Lolohea

• Feel free to merge this into another thread.
    But interestingly enough on the fullback discussion online today quoted in the fox sports summer slog article is the first time I’ve heard Tui talk about being in position to be 1st choice fullback and being excited about it.
    I know it was a given, but it’s nice to hear from the horses mouth.
    Extract below:

TIGERS

Tuimoala Lolohea says he’ll be out to make the No.1 jersey his own at the Wests Tigers this year following the departure of James Tedesco.

Lolohea has played all over the backline since his NRL debut with the Warriors back in 2014, but it’s shaping up to be a more settled season for the 23-year-old.

He’ll also get to test himself against Tedesco when the Tigers meet the Roosters in round one.

“I’m excited to play fullback throughout the whole year to see what I’m capable of doing,” Lolohea told Fox Sports.

“It’s going to be good to come up against Teddy who was my teammate last year.

“He’s one of a kind. The things he can do on the footy field can open a game right up.

“Not many fullbacks can do what he does — he’s got speed and strength.

“The things I’ve seen him do, sometimes I just had to stand and watch and buzz out on what he was doing.”

• I hope Tui cuts him in half & goes on to win Dally M FB of the year.

• ForumSupporter

buzz out…lol…

Head in the game please…

• Least we know Tui never has to turn to drugs. Just have him watch a Tedesco highlight video.

• @:

buzz out…lol…

Head in the game please…

Bees ….you know …Honey …Buzz Buzz…Miss Helena…be a Do Bee not a Don’t Bee

I think you need to get your head in the game …FOCUS , get with the programme Mr Bus Conductor

• We tried to recruit Moylan and RTS.
    I hope Ivan keeps Tui Focused in spite of this.

• I am hoping Hodgo and Ivan steer him in the right direction, he has his chance now, hope he takes it, seems like a good young bloke.

• @:

I am hoping Hodgo and Ivan steer him in the right direction, he has his chance now, hope he takes it, seems like a good young bloke.

I want him to be successful because he seems like a good guy plus he has that x-factor about him.

• Only 100% physical fitness will get him to be where he wants to as a quality first grade fullback.

He needs to be the fittest guy at the club.

I really enjoyed his performances last year. However the extra baggage needs to go if he wants to make the most of his ability.

He could be well on the way to that and then I’m excited about his ability. Because he is a natural footballer.

• Im looking forward to what he offers - I think the speculation is also there because we don’t have many other viable competitive candidates for Fullback at this point.

EVERY OTHER POSITION in the team has large amounts of competition which is something unheard of in our ranks since we made the finals in 2011 - with the major exception being fullback.

At the very least Ivan will be able to mould this speculation into something Tui can use to keep him on his toes.

Even Nofoaluma and Elijah Taylor must been looking over their shoulders at the moment, and they were practically walk-ins to the team for every game last year.

As a fan it’s exciting stuff.

• @:

Only 100% physical fitness will get him to be where he wants to as a quality first grade fullback.

He needs to be the fittest guy at the club.

I really enjoyed his performances last year. However the extra baggage needs to go if he wants to make the most of his ability.

He could be well on the way to that and then I’m excited about his ability. Because he is a natural footballer.

Eddie - I think you are really on the wrong track here. He is very fit.

He has just finished a full season - half of that was in the NRL, then he went and played through the World Cup. Following that he returned to preseason training. How much training do you want him to do? how many games do you want him to play? before you think he maybe fit.

He is a big boy, and not your typical shape for a full back (he is more like a Graham Eadie or Ken Thornett type - they seemed to get by ok) but that doesn’t mean he is not fit, fast and ready to go.

There is no extra baggage - just the normal kit bag that all players have.

• Lolohea finally ready to make No.1 his own

Tuimoala Lolohea will be hoping his 23rd positional switch in just five years of NRL football will be his last for at least this season.

A talented youngster, Lolohea hasn’t been able to make a jersey his own for a full season since he was the Junior Warriors’ first-choice five-eighth on their run to the 2013 under-20s grand final.

But five years later - and after stints in every jersey from No.1 to No.7 along with time on the bench - he is finally ready to make the fullback position his own at Wests Tigers.

After arriving at the club as a replacement for five-eighth Mitchell Moses midway through last season, Lolohea will make the switch to the No.1 jersey in place of James Tedesco in 2018.

And it’s there that after 65 NRL matches he finally hopes to make himself at home under coach Ivan Cleary.

“I’m hopefully playing in a position where I get to make it my own,” he said.

"I’m pretty excited.

"I had some good honest conversations with Ivan and he said the opportunity is there for me, it’s just a matter of whether I want to go at it with two hands or not.

“That’s my goal and I’m trying to do the best I can to add to the team and have a better year this year.”

Lolohea, a member of Tonga’s World Cup squad, played fullback on and off as a youngster but has never spent more than seven consecutive weeks there in the NRL.

He returned to pre-season training early before Christmas following Tonga’s World Cup run in a bid to prepare himself for a full year in the No.1 jersey.

He has also worked closely with former NSW fullback Brett Hodgson in the past month, after the Tigers premiership winner joined Cleary’s staff as an assistant coach for the next two seasons.

“Since I’ve been back I’ve just stuck into that position,” Lolohea said.

"I’ve learned a lot in the month I’ve been back. Getting my body right and getting it right on the field.

"I’ve still got a lot more to learn. I’ve got a lot support from the coaches, especially Hodgo who has come on board with us.

“That was his key position and he is trying to give me as much knowledge to build my game which is a positive for me.”

LOLOHEA’S LONG NRL ROAD TO THE WESTS TIGERS’ NO.1 JERSEY

• 2014 - Bench (two games), wing (one game).

• 2015 - Fullback (one game), centre (two games), fullback (seven games), centre (one game), fullback (two games), wing (three games), centre (one game), halfback (five games), fullback (one game).

• 2016 - Wing (six games), five-eighth (one game), fullback (six games), bench (one game), wing (one game), bench (two games), fullback (three games), wing (one game), fullback (one game).

• 2017 - Wing (two games), fullback (one game), five-eighth (one game at Warriors), five-eighth (13 games at Wests Tigers).

• ForumSupporter

Hmmmm Russ…Not really an established NRL Fullback never spending more than 7 consecutive weeks there in his 65 NRL games…

Does show how he was stuffed around by the Warriors…

Hopefully Ivan does give him that stability…

• Wow, so his 13 games at 5/8th at the Tigers has been his only decent stretch EVER in one position?? In his entire Career??

I keep liking this guy more and more - so resilient - Let’s unleash the beast in this guy,

• @:

Hmmmm Russ…Not really an established NRL Fullback never spending more than 7 consecutive weeks there in his 65 NRL games…

Does show how he was stuffed around by the Warriors…

Hopefully Ivan does give him that stability…

Oh! he has been stuffed around - especially by Kearney.

I have been sticking up for him Geo because of all the negativity about him by some people.

He has no experience, he is unfit, he is carrying too much weight, play him here or there if we get Moylan - if we get RTS.

He may not make the best NRL Full back top ten of all time but he at least deserves all Tiger supporters to get behind him in 2018. It is his position for this year if he is good enough.

I think he is, I have seen him play a few games of full back and was impressed and I think with Hodgo and Cleary to lean on he will be a real good fit for us.

Recent Topics