James Maloney Contract.

• Rumours around the traps are that Maloney is not happy with his current contract and is looking for more money despite being signed on until the end of next year with Cronulla.

This thread isn’t so much an issue about where he’s headed, but what do you think in regard to the supposed reports that he is entitled to a pay rise? He was happy to sign his contract with Cronulla at the time (I gather that it was probably the best deal in front of him at the time,) and now because there has been a lift in the cap and players are signing on for stupid money he sees fit to want to sit down and renegotiate his existing contract.

Without knowing the structure of his contract, I’d assume that the rumours around it would suggest that Maloney had no clauses built in for cap rises. I think it’s a bit rich to sign a contract with a club at the time and then expect more money because the goalposts move with the cap. I get he’s probably dirty that players like Moses are on more money than him, signed purely on potential, but he should honour his contract and if he does request a release, the Sharks should be under no obligation to pay any of his fare to the new club.

Just my thoughts, what does everyone else think?

• There was chat about the sharks letting him explore his options in an attempt to get Cronk, if true though it is a bit rich but it just goes to show contracts arent worth the paper they are written on by club or player they always seem to be open to negotiation whether it be by either party.

• ForumSupporter

Hahaha…Contracts in Rugby League is what I think,

• I heard he is on some where between 500 and 600 a year. Now if Moses is getting about 800 a year, no wonder he thinks he deserves more. I would have thought any contract signed in the last few years would have a clause that takes into account the new salary cap, so I guess he should be asking his a manager a few questions.

Anyway he deserves top money, he is one of these players who attracts success and seems to be a winner where ever he goes

• If he requests a release the Sharks have no obligations, but they could ask for compensation from him to let him go. No extra dough though, as it works both ways, such as the ridiculous monies paid to Farah and Lawrence over the past couple of years for starters.

• @:

I heard he is on some where between 500 and 600 a year. Now if Moses is getting about 800 a year, no wonder he thinks he deserves more. I would have thought any contract signed in the last few years would have a clause that takes into account the new salary cap, so I guess he should be asking his a manager a few questions.

Anyway he deserves top money, he is one of these players who attracts success and seems to be a winner where ever he goes

I know it’s generally a rich tapestry in that clubs are looking for the for signings that will deliver the quickest successes (i.e. Cronk in this instance as already mentioned,) and Maloney is a proven winner. Was competitive at the Warriors in 2010/11 (incidentally when Ivan was coach,) won a title with the Chooks, and then with the Sharks.

But, if he has signed on for x amount and he has no clauses built in, and Cronulla do in fact want to hang on to him for 2018, is there any obligation for them to review his pay for 2018? I don’t think there is. No one forced him to sign the contract he took on, and it’s not Moses’ fault that Parra were stupid enough to pay him more than what Maloney is on.

• @:

I’m not talking about contracts in Rugby League in general Geo, just this particular instance. We know as a whole they’re generally a joke.

Generally players have incentives and cap increase allowances built into their contracts. The discussions in this instance mention nothing about increases. One would think the onus is on Maloney and his manager for not ensuring this, if it is in fact the case, and if so, he should probably see his contract out?

Not at all worried if he and the Sharks come to an agreement and he moves on elsewhere, but if the Sharks are happy to hang on to him for 2018 and pay him what was agreed to and Maloney doesn’t think that’s good enough I think it’s poor form.

• I just don’t know why he shifts clubs so often - the guy is the fundamental reason why Cronulla won the comp. I’m told it’s about money but clubs don’t seem very willing to retain him despite his record.

Personally I’d rank him above Milford and Hunt.

• He is the sort of player that I’d love at our club but we go for the opposite. He overperforms relative to his pay. Our guys underperform relative to their pay. I think teams go for players that are flashier than Maloney is and that is why he appears to be underpaid. It was just the market conditions.

I can see why he wants a pay rise and I think the club if possible should give him a pay rise. At the same time I don’t understand why players don’t save more money. If they just saved more they would be sweet and money wouldn’t be such a big issue to them.

• Maloney is hugely rated and underrated at the same time.

Would absolutely love him here. He is a winner.

If there is any truth to the rumour that he is restless at Cronulla then we should do whatever we can for his services. Much like we should do for Cronk.

Maloney + Reynolds halves combo would be mental.

…oh, I forgot about Brooks. I suppose that can happen when get carried away thinking about having established talent here… 😃

• @:

I just don’t know why he shifts clubs so often - the guy is the fundamental reason why Cronulla won the comp. I’m told it’s about money but clubs don’t seem very willing to retain him despite his record.

