Team analysis like Brad Arthur

• Anyone hear Brad Arthur talk about Parramatta on MMM recently?

I was really impressed. He actually gave real answers.
    i.e. why was Jennings switched from left to right. Because we found we were leaking points heavily on the right. How do you feel about your halves, they had a great game. They still need A LOT of work, they have come together but room for massive improvement. What do you think of Nathan Brown, we noticed that he had a passing game in him and that when he was passed the ball in his last team he became deadly.

He really knew his team and he really drilled down where his team were weak and strong. I realise now it was a mistake in not hiring him when we had the chance.

Has anyone done this on the current West Tigers? Where are we leaking points. Has Ivan given as candid an interview?

• Some coaches are happy to talk specifics with the media, some play their cards a bit closer. I don’t think it has much bearing on how they actually coach, but it is nice as a fan to have decisions properly explained to us.

Hasler and Bennett are one end of the scale, Brad Arthur is the other. Cleary falls somewhere in the middle.

• Being very open and forthcoming gets you one thing: a free ride from the less ethical end of the Sydney media. Look at Parra: one year on from a salary cap scandal that exposed the club as one of the most consistent cheats of recent times, with a board that categorically refused to accept responsibility for its actions. They also haven’t won the comp for 30 years and haven’t made the finals since 2009. Yet the Telegraph is pumping their tyres as plausible winners this year and as - seriously - “the Broncos of the West” as a club.

• @:

Has anyone done this on the current West Tigers? Where are we leaking points. Has Ivan given as candid an interview?

Ivan has spoken of similar things repeatedly since he’s joined.
    He moved Suli back to centre straight away, put Idris on the right to stop us leaking points on that edge, has steadily moved ET wider etc.

• @:

Anyone hear Brad Arthur talk about Parramatta on MMM recently?

I was really impressed. He actually gave real answers.
    i.e. why was Jennings switched from left to right. Because we found we were leaking points heavily on the right. How do you feel about your halves, they had a great game. They still need A LOT of work, they have come together but room for massive improvement. What do you think of Nathan Brown, we noticed that he had a passing game in him and that when he was passed the ball in his last team he became deadly.

He really knew his team and he really drilled down where his team were weak and strong. I realise now it was a mistake in not hiring him when we had the chance.

Sure but you aren’t confusing being candid with not knowing the details of your team, are you?

Wayne Bennett never says squat about his plans or team weaknesses, doesn’t make him lacking.

I personally think it’s a mistake for a coach to reveal his cards too much in the media. I didn’t hear the Arthur interview so I cannot really comment, but basically you’ve quoted from him talking up positives about his side that is travelling ok. Of course he’s happy to talk at length about Nathan Brown, not as if Nathan Brown is a liability or being targeted by oppositions.

Same as with Jennings, maybe he’s talking about the switch now because he’s confident in the result it’s produced, but was he telling the media about plans to switch Jennings when Parra’s RHS was leaking points? Which, as we are aware, is Slimy Fart’s side.

I’ve heard Nathan Brown, Cleary, Stuart be candid about their team’s flaws and failings, about their room for improvement, but also not heard them throw anyone under the bus, which they should not be doing.

• @:

Being very open and forthcoming gets you one thing: a free ride from the less ethical end of the Sydney media. Look at Parra: one year on from a salary cap scandal that exposed the club as one of the most consistent cheats of recent times, with a board that categorically refused to accept responsibility for its actions. They also haven’t won the comp for 30 years and haven’t made the finals since 2009. Yet the Telegraph is pumping their tyres as plausible winners this year and as - seriously - “the Broncos of the West” as a club.

It really annoys me how quickly Parra’s cheating has been swept under the rug

Less than 12 months on and it had already been forgotten, and they were seemingly in the running to sign nearly every good player off contract as well.

• Anyone heard his analysis on Alex Twal?

• Brad Arthur is a very smart coach and deserves his success.

Ivan is also a very smart coach who is very quiet but knows his job and how to achieve success.

2018 has always been his focus and clearing out the 2017 mess.

Looking forward to 2018.

• There is a direct correlation between how chatty a coach is and how many games his team are winning at the time. Coaches on a winning run won’t shut up about every aspect of their team ie Ricky Stuart last season. Interesting to see how keen Arthur is to wax lyrical about the Eels when they get their backsides spanked in the semi’s.

Recent Topics