Thought i’d start a thread where we can discuss the form of different players leading into origin. NSW has so many positions up for grabs there’s plenty to talk about.
I’d like to start by saying Josh Morris should never play origin again. He’s a very good NRL centre. But i thought he was poor in game 3 last year and on last night Falou outclassed him so much early in ther game. He just isnt the answer for NSW.
2 big dilemmas for selectors is finding a captain, i cant have Gidley in my starting team so they must find someone else, and a goalkicker. Carney kicks goals but will they pick him at 6 when he’s been playing fullback? Defensively it must be a big ask for him to come into the front line at the highest level after being at the back.
As far as the tigers go, the players i believe could be looked at at some stage over the series is Farah, lawrence, Galloway for obvious reasons.
But i also believe Fulton could play a great role at that level and Gibbs could be a surprise packet.
2. B Morris
4. M Cooper (originally had Jennings but put him on bench for impact)
5. Quinn (don’t know, who else)?
7. M Pearce
15. L Douglas
16. J King
17. Mason (looks like he has something to prove)
Watmough is a must, he absolutely dominated last year in origin, he will take the game to the Queenslanders.
5. not sure, waiting for someone to put their hand up
6. Carney (gk)
2. J Morris
5. B Morris
6. T Campese
7. J Mullen (although they will pick Gidley somewhere)
As usual we have a million backrowers. Bit reluctant to have Gallen AND Watmough as they miss too many tackles. Hayne has to picked at FB, the Morris brothers pretty much look in. Cooper I’d given up on but his form this year has been good and his defence is top class. Halves are the issue. Campese looks in form. Halfback just needs to be someone tough who has good options and can find the grass kicking. Still a lot of open slots…
Personally I think KG will be lucky to make it but he should be in. Brett White doesn’t really make it on form but deserves a bench spot as an enforcer after KOing Steve Price!!
After the injuries the last few weeks i think both teams will look like this
2 B Morris
16 B Scott
2. B Morris
4. J Morris
6. Carney (gk)
7. Pearce (If fit, if not then Kimmorley)
14. Lewis (Ideally he’d play in the backrow to ease pressure on the halves. But can come on for one of the outside backs, if the halves arent working he could replace Carney, or, play 5/8, Carney to fullback with Hayne on the wing.)
15. Snowden (Straight swap for Weyman)
16. Galloway (Straight swap for Douglas)
17. Creagh (Rotates the interchange between the backrowers)
Im not sure about the captaincy but one of the backrowers would be my picks, so I went with Waterhouse, I think he’s a lot like Nathan Hindmarsh.
If Anasta or Kimmorley are anywhere near this side god help us!
Those that are picking Lawrence on the wing what r u thinking?
Debuting in an Origin game is nerve racking and hard enough without playing in an unfamiliar specialist position.
I don’t think he’s good enough to be in the side yet anyway, but why would you play him out of position.
Have a look at what he did on the weekend, wingers have to diffuse attacking kicks and come under more pressure than anyone on the field.