Duel Badgers..

• ForumSupporter

NRL on verge of historic decision to have female referee for Wests Tigers v NZ Warriors match
    By The Mole
    35 minutes ago

The NRL is seriously considering breaking with over a century of tradition next weekend by handing a woman a whistle to referee a first grade game. I’m hearing that either Kasey Badger or Belinda Sleeman will handle the final round game between the Wests Tigers and New Zealand Warriors.

The game has no bearing on the finals race, so the NRL sees it as an ideal opportunity to give a female a chance at the elite level.Badger is favoured to get the nod for the job having refereed in the lower grades and proving herself right up to standard this season.
    Sleeman has also been doing a good job as a sideline official in the NRL.

There have been calls to give one of the women a chance for much of the season - particularly in the light of the struggles many of the male referees have had.

Badger or Sleeman is expected to be the pocket - or secondary - referee… but it will be a major step for females in Australian sport nonetheless. Refereeing appointments will be made on Tuesday and I’m being told it’s not a done deal - but it’s close to becoming reality.

http://wwos.nine.com.au/2017/08/27/11/52/nrl-on-verge-of-historic-decision-to-have-femal-referee

• ForumSupporter

Kasey and Gavin…

Could only happen to us…

• “The game has no bearing on the finals race”.

Because we wouldn’t want a woman in charge of a game that was. Just shows that it has nothing to do with giving a woman a game because she’s earned it, rather just because she’s a woman.

• That would be right.

Kasey Badger is real good at picking up forward passes……???

• Banned

Has she earnt it? Anyone know?

• Wasn’t the other option (Sleeman) the one that put our 20’s side out of the comp one year when she missed someone stepping into touch and failing to ground the ball?

I should have guessed this level of incompetence is what will get you noticed & fast-tracked in the NRL referee ranks.

• @:

Has she earnt it? Anyone know?

The guys on Triple M rate Badgers but to have token female’s on tv just because your a women you get a job is bad …… I personally would love a few of the Australia women’s rugby league team on the commentary teams that would be great to get there opinion and they play they game love the game and they can make extra cash I hope they will do that soon because the Sims women is great

• Oh glorious times ahead :brick:

• Why should it matter whether the game is meaningful or not? Either they’re good enough for NRL or they’re not. It’s not a rule change.

• If they put some of the usual nufties to shame, will they hold their sports for the semi-finals?

• @:

Why should it matter whether the game is meaningful or not? Either they’re good enough for NRL or they’re not. It’s not a rule change.

hmm it’s not a rule change but a woman hasn’t tasted the intensity of reffing an nrl game in the middle, it’s uncharted territory.

no sexism or feminism or offensiveness here guys, let’s move on.

• @:

@:

Why should it matter whether the game is meaningful or not? Either they’re good enough for NRL or they’re not. It’s not a rule change.

hmm it’s not a rule change but a woman hasn’t tasted the intensity of reffing an nrl game in the middle, it’s uncharted territory.

no sexism or feminism or offensiveness here guys, let’s move on.

It’s uncharted for anyone who hasn’t done it before. Clearly some of the current crop aren’t up to it, Mr Badger included.

• Yep. . . Every Male Ref Debuts At Some Stage

• If she has not earned the right to referee an NRL game on merit, then she should not be there next weekend regardless of the match having no impact on the finals. Don’t want someone in the referee ranks simply as a token badger.

Could be another piece of history made at Leichhardt.

• I have no problems giving them ago, really would have to be better than a few I have seen this year

Recent Topics