Goal kicker needed

• Can Ivan rely on Tui to kick goals next year?

We need a reliable goal kicker if we are to make the eight. It is essential.

From what I am seeing we have three candidates: Tui, Benji and Gamble. Of the three, only Tui is expected to be a regular starter at fullback but his goal kicking is a real concern.

Does anyone know of any other options in lower grades?

• ForumSupporter

Lolohea has kicked 34/46 at 75% before hitting the posts twice yesterday he was 9/9 …

I don’t see why he can’t improve especially with the tutelage of Brett Hodgson who will be working with our kickers next year…

• He looks like he has such an over thought process and too many moves when he approaches the kick, he only needs to be slightly out of groove with one of his movements and he is off target.

I think the best thing he could do is simplify his approach and he would probably have more consistency because he always strikes the ball well.

Unfortunately we don’t seem to have any other options and I’m hoping that as an ex kicker Cleary can either improve him over the off season or at least get a kicking coach in to look at his technique.

• @:

Lolohea has kicked 34/46 at 75% before hitting the posts twice yesterday he was 9/9 …

I don’t see why he can’t improve especially with the tutelage of Brett Hodgson who will be working with our kickers next year…

Good point on Hodgo hadn’t thought about that.

• Who else is there?
    I cannot think of anyone else other than Suli.
    Talk was earlier that he is/was a goal kicking centre coming through the grades.

• I don’t think he is too far off being a reliable goal kicker, he does strike them well and is only slightly off target. He just needs plenty of practice over the off season. Moses was the same, struck them well, but off target & inconsistent - now he is potting them from everywhere!

• @:

I remember Grant Fox (best kicker I have seen) giving a talk about goal kicking at practice to some of us, about 1990. Two things to be a good kicker. 1) you have to have the sort of mentality that you want to take the match winning kick from the sideline. Really want to. 2) goalkicking is from there all muscle memory. You have to have an uncomplicated routine. Every kick should be exactly the same. 1000’s of times and your feet should be in the same spot. Lolo’s skip in his run up makes that hard. When he comes done you cannot guarantee your planted foot (at striking) is going to be in the exact place you want it to be. only have to be out by a fraction and you will hook or slice.

• Lolohea has a very awkward approach to striking the ball, but I don’t see who else we could call upon within our likely top 17 who could do a better job.

• Lolohea strikes them ok but to miss goals from 20 in / 20 out is unacceptable at this level .
    Can brooks kick goals ?

• Ideally we’d have a better goal kicker but you need a player who can make the top team. Is there a better option ?

• Rankin off the bench he can be our impact player.

• We desperately need a kicker. I’m mystified that some people still say we’ll be OK.

• Tui strikes the ball well. His setup is terrible way too many moving parts it’s impossible to get consistency.
    He needs to simplify his setup and keep exactly the same steps back and steps in every time with his body still.
    Thurston would struggle to kick 70% with Tuis action

• % Name
    89% Adam Reynolds
    89% Nathan Cleary
    87% James Maloney
    87% Johnathan Thurston
    85% Mitchell Moses
    82% Jarrod Croker
    82% Jordan Kahu
    81% Gareth Widdop
    80% Kerrod Holland
    80% Trent Hodkinson
    79% Shaun Johnson
    78% Michael Gordon
    74% Cameron Smith
    72% Tuimoala Lolohea
    71% Matthew Wright
    65% Ashley Taylor

These are 2017 goal kicking percentages worked out using stats from NRL.com. I’ve chosen the main kicker for each club, and Lolohea ranks 3rd from last. The following backup kickers are also better than Lolohea.

88% Brock Lamb
    78% Ethan Lowe
    75% Clinton Gutherson

• @:

34/46 = 74%
    and nrl.com actually says he is 34/47 = 72%
    😃

Recent Topics