One Club Has To Go

• Sydney can’t continue to support nine NRL clubs — one of them has to go

SOMETIMES I wish one of the nine Sydney-based NRL clubs would go broke.

Just one club and no one in particular.

It is the only way to get a second Brisbane team into the competition and that’s what the game needs right now more than anything else.

If we’re ever going to lift the average crowd from 15,000 to 20,000 in line with the strategic plan, having football at Suncorp every week instead of once a fortnight is the way to go.

Plus it would make the television rights more valuable because the networks desperately want strong ratings north of the border which is why the Broncos always get prime-time coverage.

NRL chief executive Todd Greenberg is already on record as saying that the game’s administration will no longer be in a position to bail out clubs that can’t manage their own finances.

With each of the 16 clubs getting $13 million grants from 2018, it leaves nothing in the NRL coffers to bail out anyone who goes broke.

Like the Wests Tigers who had to take out a $5.4 million loan from former CEO Dave Smith (since paid back by Wests Ashfield) to save the joint venture.

Or St George Illawarra chief executive Peter Doust who had to borrow — and still owes — $6.5 million from Smith despite having the best and most famous brand in the competition.

The Newcastle Knights and the Gold Coast Titans have also needed millions of dollars to stay afloat.

Sydney crowds have continued to stagnate.
    Once they are sold that’s it. Once Doust pays the money back, it’s all over.

Surely we all agree that a second Brisbane side to end the Broncos monopoly of having a major capital city to themselves is the way to go.

And no one wants to watch them every Friday night and have the advantage of seven-day turnarounds.

Put a second team in the comp and Brisbane families will finally get a chance to watch one local team on a sunny Sunday afternoon while the other Brisbane team plays on Thursday or Friday night.

Make Mal Meninga the figurehead, like a Gus Gould at Penrith.

This would also strengthen Sydney teams which are monopolising the wooden spoon every year because it is impossible under the current lopsided system for them all to be strong at the same time.

Brisbane needs a second team.
    Since 2001 Sydney and Newcastle clubs have taken the wooden spoon in 14 of the 16 premierships. How do they compete with a one team town like Brisbane?

So now to the prickly topic. Which of the Sydney-based clubs will go bust first?

Which Sydney-based club can make the Brisbane dream happen?

Obviously Parramatta and Penrith have to be there in Western Sydney heartland.

Manly have to be there as the only side north of the bridge until you get to Newcastle. Plus we need a team to hate.

It leaves the Rabbitohs, Roosters, Dragons, Bulldogs, Cronulla Sharks (let’s not even think about it) and the Wests Tigers.

Anyone who watched the Wests Tigers game on Friday night against the Titans at Campbelltown with a crowd of only 6000 would be concerned for them.

It was an embarrassment compared to the Swans — Essendon thriller at the SCG in front of 35,000.

Can the game afford to lose Campbelltown considering we already have the Panthers and the Eels covering the western suburbs?

Yet the Wests Tigers have 17,000 members and the most growth in 2017.

Wests Tigers have a thriving membership.
    The Bulldogs can’t go because they are supported by a thriving Leagues Club, one of the most successful in the state.

The Sharks are the premiers and own their own ground. St George Illawarra have no money but a great brand.

Same with the South Sydney Rabbitohs and surely we’ve learnt from the mistake of getting rid of them last time. And the Roosters are a foundation club with wealthy benefactors who would never allow it to happen.

None of the Sydney clubs will even entertain the idea of merging, even if it is for the good of the overall competition.

And we can’t just add a second Brisbane team and Perth because the current 16 clubs wouldn’t cop a smaller share of the revenue. A pie split 16 ways is better than 18.

Yet we all know nine Sydney teams is too many.

One has to go for the game to take its next step forward. From here on it’s the survival of the richest.

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sport/nrl/opinion/phil-rothfield/sydney-cant-continue-to-support-nine-nrl-clubs-one-of-them-has-to-go/news-story/acc75bc3829727275d6645b8bd3e1d69

This guy is a moron.

