BENJI IMPRESSES TIGERS

@:

@:

@:

I see Reynolds as more Center then 5/8 because his biggest weakness is his throwing ball playing game. He is tough as nails, a leader, small and runs through gaps but isn’t passing the ball enough and because he is small he needs to pass higher to get the ball received.

Ahhh, that’s why players like Sterlo & Alf & Ricky were terrible ballplayers. Too small.

Cronk and Thurston are shorter - must be among the worst in the comp then. Anyway, Reynolds is actually a good sized half regardless, I always thought…

My mistake, I always thought Reynolds was a short person like Chris Sandow (where the height mismatch between him and Sutton was an issue at Souths.).
Ok Reynolds is 1.83 and our tallest half. Marshall is 1.82 and Brooks is 1.79 so they should be passing at around the same height. Daane Milne is at 183 and Esan Marsters is at 187. Tui being shorter then the rest at 1.77.
Hoping this means they can all pass the ball easily to each other.

Maybe they should set up the Rex Mossop pass the ball comp at training…practice hitting the 3’s n 5’s for the taller guys…the 7’s n 10’s for the normal heights and below that for the short asses…

@:

@:

@:

@:

I see Reynolds as more Center then 5/8 because his biggest weakness is his throwing ball playing game. He is tough as nails, a leader, small and runs through gaps but isn’t passing the ball enough and because he is small he needs to pass higher to get the ball received.

Ahhh, that’s why players like Sterlo & Alf & Ricky were terrible ballplayers. Too small.

Cronk and Thurston are shorter - must be among the worst in the comp then. Anyway, Reynolds is actually a good sized half regardless, I always thought…

My mistake, I always thought Reynolds was a short person like Chris Sandow (where the height mismatch between him and Sutton was an issue at Souths.).
Ok Reynolds is 1.83 and our tallest half. Marshall is 1.82 and Brooks is 1.79 so they should be passing at around the same height. Daane Milne is at 183 and Esan Marsters is at 187. Tui being shorter then the rest at 1.77.

This is just weird analogy Col. IMO height has zero effect on passing unless its under 8’s. All in the wrist brother.

@:

@:

@:

@:

This is one of the weirdest posts I have ever read. I have never heard anyone ever make the point that players of different height have difficulty passing to each other.

@:

@:

@:

@:

This is just weird analogy Col. IMO height has zero effect on passing unless its under 8’s. All in the wrist brother.

I agree

Tyson Gamble is 189cm. Why did we sign him? If he is going to have a future at the club, we need to get some taller outside backs.

@:

@:

@:

@:

Yep , too right KS

Having strong wrists and soft hands is the key , much like a spin bowler

My take is Benji is very serious about his return and doesn’t want to be known for what happened before. I suspect he is a man on a mission and wouldn’t surprise me if he is named round 1 in the squad.

Reynolds will be a great buy, he won’t stiffle the attack but allow Brooks/Benji to expand. He doesn’t need to do long balls he needs to find his hole runners on the edge or inside. With potential of Tui, Aloia & Mahe outside him gaps will open.

Benji has to understand why he is here….I’m concerned he hasn’t got it.

Benji is not here to take someone’s starting spot, sorry Benj #6 or #7 are slatted for someone else…Benji is here to mentor first and foremost, secondly here is here for backup, this is it for Benji, so why would the club invest in a starting spot for him over Reynolds and Brooks( who must have a breakout year)…sorry Benj don’t kidyourself or the fans and your teammates understand why you are here

Sorry tigerap but I’m sure most WT’s fans want Benji to be busting his gut to be in the starting 13- if he happens to be showing more form or committment than either Brooks or Reynolds then that is no fault of his.
We don’t need him to be sitting back thinking “I’m just here for the paycheck and to bludge” ala Bwaith in his time at our club. Benji’s greatest indication of mentoring will be by training and working his hardest to set an example of leadership and effort for Brooks and Reynolds to aspire to and admire.
Rip in Benj.

Benji Marshall at Wests SG Ball and HM training passing on his expertise to the next gen halves…Well done Benji…

I think Benji is here because his still got that drive to play at the highest level and all that comes with it. Pushing his body physically and mentally trying to compete for a position and be in a ready state incase he needs to slot in. He wants to finish his playing career at the tigers and still has that drive but proably also has one eye on the future.
His mentoring role this year whilst still playing will be the perfect Segway for what’s to come. I wouldn’t be surprised to see Benji part of the Balmain or West’s juniors or West Tigers coaching staff next year.

@:

Tyson Gamble is 189cm. Why did we sign him? If he is going to have a future at the club, we need to get some taller outside backs.

We really need our recruitment to look at player height more seriously and try to get our entire club all the same height.
Maybe we can hook up a sponsorship with Stanley, Lufkin or Trojan.

It’s pretty obvious our major problem is we are vertically challenged and need uniformity across the board.
Even people with “big hair” (that means you Kev) need to be forced to have a clip as it gives the illusion of height which no doubt throws off the passers ability to calculate how high they need to pass the ball when delivering it to the “big haired” ones.

Someone needs to be given the task of calculating the average height of the entire roster, then letting all the short and tall players negotiate with other clubs.
This team won’t be a force until it is height corrected!!!
We can’t expect them to be able to pass a ball to each other if their heads aren’t all the same distance from the ground now can we?

@:

@:

We really need our recruitment to look at player height more seriously and try to get our entire club all the same height.

It’s pretty obvious our major problem is we are vertically challenged and need uniformity across the board.
Even people with “big hair” (that means you Kev) need to be forced to have a clip as it gives the illusion of height which no doubt throws off the passers ability to calculate how high they need to pass the ball when delivering it to the “big haired” ones.

Someone needs to be given the task of calculating the average height of the entire roster, then letting all the short and tall players negotiate with other clubs.
We can’t expect them to be able to pass a ball to each other if their heads aren’t all the same distance from the ground now can we?

Wouldn’t think the team will reach any great heights, if this is not looked at immediately!!! 😆

@:

@:

@:

Wouldn’t think the team will reach any great heights, if this is not looked at immediately!!! 😆

Fair dinkum,I have never read so much crap in all my life….It doesnt matter how tall you are if you learn to pass the ball to your team mate irrespective of his hieght and it hits him on the chest …then the pass has been delivered correctly…
Greg Haywick…played 5/8 for Aust in 1956…he coached me for 2 years and thats how we were taught to pass the ball…put it on the chest…
go on all start calling me a dinasaur or whatever…its basic fundamentals of playing the game,exactly the same as we were coached to pass back behind not flat or forward…

Recent Topics

Support our community by clicking here and joining our Forum Support Scheme

Can’t log in or access your account?
Send an email to contact@weststigersforum.com and we’ll get you back online.