

Ah well, at least you’re good value. And I’ll pay that you are mostly accurate with your stuff. Don’t consider this a full on attack, more of a rib mate. Don’t bust a nut over it.

You do realise what bust a nut means? 😆

Fox sports news said he could be out for 6 weeks

If that is the case we are in a world of trouble.

@Eddie:

Fox sports news said he could be out for 6 weeks

If that is the case we are in a world of trouble.

Yep I just heard that too.

I’m not sure if he could get through the matches needled up but if I was the Tigers, I’d rest him for at least 2 weeks, if we win the next 2 matches, continue to rest him, if we lose the next 2, then we may have to see how he goes with a needle and have a hooker on the bench instead of a back.

Tigers in crisis: Farah and Sheens at odds over rake playing injured
GLENN JACKSON
April 22, 2010

WESTS TIGERS captain Robbie Farah will today plead with coach Tim Sheens to play wounded against Penrith on Saturday as an injury crisis grips the club - but Sheens was adamant yesterday he would not risk further damage to his star player’s elbow problem.

Scans on Farah’s elbow yesterday revealed ligament damage, an injury which ordinarily would keep the hooker on the sidelines for at least a month.

But Farah wants to play on, and he will make his case with Sheens and the rest of the coaching staff, who will be looking to avoid another key player going down injured.

Already the club has lost fullback Tim Moltzen for the rest of the season, while the immediate future of winger Taniela Tuiaki remains clouded at best. Halfback Robert Lui (ankle) and forward Todd Payten (calf) remain on the short-term casualty list, while none of the Tigers’ starting front-row for the clash with the Panthers will train today.

In fact, prop Bryce Gibbs was briefly hospitalised earlier this week after suffering delayed concussion from the spiteful encounter with the Bulldogs last Friday night, while fellow prop Keith Galloway is attempting to return to action after a shoulder injury.

That growing injury list, one that threatens to derail the Tigers’ promising start to the season, is no doubt one of the reasons Farah, who hyperextended his elbow half an hour into the Bulldogs match, is intent on fighting through the club’s latest injury setback.

Still, Sheens said playing him would be senseless if there was any prospect of further damage.

‘‘He’d be playing in discomfort, but we’d never let him play if it meant he wasn’t up to playing,’’ Sheens said last night.

‘‘It just comes down to going over it and seeing how he recovers. We’ll be making some decisions from there. It’s a wait-and-see situation.’’

Farah spoke with Tigers doctor Donald Kuah yesterday, and the hooker believes he can play with the joint heavily strapped and possibly injected with pain-killers. Payten suffered a similar injury in 2005 but played through the finals series before having surgery.

Wests Magpies hooker Chris Corby has trained in Farah’s absence this week and will slot into the line-up at CUA Stadium if Sheens is unconvinced about Farah’s fitness.

Sheens also admitted yesterday he was ‘‘not counting on [Tuiaki] in the near future’’.

I guess thats some sort of positive that Payten managed to play through it in 05, it didnt seem to affect him much.
It might be different though for Farah as being a hooker requires a lot more passing which obviously wont be good for the elbow. I don’t think we will see Farah this weekend, and I’m not sure if ill be happy if he plays anyway because we need him fully fit later on in the season.

Not good news about Tuiaki but no real surprise either.

Starting to feel like '06, it’s going to be hard to beat the Panthers as is, let alone without Robbie

Thank god we had a good start to the season. I hate to say it, but rest him to the bye. Lets pick things up then. And in that case, lets not risk any more players who are walking wounded

Recent Topics

Support our community by clicking here and joining our Forum Support Scheme