Sub Standard Training Facilities

• My apologies if this topic has been addressed elsewhere…

Does Wests Tigers have sub standard training facilities? Are players less likely to join the Wests Tigers as they think the training facilities are not up to the same standards as other clubs? Does any one on here [not named Braith Anasta] have any intel for the fans? Do we just grin and bear it and hope the new centre of excellence gets up and running? Could we bulldoze Concord Oval, build a 50 story Meriton apartment on top with a state of the art training facility underneath?

• It’s been widely known among us here their facilities are rubbish…

• i remember in 2012 when we were struggling after being comp favourites that sheens mentioned his priority is to upgrade the gym…

there are various things in a sports environment that needs to be set up. These athletes are performing at 80-90% of their capacity for long times in training. They need all the help they can get from massages, taping, conditioning programs, hydration, rehab management and rest.

I dont claim to know much about the WT facilities but every little thing counts. I did some sports coverage for a local soccer team and then for another soccer team which was less well managed. In terms of my job, I quit after two games simply coz they wanted me to bring my own taping which would’ve set me back a couple of hundered bucks.

I know others have had a go at Anasta for saying we didn’t have enough gatorade or not enough taping and from my experience, every little thing counts.

• We have a great kitchen at concorde…HT built it for the boys…nutrition is also very important… 😉

• Banned

I dont know much about the tigers facilities so would be great if anyone in the know can shed some light.

Last year i got to attend a bulldogs function at belmore headquarters. I can say i was truely amazed. Some of the things they showed us and discussed included:

• state of the art gymnasium
    • cinema room for video sessions
    • special ipad programs created to monitor players food, sleep, health patterns.
    • cameras all over their training sessions so they can watch themselves after training to see how set plays worked or not
    • tracking of players training and game day to determine heart rate, if they are tired…etc…
    • weekly dossier of opposing player to show highlights, tries, and historical movements during play
    • fulltime nutrionist
    • fulltime pyschologist

They have spent alot of money and ticked every box. Not having much success this year but i can see why they are a succesfull club.

• It was a result of the old shareholder agreement when Balmain and Western Suburbs owned 50% each. For years Balmain was financially unviable but held on for many years by borrowing from the NRL to make minimal contributions to the WT. Western Suburbs would only match Balmains contribution until the ownership structure reflected the size of the investment they were prepared to make. The result was they ran on the smell of an oily rag for way to long and never invested in upgrading training facilities, etc. While some things have improved under the new 75%/25% structure, unfortunately Western Suburbs are still having to manage their contributions based on Balmains input (ie, Western Suburbs put in 3 times whatever Balmain can afford). The sooner Balmain becomes financially strong or sells their share to a wealthy organisation, the better for the Wests Tigers finances.

• Banned

@:

I dont know much about the tigers facilities so would be great if anyone in the know can shed some light.

Last year i got to attend a bulldogs function at belmore headquarters. I can say i was truely amazed. Some of the things they showed us and discussed included:

• special ipad programs created to monitor players food, sleep, health patterns.
    • cameras all over their training sessions so they can watch themselves after training to see how set plays worked or not
    • tracking of players training and game day to determine heart rate, if they are tired…etc…
    • weekly dossier of opposing player to show highlights, tries, and historical movements during play
    • fulltime nutrionist
    • fulltime pyschologist

They have spent alot of money and ticked every box. Not having much success this year but i can see why they are a succesfull club.

Does the Doggies still have their basement swimming pool?

• @:

• fulltime nutrionist
    • fulltime pyschologist

Some of these blokes aren’t exactly the sharpest tools in the shed. Overcomplicating things may not be the best idea with them.

• @:

It was a result of the old shareholder agreement when Balmain and Western Suburbs owned 50% each. For years Balmain was financially unviable but held on for many years by borrowing from the NRL to make minimal contributions to the WT. Western Suburbs would only match Balmains contribution until the ownership structure reflected the size of the investment they were prepared to make. The result was they ran on the smell of an oily rag for way to long and never invested in upgrading training facilities, etc. While some things have improved under the new 75%/25% structure, unfortunately Western Suburbs are still having to manage their contributions based on Balmains input (ie, Western Suburbs put in 3 times whatever Balmain can afford). The sooner Balmain becomes financially strong or sells their share to a wealthy organisation, the better for the Wests Tigers finances.

An agreement like that wouldn’t stop either side from investing more money if they thought it was needed. Harry did the kitchen at WT for no return. An owner of a club should have more motivation than HT regardless of ownership %.

• ForumSupporter

You can only re-arrage a gym so many times….

I believe where we have fallen behind in the past though is the area of sports science…I don’t believe Sheens was ever a big advocate nor Potter…given the amount and frequency of injuries we copped as well as getting players back in a timely manner…

Say what you want about Taylor but we have greatly improved in that area in his tenure to much of a coincedence to put down to pure luck.

That may all change again under Cleary who will no doubt have his own views and ideas and more than likely his own staff…

• It does look like Taylor got one thing right: the injuries did dramatically decrease during his tenure.
    Some people may say that it shouldn’t matter so much what the gym is like, but it is to a degree a reflection on the club - and prospective players will place importance on it.
    Like any other job, you can get paid way more at one club than another, but you spend a lot of time there and the environment is a big factor.

As for the Anasta comments on the tape and Gatorade, well it is embarrassing.
    I was angry with him for saying it as I think he could show a little more class but there’s no refuting in this day for that to happen is extremely unprofessional.

• @:

My apologies if this topic has been addressed elsewhere…

Does Wests Tigers have sub standard training facilities? Are players less likely to join the Wests Tigers as they think the training facilities are not up to the same standards as other clubs? Does any one on here [not named Braith Anasta] have any intel for the fans? Do we just grin and bear it and hope the new centre of excellence gets up and running? Could we bulldoze Concord Oval, build a 50 story Meriton apartment on top with a state of the art training facility underneath?

Kul and I got a tour through the place a few years ago, and yes, it’s rubbish. Just about every inner city commercial gym in Sydney has better equipment than what the Tigers have. If the centre of excellence goes ahead it will truly be a godsend for the club, and community, giving them the facilities they need.

• Geez that’s embarrassing if true

• Who needs flash training facilities?! Hasn’t anyone seen Rocky IV?

• @:

Who needs flash training facilities?! Hasn’t anyone seen Rocky IV?

Exactly! All they need are some mountains and some snow.

And a montage of course

Recent Topics