Eisenhuth commits till 2019..

• @:

@:

Eisenhuth eager to commit to Tigers
    Mon 31 Jul, 2017, 2:30pm
    By Tony Webeck, Chief Queensland Correspondent‌‌, ‌‌‌NRL.com

It took years slogging away in reserve grade and a cancer scare before Matt Eisenhuth earned his NRL call-up and now the 24-year-old is eager to repay the faith shown by the Wests Tigers by inking a new contract with the club.

A former Australian Schoolboy representative, Eisenhuth came through the grades at Parramatta before he was cut by then coach Ricky Stuart and ended up at the Panthers where he first came into contact with Ivan Cleary.

A change of coach at the foot of the mountains saw Eisenhuth make another move, this time to the Tigers, and after 18 months toiling away in the Intrust Super Premiership earned his coveted NRL debut in Round 15 and he hasn’t missed a game since.

At 192 centimetres and 108 kilograms Eisenhuth is hard to miss on a footy field and as he prepares to face his former club on Sunday continues to grow in stature with each game that he plays in the top grade.

In addition to his powerful carries and rock-solid defence it was Eisenhuth’s ball-playing against the Titans last Sunday that was most eye-catching, Cleary shuffling the popular Elijah Taylor to the second row in order to accommodate Eisenuth in the starting team.

By signing the likes of Ben Matulino, Russell Packer and Chris McQueen the Tigers have bolstered their forward pack significantly looking ahead to 2018 and Eisenhuth is hoping to also secure his future in the coming weeks.

“The last couple of weeks the talks have started to get underway,” Eisenhuth told NRL.com.

"My priority is to stay here. I want to stay here. The club’s moving in the right direction and I want to be a part of that.

“I’ll just leave it up to my manager for now and I’m sure he’ll come to me when something’s ready to be done.”

Whilst playing for the Panthers in 2014 Eisenhuth complained of pain in his knee and the discovery of a benign tumour put his rugby league career in very real jeopardy.

Cleary was head coach at the Panthers at that time and was delighted to give Eisenhuth his long-awaited debut this year and hinted that he will be given the chance to add to his tally of first grade games with the Tigers next year and beyond.

“We’d certainly like to. We’re pretty close to sorting that out,” Cleary said when asked about the prospect of Eisenhuth signing a new deal.

"Matt’s been really good. He was at the Panthers when I was coaching there and he was actually really unlucky. He got a tumour in his leg and playing football was probably the last thing on his mind at that stage.

“He’s a smart kid, he’s worked really hard playing lower grades for a while and he’s got his opportunity and he’s certainly taken it.”

With 50 games in the NYC across three seasons with the Eels and the rugby league world seemingly at his feet, Eisenhuth conceded that it has taken the rocky road he has been on the past four years to appreciate what playing NRL really meant to him.

“I probably took those little things for granted,” admitted Eisenhuth, the cousin of Sharks skipper Paul Gallen.

"When you were younger and you were coming through the grades you were thinking that it was all just going to be handed to you but how hard I’ve had to work, you appreciate it a lot more.

"In hindsight it’s a great thing. I’m really appreciative to the Tigers for giving me an opportunity and just taking every game as it comes and loving every minute of it.

"You have your doubts but I said when I made my debut game that I would have been happy to just go back and play A Grade footy with my brothers back locally.

"Just getting back and playing footy was the goal. Everything since that has been a bonus because it’s what I love to do and to be where I am now I’m pretty happy.

“To be part of the first grade side regularly was a goal and to be living it is outstanding.”

How refreshing to hear a player speak of being loyal to the club that gave him an opportunity. I think there are good times ahead for Eisenhuth because he not only has ability but seems to have a good head on his shoulders. There are a couple of other players who could learn a lot from this young man

+1

I was a young kid who went straight from school to uni years ago, and I remember always grouping up with the “mature” age students when doing group work as I knew that those guys were there to actually work hard and not just muck about.

Same as Eiso, he has the life experience, he knows it’s no easy ride, he knows you gotta work as hard as you possibly can and you still need to be lucky. Totally different to some others who don’t realise how good they have it, and show their true colours when the going gets tough.

• @:

@:

"My priority is to stay here. I want to stay here. The club’s moving in the right direction and I want to be a part of that.

What a refreshing response! Has earned a contract extension, would love to see him signed for 3 years as well to partner Twal.

I reckon, that is the sort of response I expected out of our “captain.”

Yes but our "captain’ never wanted to stay here…which is why he kept on Ummm ing and kept on referring to his Missus

• @:

@:

@:

What a refreshing response! Has earned a contract extension, would love to see him signed for 3 years as well to partner Twal.

Yes but our "captain’ never wanted to stay here…which is why he kept on Ummm ing and kept on referring to his Missus

Even if he had no intention of staying, act like a captain and back the club. You can always talk up the changes the club are making and say later that you signed elsewhere because you had to “look after your family” (i.e. chase the money.)

• @:

@:

@:

@:

Even if he had no intention of staying, act like a captain and back the club. You can always talk up the changes the club are making and say later that you signed elsewhere because you had to “look after your family” (i.e. chase the money.)

Ivan Cleary seems to think he is acting like a captain but I guess he is not as informed or as close to the situation as the punters.

• @:

@:

@:

@:

Ivan Cleary seems to think he is acting like a captain but I guess he is not as informed or as close to the situation as the punters.

You’re right, we can only go by what our captain says in the media, which hasn’t inspired many. Maybe Ivan wanted Woods to oversee the train wreck until the end.