Sydney does not have to lose a club to fit a 2nd Brisbane team and a Perth team. His argument about low crowds is easily fixed. Lower the ticket prices so entire families can go as well as low to middle income earners, just like AFL do and you’ll pack the Sydney venues.

His other argument about the current clubs wont take less of the pie to accommodate 2 extra clubs is also crap. When the NRL begins negotiating its next TV deal, negotiate a bigger pie because extra games will be available to be televised. This is just another attempt by this imbecile to get rid of the Tigers.

This guy is a moron.

• Get rid of the Warriors …… would anyone miss them ??

• Banned

The Raiders represent a whole city that is more RL inclined than many Sydney suburbs. They have a strong fan base.

I have thought that the Wests Tigers could combine with the Doggies for a superclub. Their respective territories share many borders and demographics. Then, I believe, we could take on Brissie, Storm and Raiders with equal footing.

If not combine with the doggies than the eels.

• The Tigers have already merged. If other clubs need to merge so be it.

• Banned

@:

The Tigers have already merged. If other clubs need to merge so be it.

Regret to say but the Balmain side can only contribute juniors, it’s funny coz for decades my Maggies could only contribute wooden spoons. Now the joint venture is essentially only one club.

• ForumSupporter

Rorters, Manly or Souff’s for me…in fact wouldn’t miss all 3…

• Suprise Suprise Buzz the grub has just been on the grill team saying that there needs to be one sydney team removed from the comp . No prizes for guessing who he nominated. I’m so over that bloke.

• @:

@:

Regret to say but the Balmain side can only contribute juniors, it’s funny coz for decades my Maggies could only contribute wooden spoons. Now the joint venture is essentially only one club.

At least we have juniors unlike the Roosters. Why are they never mentioned to merge or relocate.

• @:

@:

@:

At least we have juniors unlike the Roosters. Why are they never mentioned to merge or relocate.

Big business end of town support.

• Don’t give him any oxygen.
    He and his DT cronies are pissed off because WT won’t give them any.

• I know it’s an unfounded article with no substance, but Wests have already done their bit, it’s someone elses turn.

Easts can be relocated to Alaska.

• As much as he has an agenda against us do you think he is wrong?

The Sydney market is saturated and at some point something has to give. I have worked in sponsorship in that market and the amount of marketing dollars that the “Blue Chip” companies have available has a limit. As a club we are fighting for those dollars with not only the other League teams in town but also every other sporting competition that is around; and that is provided that sporting sponsorships are even part of a large companies marketing plan.

The emergence of GWS as a potential AFL powerhouse in our own backyard has again diluted the sponsorship dollars further, added to this our poor performances since winning the comp and I think we are very vulnerable.

As much as I look at things with Black, Gold and White glasses at some point reality must kick in as well and based on our current position as a club I ask the question again, is Buzz wrong in what he says??

• Forget him. The bloke is like Alien, changed teams as an adult so he has no opinion worth hearing.

We’ve done our bit. Cronulla can merge back with St. George.

• Said it before - this bloke is so pumped up over his self importance. Who measures HIS value to the game.
    Unlike some clubs who just suck the blood out of junior development clubs, The wests tigers consistently produce juniors into the system.
    What about his definition of Parra/Penrith as the heartland of league. Surely Wests tigers will continue to grow at a greater rate than perhaps Easts/ Souths/ Manly Cronulla.

Dismiss this idiot as the fool he is. His opinion aint worth a pinch

• I can’t disagree with the general sentiment. As I’ve said a few times before, in the absence of any real NRL control over the salary cap/TPA level playing field, reducing the overall size of the comp will probably allow for a better spread of funds and therefore talent. If it were me deciding, i would reduce the comp by at least two teams.
    Should WT be one of those teams? I would argue that it shouldn’t, not simply because I support them but because apparently we have a very strong brand and broad support base. WT had better start winning though or I can see that support being eroded.

Recent Topics