Sionie Matautia

• Does anyone else feel like this kid is wasted in the back row?

I know it shouldn’t concern me as much because he plays for another club but he is an out and out winger. His career is being ruined in the backrow and he isn’t that big himself.

He may be tough but at 20 years old, he has such a long career to go which will be damaged by playing in the forwards. Just my two cents but I think he needs to be on the wing where he made his Australian debut.

• He’s absolutely not a winger, but he’s a year or two off being a good edge forward. I imagine he’d still be playing centre if they had other options, but Brown is playing the long game.

• I thought that when I saw him there at the start of the year, but he’s definitely making a fist of it. His defence is great and he runs harder than most, but I can’t help but think he’d be better off one slot further out playing in the centres, for his longevity if nothing else.

• ForumSupporter

Nah….wasted…don’t really care where he plays…

• A lot of similarities between him and Holmes to be honest. Would like to see Sione get first crack at fullback with Gagai going (won’t happen though), he’s by far the best of the brothers and if it was any other club than Newcastle he’d be the only Matautia in first grade

• Banned

Your kidding arent you Milky?
    His talents would be wasted on the wing. He is a very solid backrower with the potential to be a gun.

• Would you sign him for 2018 if he was off-contract?

• @:

Your kidding arent you Milky?
    His talents would be wasted on the wing. He is a very solid backrower with the potential to be a gun.

Possibly centre? As mentioned above, it would help his longativity in the game.

Benny, yes i would.

• @:

A lot of similarities between him and Holmes to be honest. Would like to see Sione get first crack at fullback with Gagai going (won’t happen though), he’s by far the best of the brothers and if it was any other club than Newcastle he’d be the only Matautia in first grade

I think you’d have to be slightly mad to not play Kalyn Ponga at fullback…

• On Sione I think he’d be best in the centres at the moment but long term he’ll be a good 2nd rower. He went well in the 2nd row at the back end of last year and I was expecting more of him this year to be honest. He’ll get there though, he’s a talented player.

• @:

@:

A lot of similarities between him and Holmes to be honest. Would like to see Sione get first crack at fullback with Gagai going (won’t happen though), he’s by far the best of the brothers and if it was any other club than Newcastle he’d be the only Matautia in first grade

I think you’d have to be slightly mad to not play Kalyn Ponga at fullback…

Forgot about him! Sione to the centres then 😉

Recent Topics