Rename Margaret Court Arena?

• Banned

Our beloved Margaret has upset the whole world by coming out strongly against homosexual marriage.

I loved John McEnroe’s satirical piece

http://www.msn.com/en-au/news/world/mcenroes-classic-reaction-to-margaret-court-drama/ar-BBBVyk5?li=AA4RE4&ocid=spartanntp

He’s never been known for his ability to remain quiet, so it comes as no surprise that American John McEnroe has eventually weighed in on the controversy surrounding Margaret Court’s gay marriage comments.
    The former World No.1 didn’t pull any punches during a speech in his satirical role as ‘The Commissioner of Tennis’ on Eurosport.

While technically a skit, we suspect there was quite a lot of truth in McEnroe’s comments as he shared his unrestrained thoughts on the situation.
    “I actually don’t see any reason why we shouldn’t give them the right to be as miserable as everyone else,” McEnroe said.
    "Margaret Court is a legend in our sport with 24 grand slam single titles and 62 overall — OK most of them were before the Open era, but who is counting? Thirty-four to be exact.
    "And she did lose against Bobby Riggs in the first battle of the sexes. Hold on, she lost to Bobby, then Billie Jean King beat the s**t out of him.

"Now, we know where that hatred may come from.
    "As for renaming the court that bears her name in Melbourne Park, the jury is still out.
    "The self-appointed Commissioner of Tennis might have a viable solution: keep the name, and when same-sex marriage finally becomes legal in Australia, I will personally call my good friend Elton John to host the biggest same-sex mass wedding ceremony ever seen in the Margaret Court Arena.
    “Margaret, that’s the kind of guy I am.”
    –--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

• McEnroe’s response was the best way to handle it.

• I think her thoughts/statements are pretty poor and not needed, but I dont think we should be bullied into changing the name of the arena. Her accolades still stand and she has been a great ambassador to Australian Sport.

If any players want to boycott, go for it. But by allowing them to force the name change through threats and intimidation to the organisers, is nothing short of equal embarrassment.

The finger pointing should be at our government!

• She’s stuck in the 1920s like a few on here… She’s entitled to her views no matter how outdated but renaming the Stadium shouldn’t occur, that came about due to her deeds on court

• Pretty much.

Renaming the court is OTT, as you’ve said Ink it’s named after her tennis achievements. If the Gay and Lesbian Mardi Gras was named after her then the point would be a little more valid.

• Next thing you’ll know anyone who supports a republic will refuse to drive down King Georges Road or shop at the QVB.

• Banned

@:

She’s stuck in the 1920s like a few on here… She’s entitled to her views no matter how outdated but renaming the Stadium shouldn’t occur, that came about due to her deeds on court

She isnt stuck in the 20’s at all. If you read what she has said she is very up to date. Her views however come from a very insular and priveledged perspective…like a few on here. If she lived in communities where the people whose lifestyle’s she criticises exist, her views would cease to be so black and white…like a few on here.

• @:

@:

She’s stuck in the 1920s like a few on here… She’s entitled to her views no matter how outdated but renaming the Stadium shouldn’t occur, that came about due to her deeds on court

She isnt stuck in the 20’s at all. If you read what she has said she is very up to date. Her views however come from a very insular and priveledged perspective…like a few on here. If she lived in communities where the people whose lifestyle’s she criticises exist, her views would cease to be so black and white…like a few on here.

So well Said Stryker. IMHO they should have the Womens Lesbian Tennis final at the court with a massive sign “we love you Margaret”. I for one am sick of Fringe dwellers eating up the media’s time.

• Banned

I consider grossly unfair how transgender men to women can compete in women’s competitions.

• @:

@:

Oh dear… It’s because of where she lives she has these views… Lmao

Up to date… Yeh right

She added that LGBT culture was corrupting young people, saying: “That’s what Hitler did. That’s what communism did — get in the minds of the children. There’s a whole plot in our nation and in the nations of the world to get in the minds of the children.”

Its ok though… It’s because of her upbringing and where she lives.
    I didn’t know Perth had no gays

• In women’s tennis, I always root against the heterosexual.

• Banned

@:

@:

@:

Oh dear… It’s because of where she lives she has these views… Lmao

Up to date… Yeh right

She added that LGBT culture was corrupting young people, saying: “That’s what Hitler did. That’s what communism did — get in the minds of the children. There’s a whole plot in our nation and in the nations of the world to get in the minds of the children.”

Its ok though… It’s because of her upbringing and where she lives.
    I didn’t know Perth had no gays

She also spoke about transgender and gender binary issues you dope. Hardly something people stuck in the past would even be aware of. She isnt a dinosaur at all. She is very religious and thats where her warped views originated.Try understanding a topic before commenting. Youre just trying to pick a fight as per usual.

• Banned

@:

In women’s tennis, I always root against the heterosexual.

How do you know which ones are and arent? Are they those that are more manly looking?

• @:

@:

In women’s tennis, I always root against the heterosexual.

How do you know which ones are and arent? Are they those that are more manly looking?

Who knows, I was quoting a movie. http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0088286/quotes

• So if she came out tomorrow and said all Asians should be deported and we should remove citizenship for Aboriginal people you still wouldn’t support a name change?

Recent Topics