Our best and worst WT coaches

• Ranking them was harder than I thought, and there is a clear distance between the best two and the rest.

1 (BEST) Sheenius*

2 Ivan

3 JT

4 Mick Potter

5 Wayne Pearce

6 Lamb

*Sheens is a clear #2 if this resurgence under Cleary continues.

JT got us playing better defense than Potter and perhaps had to undo some of the mess that Potter inherited/created. I’m sure some will say he made his own mess though…

• Lamb did come up with some surprise tactics to put the opposition off their game

• @:

Lamb did come up with some surprise tactics to put the opposition off their game

:roll

• 1. Tim Sheens
    2. Daylight
    3. Ivan, on potential not performance
    4. Wayne Pearce, had some early success
    5. Mick Potter, had a plan, didn’t have the chance to implement it
    6. Terry Lamb, good footballer
    7. And last, Jayson Taylor, with management tore the club apart and managed to put us in the position where our best and highest paid player was unable to continue playing for us because of the ego of the coach.

• I’d rate them the same Krayola.

Sheens number 1 for '05, as well 2010-2011. It was time for a new coach after 2012 though.

Ivan looks to be the goods.

Taylor - got us to within a win of the finals with what was a pretty weak squad. Low point was playing taylor ball in mid 2015. There were a few games we lost due to do nothing in attack other than 5 hit ups and a bomb.

Potter - I loved the 4 forwards off the bench, especially when Taupau/Gavet/Sue were killing it. Ultimately though he seemed to have no fire in his belly, and was neither a motivational or strategic coach.

Pearce - don’t remember much of 2000 as I was only in year 3.

Lamb - also don’t remember much, but I associate him with 2001 when we had the hopoate incident and the field/mcguinness drug suspensions.

• Sheeens
    Ivan
    Pearce
    Taylor
    Potter
    Lamb

• Sheens
    Ivan

Not one else should be mentioned. Ivan might overtake Sheens.

• Sheens
    Ivan
    Potter
    JT
    Pearce
    Lamb

• Ivan has done well so far but has only been here for 3/4 of a season.

Sheens is our only coach who has had any success.

• No other coach has mentored the team to win a premiership, yet other than Tim Sheens.
    Let’s wait and see if Ivan can do this as well.

When Tim Sheens was announced as coach, I had a feeling the team would go well.
    The same happened when Ivan Cleary was appointed.

• Sheens (won a premiership, had us looking sharp and playing good football)
    daylight
    Pearce (we were okay until injuries killed us that season)
    Potter (looked good at times, but at other times we were a circus)
    more daylight
    Taylor (a few nice runs, otherwise it was a shambles, it seems like he fell out with everyone)
    Lamb (embarrassing, we were a walking punchline under him)

Cleary probably will fall in slot number 2, although to be fair every coach apart from Sheens has been a failure here.

• @:

No other coach has mentored the team to win a premiership, yet other than Tim Sheens.

That’s the thing though, he was in charge 9 years and got us in the 8 only three times. We managed to coach three good teams in 9 years…not particularly impressive. And it’s not like he was in hot demand before he came or after he left (the Australian job doesn’t count). Ive no doubt he was hamstrung by the administration for lots of those years but his position at the top of the tree will be questioned in the next two years.

• @:

@:

No other coach has mentored the team to win a premiership, yet other than Tim Sheens.

That’s the thing though, he was in charge 9 years and got us in the 8 only three times. We managed to coach three good teams in 9 years…not particularly impressive. And it’s not like he was in hot demand before he came or after he left (the Australian job doesn’t count). Ive no doubt he was hamstrung by the administration for lots of those years but his position at the top of the tree will be questioned in the next two years.

Considering none of the other coaches have ever made the semis, it’s relatively impressive.

• 1. Sheens
    2. Taylor
    3. Potter
    4. Pearce
    5. Lamb

I’ll give Cleary a year with his own squad before adding him to the list.

• Not sure how people rate Pearce behind Potter and JT. We were coming 2nd before everyone got injured. Taylor went close to terminally wounding the club. Potter was unlucky and deserved better but that night up in Townsville was terrible. So for me:

Sheens
    Pearce
    Potter
    That bloke who did for 3 weeks earlier this year
    = last Lamb, Taylor

Cleary probably a clear 2nd now but I’d like to see what happens next year

Recent Topics