Personally I’d rank him above Milford and Hunt.

Storm -> Warriors to play first grade

Warriors -> Roosters…Who wouldn’t sign with them, they ha just picked up SBW, Jennings, McDonell, Moa etc. Chance to move back to aus

Roosters -> Sharks… Roosters were offering a crap deal, think it was 2 years for way less than Sharks

• @:

I heard he is on some where between 500 and 600 a year. Now if Moses is getting about 800 a year, no wonder he thinks he deserves more. I would have thought any contract signed in the last few years would have a clause that takes into account the new salary cap, so I guess he should be asking his a manager a few questions.

I think he deserves what he agreed to.
    We all know players get upgrades when they win a comp, make reps etc when theyre up for renewal…but without knowing full details of his deal were all just guessing here…he really needs to suck it up until neg time comes round again, or get a better agent

• @:

@:

I think he deserves what he agreed to.
    We all know players get upgrades when they win a comp, make reps etc when theyre up for renewal…but without knowing full details of his deal were all just guessing here…he really needs to suck it up until neg time comes round again, or get a better agent

That’s what I reckon Ink. Like I said, it’s only going media reports but one would deduce from the reports that he hasn’t got ratchet clauses in his contract, and if so that is his and his managers fault.

I’m not saying he can’t approach his club and ask for a pay rise, but if they say no and he has no legal footing to enforce a pay rise well he needs to suck it up and play on for what he signed for.

• I can see it both ways.

Ink has my primary feeling, if you aren’t a smart enough operator to include clauses to cover your future remuneration in light of shifts in player values, then you need better representation.

People who decided to sell their house in 2010 can’t complain about missing out on 2017 prices.

HOWEVER

It’s not as if contracts are sacredly revered by clubs either. Tigers were happy enough to move on Farah and Siro and pay for someone else to take them on. Both players were entitled to their money, but the club didn’t make guarantees that the money would be earned in a manner personally satisfactory to the players. Farah wanted to play firsts, Tigers were not willing, so Tigers moved the goal posts there, legally, but not in the spirit of the contract I am sure.

Maloney is doing the same, he’s trying to renegotiate an active contract in light of his proven performance. It’s not that unusual or unreasonable, in footy or other contract industries. Difference being Maloney is widely accepted as being in the top-tier of performers in his current role and he is in demand. Most people don’t have the luxury of external demand to renegotiate with their current employer.

It ends up being legally quite fair. Maloney is entitled to full pay for full performance for the duration of his contract, and nobody can be short-changed on money, neither player nor club. Maloney’s trump card is he’s a free agent from 2019 so he can leverage that against his current contract, e.g. if Cronulla want to keep him long-term, come to the party now. If they decline, so be it, he can’t wriggle his way out, but he can sign elsewhere in advance. Or he can wait and absorb Cronulla’s plans, then decide late that he wants out, leaving them in a hole (hello Turdesco).

Mitch Moses has also set a precedent, if you don’t get your way, players can be a disruptive enough influence to essentially force the club’s hand. Maybe 1 or 2 players doing this will be tolerated, but if it becomes a common thing, if Maloney starts to tank or cause trouble at training, I can see the NRL stepping in.

From everything I’ve read, the RLPA are getting bolder and bolder every year, making more demands and requesting more consultancy, and Maloney just happens to be a key voice within the RLPA, so I expect he is fully aware of his rights and tactics.

• ForumSupporter

@:

@:

I’m not talking about contracts in Rugby League in general Geo, just this particular instance. We know as a whole they’re generally a joke.

Generally players have incentives and cap increase allowances built into their contracts. The discussions in this instance mention nothing about increases. One would think the onus is on Maloney and his manager for not ensuring this, if it is in fact the case, and if so, he should probably see his contract out?

Not at all worried if he and the Sharks come to an agreement and he moves on elsewhere, but if the Sharks are happy to hang on to him for 2018 and pay him what was agreed to and Maloney doesn’t think that’s good enough I think it’s poor form.

They can just say no…then say Maloney asks for a release they can also say no…they then have an unhappy player on their books…who will most likely be gone the next year…conversly if the roles were reversed and Cronulla didn’t want Maloney for whatever reason they would not hesitate to move him along for as less cost to them as possible…with a year to run…like someone we know…

In the real world if you had a year to run on your contract with Company A…Company B then comes along and offers you a significant amount more to jump ship doing the same job…it would be see ya later Company A in a flash…

Recent Topics