• @:

@:

@:

@:

You’re right, we can only go by what our captain says in the media, which hasn’t inspired many. Maybe Ivan wanted Woods to oversee the train wreck until the end.

Im sure Ivan can see whats going on. No point creating further chaos in a team that needs no more distractions or excuses. The season is gone and there is more to gain from leaving Woods in as Cap than there is by dismissing him.

But i agree it would have been great to hear that from Woods as our club captain. even if he was intending to sign elsewhere he could have said the above words and after he signed with the Dog’s he could have trotted out the “it is what it is” line.

• @:

@:

@:

@:

Im sure Ivan can see whats going on. No point creating further chaos in a team that needs no more distractions or excuses. The season is gone and there is more to gain from leaving Woods in as Cap than there is by dismissing him.

But i agree it would have been great to hear that from Woods as our club captain. even if he was intending to sign elsewhere he could have said the above words and after he signed with the Dog’s he could have trotted out the “it is what it is” line.

Or maybe Ivan is a bit more informed about the state of affairs of the club he took on and is a bit more philosophical why Woods and Teddy decided to leave given what has transpired over the last two years. Being the father of player in the game and coming from a club that has got its act together, sort of think he would understand better than most why Woods and Teddy took opportunities elsewhere. As they say timing is everything

• @:

@:

@:

@:

Or maybe Ivan is a bit more informed about the state of affairs of the club he took on and is a bit more philosophical why Woods and Teddy decided to leave given what has transpired over the last two years. Being the father of player in the game and coming from a club that has got its act together, sort of think he would understand better than most why Woods and Teddy took opportunities elsewhere. As they say timing is everything

It isn’t the fact that they chose to leave that irks people, it is the shifty, spineless manner in which Ted and Woods went about it.
    Good news on Eisenhuth if he re-signs.

• This team was someone else’s … Cleary does not take full ownership until seasons end ,he has done the right call on Woods being captain for the remainder of the season.Pre season new players /new captain /clean slate the beginning of the Ivan Cleary tenure.

• @:

@:

@:

@:

Or maybe the fans are the ones that keep him and his missus in the way they are accustomed, whilst children look up to him and he should have shown them respect. Doesn’t matter what he is doing now, the way he treated them with contempt, any bloody wonder he was booed by some earlier this year.

• @:

@:

@:

@:

Or maybe the fans are the ones that keep him and his missus in the way they are accustomed, whilst children look up to him and he should have shown them respect. Doesn’t matter what he is doing now, the way he treated them with contempt, any bloody wonder he was booed by some earlier this year.

I undersrand that you are filthy at him but everything Woods has got he has earned himself just like every other successful sports person. Fans turn on sports people in the blink of an eye if their form drops, and embrace others if they can see value in them regardless of where their origins are - re Josh Reynolds
    Fans support players who help their team win and cant get rid of less talented ones quick enough.
    As for Woods treating fans with contempt I think we can safely say their is a proporton of fans who have more than outshone that score.

• Michael Chammas of the Sydney Morning Herald speculates a possible Woods back flip if the Dogs can’t sort out their salary cap problems:

http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-league/league-news/wests-tigers-study-bulldogs-salary-worry-in-hope-of-retaining-skipper-aaron-woods-20170801-gxn6i0.html

• We would love him back for 200k per year. Not a cent more.

• Forgot to quote Telltails above, so “you” below refers to him.

Nearly every cent Woods has earned came from fans, the vast majority of it from Wests Tigers ones, some of it mine and probably yours as well.

There is a damn sight of difference between the contempt you talk of from some fans and as much as some of it is over the top, and I certainly don’t condone it, at least the disrespect they are showing is from a considered position in response to words and actions from Woods that disregarded them completely.

I am actually less “filthy” at him than I am at apologists such as yourself. Reason being that you probably have much greater knowledge than him and many that are hauling abuse. Yet they understand that this guy who may well be smarter and earning ten times more than some of them, neglected them all, especially the ones that wear his name on their backs.

Eisenhuth is not captain and earning bugger all, yet what a great attitude he displays to the fans.

• @:

Michael Chammas of the Sydney Morning Herald speculates a possible Woods back flip if the Dogs can’t sort out their salary cap problems:

http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-league/league-news/wests-tigers-study-bulldogs-salary-worry-in-hope-of-retaining-skipper-aaron-woods-20170801-gxn6i0.html

The devestating part of that article is how close we came to Corey Harawira-Naera

A Panther pads

At least Corey Harawira-Naera knows he can trust Penrith Panthers teammate Nathan Cleary. During his contract negotiations a couple of months ago, Harawira-Naera went out to the Cleary residence to meet with Ivan Cleary about the prospect of joining him at the Wests Tigers next season. There was Nathan, lurking in the background.

“It was pretty funny. We had a meeting with him at his place and Nathan was home,” Harawira-Naera said. "He had to keep a quiet mouth around here. He couldn’t really say anything. It was a bit weird. But Ivan is a nice guy. He did have me sold. It was hard to backdoor it on him, but I’m glad I did because I never wanted to leave. Ivan knew that I didn’t want to leave, so when he found out Penrith placed an offer he knew my mind would have changed real quick.

“I was pretty close to going there. It was a bit hard because my mind was made up to go to the Tigers, but once they showed interest here, I wouldn’t say I backflipped but it changed my mind. I didn’t want to leave the Panthers. As soon as the opportunity came up to stay, I signed straight away. I’m really humbled and blessed the Panthers offered me a few more years. I owe them and I’m in debt to them for what they’ve done and the faith they’ve shown in me.”

Recent Topics