Our immediate future

We’ve paid overs for a few players, but with depth and a more even spread of talent it’s about trying to make us competitive to be able to have a tilt at the top line players. We make the 8 for the next couple of years, dust up a couple of big sides and we suddenly look a more attractive prospect for future candidates.

Wonder what we are paying for Twal? What happens if he performs and when his contract is up, we are stuck paying another couple of front rowers more than he is on for another 2 years

@:

Wonder what we are paying for Twal? What happens if he performs and when his contract is up, we are stuck paying another couple of front rowers more than he is on for another 2 years

This is the problem with overpaying.

@:

@:

@:

Packer looks like crap couldn’t even bust the Scottish defence.
Hope he is not another Blair type signing.

He has not had a great tournament so far. Hopefully tapering for the finals.

Packer made 173 meters with 15 carries and also scored a try i would be happy if he put in that kind of performance for the Tigers.

To get those numbers in first grade would be a very solid performance. To get them against Scotland isn’t really indicative of anything.

@:

@:

@:

@:

Packer made 173 meters with 15 carries and also scored a try i would be happy if he put in that kind of performance for the Tigers.

To get those numbers in first grade would be a very solid performance. To get them against Scotland isn’t really indicative of anything.

It is good considering the backs would of been getting most of the ball and he doesn’t play the full game

I’m not going to analyse the team when we haven’t even started yet.

We don’t know any better than Ivan himself, and he has been a proven coach.

I’m content to sit and wait what he makes of the team.

@:

@:

@:

@:

:crazy :crazy :crazy

He has only played against a couple of teams (off the bench). So from where else can he get “those numbers”.

I’ll have a bet that he will be picked in the team this week.

I haven’t been this exited for a new season for quite a few years now.

I am not getting ahead of myself either because our start to the season will be very difficult with playing the top 4 teams 5 times in the first 5 weeks. Hopefully we can hit the season running to get some early upsets starting with the Roosters in round 1.

I am hoping that the first 6 weeks of the season do not see us westixed from finals contention very early on

Our main issue has always been defence which would then compromise our attack as heads dropped. In the last five or so games last year IC had the players on board with his idea that they were fit enough but their psyches had them believing that they couldn’t raise the extra effort required at the back end of games.

Once that hurdle was mostly out of the way, the team began to compete for the 80 minutes. The net result was that we gave some of the more fancied teams a real red hot go for the money. Of course the defensive systems were tinkered with and our right side and our scramble improved greatly.

With the off season geared to playing the coach’s style, I think we will see another, bigger, step up next year and we might just shock some of the salary cap wranglers and the first six weeks will be very interesting to watch, even if it takes a few weeks to lock in combinations and the new playing style.

So, for me, our immediate future is looking brighter than last year with a few rough patches along the way. I am, as always, the eternal optimist; why else would I have followed Wests/Wests Tigers for the last 56 years. (but who’s counting? Not me!)

Forever an optimist…. and I always get burnt (also an arsenal fan).

But I suspect we will be top 8 this year.

I think the first 6 rounds we will beat Eels and Sea Eagles maybe Storm in the second game would love to be Roosters

@:

I think the first 6 rounds we will beat Eels and Sea Eagles maybe Storm in the second game would love to be Roosters

Even just the two wins would be gravy.

In the next 19 games if they can win about 2/3 of the games they will be right in the mix. You really only need 50% plus 1 to make the 8

A good result will be for us to be competitive in all games. Great will be bottom of the top 8.

@:

I am hoping that the first 6 weeks of the season do not see us westixed from finals contention very early on

I’d rather that then pull a Saints amd jump out of the gates thanks to a soft draw only to come crashing down after round 10.

Recent Topics

Support our community by clicking here and joining our Forum Support Scheme

Can’t log in or access your account?
Send an email to contact@weststigersforum.com and we’ll get you back online.