You can't touch Mitch- eels vow to protect Moses

• From DT today
    …… “Jennings is relishing the challenge… bid to stop Mitchell Moses turning into a blue and gold speed bump…”

Yep another story… nuff said

• Too bad they couldn’t protect him from Coen Hess.

• We used to try and hide Benji in defense, but that was because his attack was awesome and made up for it. Cowboys do the same with Thurston.

Moses’ attack is nowhere near that level.

• Most clubs try to protect their halves. We just weren’t very good at doing it,
    Plus we had at least 2 other targets that needed a body guard as well, almost an impossible task

• As his defence was wanting, I used to think maybe we should play Benji as a second fullback. Have 11 in the line, Benji as a loiterer right behind it, and the fullback behind him.

I have never coached football which hopefully explains why I don’t see the probably obvious reasons that may make that a stupid idea.

But it’s an idea Eels could use. I give my permission Parra for you to use my idea. 😃

• It will be hard to protect Moses

• To be honest, Benji was not a bad defender relative to other halves. He went through a flat period, but that was mainly due to shoulder issues. At his peak, he generally did enough to get the job done. Having players like Galea, Ellis, Heighington and Fulton around him certainly helped.

Anyone else remember the tackle on Darren Smith in the 2005 semi final??

• @:

As his defence was wanting, I used to think maybe we should play Benji as a second fullback. Have 11 in the line, Benji as a loiterer right behind it, and the fullback behind him.

I have never coached football which hopefully explains why I don’t see the probably obvious reasons that may make that a stupid idea.

But it’s an idea Eels could use. I give my permission Parra for you to use my idea. 😃

We sort of used to do that, switch Benji to a wing-type role on kick defence; it’s the reason why Benji was back defending a kick in the 2005 GF when he gave THAT flick pass to Pat Richards.

But what you are talking about, the old-school “sweeper” role that many locks or halfbacks performed in the early 80s, e.g. Turvey Mortimer, the game has developed past that now.

Couple of reasons that either allowed you to field 11 in the front line or allowed the sweeper to be effective against tiring/slow opposition:

1. Teams used to only retreat 5 m, which gave the defence more time to shut down the attack.
    2. Balls used to be leather and they couldn’t be bullet passed flat like they are now, esp when wet.
    3. Average fitness was lower due to not all players being professionals, training techniques and equipment not as sophisticated, so the really fit and quick players had a large advantage. Also teams had lower interchange, so players really did tire as games progressed.

The game is just too fast now, teams are already heavily exploited with 12-player front lines, when teams sweep their fullbacks into the attack there is by definition an overlap every time. With 11-player front lines, I think there’d be carnage in terms of line breaks, and I don’t think it’s realistic any more to have a super fit and quick little fellow sweeping back and forward behind the line to make cover tackles, esp when so many line breaks are made out wide.

Who knows though the game might change again in 10 years.

• @:

It will be hard to protect Moses

Its easy to say yea we can protect moses. But in the heat of the game when momentum swings and the dogs recieve 2 or 3 good ball sets or attacking sets and the eels arent able to set their defensive line and are on the back foot a good defensive side needs every individual to do their job and work for eachother. Moses will expect edwards and jennings to save him every time. What that does is it puts both edwards and jennings in 2 different minds leaving themselves vulnerable for bad defensive reads. Moses needs to save himself or else the parra players will begin to get frustrated because not only is moses letting in the opposition to score it makes the players around him look poor.

• @:

The game is just too fast now, teams are already heavily exploited with 12-player front lines, when teams sweep their fullbacks into the attack there is by definition an overlap every time.

Good point - I have noticed there is always an overlap when we are defending.

• @:

@:

The game is just too fast now, teams are already heavily exploited with 12-player front lines, when teams sweep their fullbacks into the attack there is by definition an overlap every time.

Good point - I have noticed there is always an overlap when we are defending.

Well some teams now like Broncos intentionally add their fullback to the defensive line when defending close to their own line, to nullify that sweep within their own 20. Broncos back Boyd to make effective tackles and their Back 3 combination to peel off quickly for kick defence. They also back their line speed to apply kick pressure, and arguably Broncos have been one of the best goal-line defensive teams over the last 3 years.

Tigers on the other hand have struggled with this, our kick defence when the fullback is brought in to make tackles is really poor. Sharks scored both their match winners from kicks where the FB (Naiqama both times) was in the defensive line when the kick was put in. Our edge defence is brittle, our inside cover is fairly poor and our halves (before Tui) miss too many tackles.

• And I, iiiiiii, iiiiiiiii will always love youuuuuu

• ForumSupporter

Nah…

I told you homeboy u can’t touch Mitch
    Yeah that’s how we’re livin’ and you know u can’t touch Mitch
    Look in my eyes man u can’t touch Mitch
    You know let me bust the funky lyrics u can’t touch Mitch…

• Who cares?

• @:

And I, iiiiiii, iiiiiiiii will always love youuuuuu

😆

if you are a rugby league player, surely you must realise that HALF the game is defence?!
    this is not the NFL.

call me old fashioned, but i personally would be embarrassed at my team mates having to ‘pick up the slack’ for me in defence.
    if youre only going to be giving a club value in offence, then why do you get paid the same, if not more than, others who can attack and defend?

Recent Topics