The Bench

• So what I want to talk about is less the individuals on the bench but the structure of who we have on our bench - what skills, positions and also how this will work with the limited amount of interchanges. Only 8 interchanges has made a big difference to the benches over the last couple of years and was one of the reasons the Dogs for example struggled last year.

I start by saying we need 2 props on the bench
    Interchanges 1 and 2 = Prop 1 - On at 25 mins replacing starting prop and then back off for same at 60 minutes
    Interchnages 3 and 4 = Prop 2 - On at 25 mins replacing starting prop and then back off for same at 60 minutes

So that is half your interchanges gone

Reserve 3 and 4 have up to 4 interchanges to themselves but 1 must be saved for a last couple of minutes injury
    so that reduces it to 3. This means that both players can’t come on and off

Interchange 5- Saved for Injury

Interchange 6 - Bench 3 coming on
    Interchange 7- Bench 4 coming on
    Interchange 8 - Injury during match or player 3/4 coming off

This means your 4th bench player either comes on and stays on or only plays the last 5-10 minutes

Most teams in 2017 used their 4th playing sparingly unless they had an injury.

Bench 3 and 4
    Option 1 - Means your hooker/half might play 10-15 minutes max unless injury
    1 Backrower who can play outside backs in case of injury -
    1 hooker/half

Option 2 - Leaves your best backrowers on the bench and no back up for
    1 backrower/middle forward - to play lock off the bench
    1 backrower/ outside back - in case of injury

In 2017 we went with option 1 because we didnt have an 80 minute hooker. However even with this option 2 doesen’t give you much extra because they will generally play 10 mins.

What this means is when looking at the bench the key part is can your 4th bench player fill the gaps in case of injury because without injuries they don’t really matter

Options for Tigers 2018
    Prop 1- Twal
    Prop 2 - Grant
    Backrower/ Middle- Sue, Esienhuth,
    Backrower/ Outside back - Lawrence, Chee-Kam, Masters,
    Hooker/Half- McIllwrick, Marshall

Personally I see our starting backrow being Eisenhuth, ET, McQueen.

Given that I think our bench will probably want Sue as the 3rd middle/ backrower with Mcqueen able to move into the outside backs meaning Marshall is prob the best option given his versatility

However the other option is that ET starts at hooker and then Liddle comes on at 20 minutes which would mean having another backrower on the bench such as Lawrence.

So I see our full strength bench as either

Option 1
    Twal, Grant, Sue, Marshall

Option 2
    Twal, Grant, Lawrence, Liddle (with ET starting hooker)

• @:

So what I want to talk about is less the individuals on the bench but the structure of who we have on our bench - what skills, positions and also how this will work with the limited amount of interchanges. Only 8 interchanges has made a big difference to the benches over the last couple of years and was one of the reasons the Dogs for example struggled last year.

I start by saying we need 2 props on the bench
    Interchanges 1 and 2 = Prop 1 - On at 25 mins replacing starting prop and then back off for same at 60 minutes
    Interchnages 3 and 4 = Prop 2 - On at 25 mins replacing starting prop and then back off for same at 60 minutes

So that is half your interchanges gone

Reserve 3 and 4 have up to 4 interchanges to themselves but 1 must be saved for a last couple of minutes injury
    so that reduces it to 3. This means that both players can’t come on and off

Interchange 5- Saved for Injury

Interchange 6 - Bench 3 coming on
    Interchange 7- Bench 4 coming on
    Interchange 8 - Injury during match or player 3/4 coming off

This means your 4th bench player either comes on and stays on or only plays the last 5-10 minutes

Most teams in 2017 used their 4th playing sparingly unless they had an injury.

Bench 3 and 4
    Option 1 - Means your hooker/half might play 10-15 minutes max unless injury
    1 Backrower who can play outside backs in case of injury -
    1 hooker/half

Option 2 - Leaves your best backrowers on the bench and no back up for
    1 backrower/middle forward - to play lock off the bench
    1 backrower/ outside back - in case of injury

In 2017 we went with option 1 because we didnt have an 80 minute hooker. However even with this option 2 doesen’t give you much extra because they will generally play 10 mins.

What this means is when looking at the bench the key part is can your 4th bench player fill the gaps in case of injury because without injuries they don’t really matter

Options for Tigers 2018
    Prop 1- Twal
    Prop 2 - Grant
    Backrower/ Middle- Sue, Esienhuth,
    Backrower/ Outside back - Lawrence, Chee-Kam, Masters,
    Hooker/Half- McIllwrick, Marshall

Personally I see our starting backrow being Eisenhuth, ET, McQueen.

Given that I think our bench will probably want Sue as the 3rd middle/ backrower with Mcqueen able to move into the outside backs meaning Marshall is prob the best option given his versatility

However the other option is that ET starts at hooker and then Liddle comes on at 20 minutes which would mean having another backrower on the bench such as Lawrence.

So I see our full strength bench as either

Option 1
    Twal, Grant, Sue, Marshall

Option 2
    Twal, Grant, Lawrence, Liddle (with ET starting hooker)

I think you forgot Aloiai.

• My starting backrow would be Aloiai, McQueen and Eisenhuth. Twal, Grant/Felise, Taylor and Marsters on the bench.

