101 Great Rugby League Players

• Banned

I thought maybe spelt his name wrong so checked him out on wiki, Toowoomba had an amazing team.
    Wiki
    Steinhort’s father had emigrated to Australia in the late 19th century.[1] He was graded by the Valleys club of the Toowoomba rugby League in 1922 as a centre but soon moved to the forwards. He was known throughout his career for his uncompromising heavy tackling style. Along with his 1928 Kangaroo captain Tom Gorman, Steinohrt was a member of the 1924-25 world class Toowoomba side that beat all comers including Sydney premiers Souths, Brisbane, Ipswich and representative sides including New South Wales, Victoria, Great Britain and New Zealand.

• Pmsl…. I get a good laugh at some of your comparisons BBF.

Benji superior than Gasnier, Raper & Langlands is your best by far.

The old leather football and muddy pitches would’ve seen Benji reach the hights of Ball Boy, and that’s all. Andrew Johns may have played 20 games in the era of Chook & Puff.

You can’t compared today’s talent with yesterday’s…

• Banned

@:

Pmsl…. I get a good laugh at some of your comparisons BBF.

The old leather football would’ve made Benji reach the hights of Ball Boy, and that’s all.

Somewhere in that book as I mentioned they included Benji (though not Australilan) due to him being the most uniquely gifted player in the whole history of the game. Well those authors/authorities got it wrong as well - send them a note and tell them you want your money back, $49.99 haha Tell them pmsl as well whatever that may mean. It is not Benji’s fault they switched off cow hide due to Indian Hindu fanatics.

• @:

@:

The old leather football would’ve made Benji reach the hights of Ball Boy, and that’s all.

Somewhere in that book as I mentioned they included Benji (though not Australilan) due to him being the most uniquely gifted player in the whole history of the game. Well those authors/authorities got it wrong as well - send them a note and tell them you want your money back, $49.99 haha Tell them pmsl as well whatever that may mean.

I’d assume the authors weren’t ignorant enough to write Benji was ‘superior’ than Gasnier, Raper & Langlands. I’d assume they judged his talent based on the era Benji was playing.

• Banned

@:

@:

@:

Somewhere in that book as I mentioned they included Benji (though not Australilan) due to him being the most uniquely gifted player in the whole history of the game. Well those authors/authorities got it wrong as well - send them a note and tell them you want your money back, $49.99 haha Tell them pmsl as well whatever that may mean.

I’d assume the authors weren’t ignorant enough to write Benji was ‘superior’ than Gasnier, Raper & Langlands. I’d assume they judged his talent based on the era Benji was playing.

Because they did not qualify their statement we have to take it at face value. I watched those Dragon players a dozen times (all live) and they did not create the havoc that Benji and Jarryd did. I don’t think the ball made much difference to Jarryd’s side step. When he played gridiron with that little pill did he become metres faster? I doubt it.

• Banned

@:

@:

@:

@:

You did too, my apologies, I should have seen it.

He resurrected himself from Lagarus to Lazarus whenhe was 58 even though he is 51.

I was really squeezed for time when doing them BUT when I learnt typing from Sister Mary Fidales in 1962 we were allowed 3 mistakes every 100 words, there are 206 words there and 102 numbers but only one mistake so I would have passed my exam.

2 mistakes actually - Greg Inglish? 😆

Actually I think the error allowance was one mistake every 100 words so 3 mistakes on the large foolscap sheet - so still would have passed. I topped the class for speed.

• @:

@:

@:

@:

Because they did not qualify their statement we have to take it at face value. I watched those Dragon players a dozen times (all live) and they did not create the havoc that Benji and Jarryd did. I don’t think the ball made much difference to Jarryd’s side step. When he played gridiron with that little pill did he become metres faster? I doubt it.

Stop side stepping the fact YOU stated Benji was superior than Gasnier, Raper & Langlands. If Benji grew up in their era, I reckon he’d be in the stands with you watching the great St George Dragons march to thir 11th Grand Final Victory.

The leather football, especially wet, and the boggy pitches would’ve bought the majority of today’s players unstuck!

• ForumSupporter

I think Locky should have 11a. Tunsa Carroll next to him for all them tackles he made…

• Banned

@:

@:

@:

@:

Stop side stepping the fact YOU stated Benji was superior than Gasnier, Raper & Langlands. If Benji grew up in their era, I reckon he’d be in the stands with you watching the great St George Dragons march to thir 11th Grand Final Victory.

The leather football, especially wet, and the boggy pitches would’ve bought the majority of today’s players unstuck!

You sidestepped the reference to Yankie land - with their gridiron grounds even better than ours did Jarryd gain extra metres with that little pill? And I was never in the stands at a grand final - I was being dragged out by the cops.

• @:

I think Locky should have 11a. Tunsa Carroll next to him for all them tackles he made…

I hear this dribble over and over again. Why should Lockyer’s career be tarnished based on good coaching from Wayne.

Are you suggesting Thurston should have an 11a Cooper also? Should Johns have a 9a Buderus, for the great width he received from his dummy half?

Maybe Lewis should have a (NSW were Shit) next his name also?

• ForumSupporter

lol…didn’t even need worms…

• ForumSupporter

I can’t believe max krillich isn’t in there hate manly with a passion but for them & Australia he always gave 110 percent

• Don’t want to spoil your passmark BBf but…

Darren LOCKYER not Lockner
    Alan LANGER not Langar
    Brad FITTLER not Fitler
    Andrew ETTINGSHAUSEN not Ettinghausen

Plus the others already mentioned by others - 1 mistake per hundred, so at least 6 is a fail, Sister Mary Fidales would not be a happy person and would have the strap out.

In your favour all the numbers were correct.

Jokes aside - thanks for the list - I also can’t believe Max Krilich is not there and also if Brian Davies get a mention then how could you leave out Bill Marsh. Peter Diamond is also a glaring omission.

A lot of people in there that should not be also in my opinion - Peter Gallagher, John O’Neill etc…

I know it is subjective but some are just wrong.

As foe Benji and Robbie - not in the event I am afraid.

• Banned

Whilst posting had the missus screaming at me to take her out, notice it was done in parts - the complete opposite of exam conditions where absolutely no distraction was allowed. Examination texts are not 100% oddly spelt names (odd because of different nationalities) like that 101 list was. It was always Smith or Jones. Sister Fidalis was okay, it was Sister Mary Michael (Mad Mick) who was the crazy one. If you could not sing hymns in tune or multiply/divide correctly or know how to spell tabernacle she would screw your ear whilst whacking cane on the backside. With the girls she would even lift their tunic up in winter so it would sting on their frozen backsides. Years later she was in straight jackets in mental home. Seeing that you asked. That was the Catholic schools in 1950 and 1960s

The guys would throw her cane out of the window before Mad Mick arrived for class - that would make her more crazy. They had farting competitions by eating raw onions at lunchtime - poor Sister Mick.

• @:

@:

I know Cam Smith, Cronk, Slater and Thurston are great, but I hope they don’t come close to Churchill, Gasnier, Raper, Langlands and Dally. I never saw those generations play, but for some reason I like to think the previous guys were better.

Why I have no idea. Nostalgia for a time I never saw?

haha what a bizarre statement. How do you know the first four you mentioned arent twice as good if you have no point of reference?

Yeah it’s weird. I don’t know why, I just like to think they were better in the past. And how do I know, I don’t know, I can’t know, but I think the game used to mean more back then. Playing for the club meant more, more pride in the jersey, now it’s a job and a way to earn money.

Maybe it’s just I hope the game used to mean more back then.

Recent Topics