Wingers undervalued?

• So my view is that structure football is largely dead. Teams playing flat off quick play the balls with support pushing up (instead of hanging back for the structured plays) are starting to gain ascendency.

That being said are fullbacks who are crucial to second man plays overvalued compared to wingers? Given the move to more unstructured football I would contend a big metre eating winger with the ability to offload is as valuable as a ball playing fullback. Should we being making a play for big fast skillfull wingers. Jordan Rapana, josh mansour, the big Fijian Melbourne winger, Oates and Holmes are probably some of the more influential players in the competition and probably the most undervalued.

Thoughts?

• We can’t compete by following convention wisdom, we got to be ahead of the curve

• We’ve got one metre eater winger in Nofa and if rumours are on the mark Rona should be on the other wing. We’ve also got Thompson and Fonua but I’m not sure how they will go as regular first graders.

• Gotta learn to win the ruck first

• @:

We’ve got one metre eater winger in Nofa and if rumours are on the mark Rona should be on the other wing. We’ve also got Thompson and Fonua but I’m not sure how they will go as regular first graders.

Fonua was a regular first grader at the Storm. He’s a lot better than a lot of people realise.

• @:

Gotta learn to win the ruck first

They are a big part of winning the ruck in attack. We need another nofo, what we save on fullback I reckon we pay overs for a superstar winger. Just have to look at mansours influence last week, Oates does the same, rapana etc. just gets them on the front foot and makes it easier for the props to make good metres.

• @:

defensively we struggle but in attack i think we are doing pretty good at the ruck.

centres are undervalued if anything tbh.

• When the heat comes on we struggle to make metres.i would think the stats would support my argument.

• @:

@:

We’ve got one metre eater winger in Nofa and if rumours are on the mark Rona should be on the other wing. We’ve also got Thompson and Fonua but I’m not sure how they will go as regular first graders.

Fonua was a regular first grader at the Storm. He’s a lot better than a lot of people realise.

Yep, absolutely. To be honest if we do sign Rona then Nofoaluma will need to improve out of sight to be a walk up starter for next year. I’m quite excited for Fonua to come on board. I think he’ll be a great signing.

• Well nofo is almost leading in tackle busts and would be going well in metres gained despite carrying a knee. Kev on the other hand……

• Banned

@:

So my view is that structure football is largely dead. Teams playing flat off quick play the balls with support pushing up (instead of hanging back for the structured plays) are starting to gain ascendency.

That being said are fullbacks who are crucial to second man plays overvalued compared to wingers? Given the move to more unstructured football I would contend a big metre eating winger with the ability to offload is as valuable as a ball playing fullback. Should we being making a play for big fast skillfull wingers. Jordan Rapana, josh mansour, the big Fijian Melbourne winger, Oates and Holmes are probably some of the more influential players in the competition and probably the most undervalued.

Thoughts?

Disagree about structure being dead. I chose a set in Penriths game tonight to predict it to the missus, they were attacking Canberras line and predicted exactly what they did each tackle, even down to how many passes they would throw each tackle and where on the field they would get tackled. The game is more structured then ever.

• Depends on your definition. We have been highly structured with our whole attacking structure being around setting up for second man plays to Tedesco. This means we go through the motions for 3-4 tackles to get ready. This telegraphs that these plays are coming and allow defences to adjust. Bulldogs and Souths would be other examples of highly structured football that’s not working. Melbourne still works because they execute so precisely after 10 years.

• @:

@:

I reckon this as well. I think we have too many options now in the backline. I like this though.

• @:

@:

They are a big part of winning the ruck in attack. We need another nofo, what we save on fullback I reckon we pay overs for a superstar winger. Just have to look at mansours influence last week, Oates does the same, rapana etc. just gets them on the front foot and makes it easier for the props to make good metres.

Wingers (and centres) work from kick returns to assist the forwards getting back onside and generally play little part in the half of the field where the ruck is normally won and lost for mine. They have been used in that role for many years and apart from the acrobatic finishing lifting in standard, I think little has changed.

• Good wingers are very much valued and paid accordingly. There’s just not many of them around.

Recent Topics