• I’ll split it into middle players and edge players. I honestly think you need 3 middle players on the bench and hopefully one or two of the 6 middle players can play on the edge as well but only if an injury occurs. I also think we need a dummy half on the bench because I don’t think Liddle or McIlwrick can play anywhere near 80 minutes of good footy.

So I’d go with the following:-

Starting Props:- Packer & Matulino
    Reserve Props:- Twal & Sue
    Staring Lock:- Eisenhuth
    Reserve Lock:- Aloiai
    Edge Backrowers:- McQueen (left) and Taylor (right)
    Starting Hooker:- McIlwrick
    Reserve Hooker:- Liddle

That leaves Lawrence, Grant, Marsters & Benji missing out on spots in the top team at least at the start of the year.

Grant could replace Sue but I think Sue has the ability to add some impact off the bench. Aloiai coming up the middle is also a weapon. The issue is that McQueen and Taylor have to play 80 minutes but they should be able to do that on the edge. We will lack impact edge second rowers but those two should be able to defend well and hopefully add something to our attack.

Our middle should be really strong with those 6 players going hard.

I also like that make-up because it’s a bigger pack. If we play Taylor in the middle we do get great defence and ball playing but he isn’t as big a body as Eisenhuth.

There are a lot of options for us though. I think Grant is still a quality first grade player who goes hard. Marsters is a great option in the centres or the backrow and Benji could be our best half.

• starting props Matulino- Packer
    second row Mcqueen- Taylor/hooker
    lock Eisenhuth
    hooker Mcillwrick
    bench: Twal, Sue, Grant, Aloiai

• @:

starting props Matulino- Packer
    second row Mcqueen- Taylor/hooker
    lock Eisenhuth
    hooker Mcillwrick
    bench: Twal, Sue, Grant, Aloiai

thats a big bench :slight_smile: 😃

• Taylor is a certain starter in the back row imo. He’ll most likely be captain. The big question will be if Rowdy can force his way onto the bench.

I think the back row will be

11. McQueen
    12. ET
    13. Hooth

Twal is a certainty as is Aloiai. Liddle seems likely too. Which leaves Sue and Lawrence fighting it out for the other bench spot. I don’t think Grant will feature much at all. Wouldn’t’ surprise me if he leaves mid season. And Felise seems to have fallen off the face of the earth.

So I’d say

14. Liddle
    15. Aloiai
    16. Twal
    17. Sue/Lawrence

• 14. Marsters
    15. Twal
    16. Sue
    17. Aloiai

• My take:

8 Matulino
    9 Liddle
    10 Packer
    11 McQueen
    12 Taylor
    13 Eisenhuth

14 Twal
    15 Sue
    16 Aloiai
    17 Marsters/Falise

:sign:

• ForumSupporter

Poor Rowdy…. 😦

• @:

Poor Rowdy…. 😦

I dont care who gets selected each week as long as it is based on form.Hopefully this is what will happen each and every week, if Lawrences form is good enough he should get picked but no favouritism for any player.I have faith in Ivan to get it right when so many before him have failed

• I think it’s Lawrence or McQueen who makes the team. I can’t see how you can have both of them. What about poor Marsters or Benji or Grant.

I wouldn’t be surprised if Lawrence does make the team but I couldn’t pick him at the start based on who is available.

• @:

Poor Rowdy…. 😦

No offence to Rowdy who is a club legend, but in the 2nd row I have him behind McQueen, Taylor, Aloiai, perhaps even Marsters.

That said, injuries are almost inevitable. Aloiai could spend some time in the middle, or Taylor at hooker. I suspect Lawry will be a better player if he makes 10 appearances in first grade rather than 20. He seems to get worn down over the course of a season.

• @:

What about poor Marsters or Benji or Grant.

“Wests Tigers are sad to lose Tim Grant, but could not stand in the way of the 2 year offer from Penrith.”

• @:

My take:

8 Matulino
    9 Liddle
    10 Packer
    11 McQueen
    12 Taylor
    13 Eisenhuth

14 Twal
    15 Sue
    16 Aloiai
    17 Marsters/Falise

:sign:

I agree with the starting pack (as likely) but I am 99% sure Benji will be on the bench Rd 1. He and ET and Reynolds can cover hooker if Liddle needs downtime and Benji can be brought on for clutch moments or if the halves are off the boil.

I like Marsters a lot but I think he’s the one that makes way for Benji.

It’s a weird but good position to be in, not being able to find space for decent footballers like Lawrence, Marsters, MCK. A lot of people would be happy about guys like MCK and Lawrence playing reserves, but also I don’t think young fringe players become much better toiling around in reggies. E.g. Felise, I can’t see him making it without more first grade time.

Lolo, Nofo, Milne, Suli, Fonua, Reynolds, Brooks, Mats, Liddle, Packer, McQ, ET, Hooth, Twal, Sue, Aloiai, Benji

No space for MWZ, Kev, Marsters, Lawrence, MCK, Rochow, McIlwrick. I think Marsters did just fine last year and has a lot of talent, but I don’t feel he has the same potential as Suli, with whom he is directly competing.

Recent Topics