Sheens wary of rushing back injured Lui

From nrl website

Injured Wests Tigers halfback Robert Lui will need to complete a full week of training before coach Tim Sheens considers him for next Sunday’s NRL clash with the Sydney Roosters.

The 20-year-old rising star suffered ankle ligament damage in round two, three weeks before Tim Moltzen’s season was ended by a knee injury when the classy fullback was moved to No.7 as Lui’s replacement.

“He’s tipped for next week but with the bye the week after I’m not sure whether he’ll be ready,” Sheens said of Lui.

“He’s got to have a full week’s training, so if he runs a full week he’ll be considered, but he’s missed a bit of footy too so we’ll wait and see what happens.”

Lui’s return would be a welcome sight for Sheens, whose injury-hit side made it back-to-back losses in Saturday’s 26-18 defeat at the hands of Penrith.

The Tigers are now in danger of blowing a promising start to the season, slumping to four from seven ahead of the Campbelltown Stadium clash with the Roosters, who put 44 points past them in round two.

Youngster Blake Lazarus has worn the No.7 jersey for the past two weeks, although he spent much of the CUA Stadium clash at fullback with Daniel Fitzhenry moving into the halves.

“It was a bit of a hole losing Tim Moltzen and it’s been tough on young Blake too when his forwards don’t lay a platform,” Sheens said.

"If you don’t lay a platform and you turn the ball over and all you’re doing is defending, it’s pretty hard for the kid.

“That happened last week and happened particularly in the second half (against Penrith).”

The Tigers completed just nine of 18 sets in the second 40 minutes against the high-flying Panthers and captain Robbie Farah said his side were putting two much pressure on themselves with plays like Benji Marshall’s flick pass gone wrong to Lote Tuqiri on their own 20m line.

“We’re making simple mistakes that you expect from a park football team, silly offloads, not getting up to play the ball properly, forcing the pass,” Farah said.

"At the moment we’re rolling the sleeves up and working hard in D (defence) but in attack I think we’re looking for the easy option instead of getting in the grind and playing five tackle, kick-chase, waiting for them to make the mistake.

"You’re not going to win footy games when you do that, especially in an away game.

“Not only mistakes but discipline as well, too many penalties piggy-backing them down into our end.”

Given the last 2 weeks performances I’m amazed by those statements. I’d be rushing him back on one leg. He’s go the bye the week after to relax/get 100% fit

Geez the way Sheens talks you would swear Blake had played half back

I actually got a little excited when I got to the ground last night and saw Lui running around on the warmup field behind the main grandstand. He seemed to be running quite freely and I thought he may be a late inclusion to the team. It appears however that he may have been just completing some rehab work.

Sheens is right in that the forwards haven’t done the job the last 2 weeks, but really, how about some accountability on playing Lazarus out of position, playing Ryan where he is proven to be less effective and playing Fitzy in the halves…That move didn’t work 6-7 years ago and it certainly isn’t going to work now. Play the players in their rightful position and we’ll see a much more cohesive unit in attack.

One day coaches might come out and say, fellas I made a wrong choice. or realise this during a game, and put re-arrange the team to back how it was and working.

@willow:

Sheens is right in that the forwards haven’t done the job the last 2 weeks, but really, how about some accountability on playing Lazarus out of position, playing Ryan where he is proven to be less effective and playing Fitzy in the halves…That move didn’t work 6-7 years ago and it certainly isn’t going to work now. Play the players in their rightful position and we’ll see a much more cohesive unit in attack.

Could it be the forwards have not fired the last 2 weeks because the players dont believe the coaches team selections are right?

The Roosters will have a new half as Pearce is out for 4 weeks, so we may as well rush Lui or AJ in,they can’t be worse than Fitzy,hell Payten is a better half.

i agree, but it might be better to chance our hand at some other combo then rushing lui in when hes not ready (especially with the bye next week) if we put him in and he does another 8 weeks of damage its goodbye season. Lazarus cannot carry us to the top 8 this year… he’s just to young and inexperienced.

Lui/Taumata must be our salvatioN!

@smeghead:

Geez the way Sheens talks you would swear Blake had played half back

Well he did have a number 7 on his back!! 😕

Not 100% sure why everyone wants to rush Lui back. A lot called for his head previously as he wasn’t putting his stamp on the game. I guess a couple of losses sends fans into this sort of frenzy where rational thinking goes out the back door.

In Moltzen’s absence whoever partners Marshall in the halves is going to experience the same thing. Farah and Marshall are to dominating to allow another player to take the reins and steer the side around the park. Reality is if the team doesn’t control the ball or gets its fair share of possession the team will struggle. This is also further influenced if the forwards are dominated around the rucks and don’t provide any sort of platform for the team.

It’s easy for us fans to lay the blame (every team needs a scapegoat it seems) on players thrown in with the responsibility of controlling a game but it really falls back on the big two in Farah and Marshall. If they don’t perform neither does the team. The other half named is merely making up the numbers under the current team structure and game plan.

Robbie Farah cannot control the attack when he has the highest tackling rate in the team. Benji Marshall does not need to create a miracle every time he gets the ball.
The forwards need to muscle up in defense (especially early on), and take some big metres in attack. Spend some time working on field position. Thats what laying the platform is, and it ain’t happening.
And someone with a bit of speed needs to follow Fifita (sorry, an aside).

@tigergirlz:

Robbie Farah cannot control the attack when he has the highest tackling rate in the team. Benji Marshall does not need to create a miracle every time he gets the ball.
The forwards need to muscle up in defense (especially early on), and take some big metres in attack. Spend some time working on field position. Thats what laying the platform is, and it ain’t happening.
And someone with a bit of speed needs to follow Fifita (sorry, an aside).

i think thats what we miss from moltzen at fullback, im a bigger fan of beau at fullback however hopefully in teh weeks to come if shinysheens decideds to leave beau there he’ll get up in attack some more.

fifita is awesome, but another meathead like gibbs. seems he gives away a penalty laying on the player every game… just wants to beat them up.

To be completely honest, what is all this fuss about playing Lazarus out of position? A little over 12 months ago a large portion of the forum was calling for Lazarus to be picked at fullback (myself included). As much as I hate to admit it (as I am a Lazarus fan) he has been nothing short of ordinary the last two weeks. I don’t care what position you play, but fluffed kicks and lost balls can’t be tolerated if you want to play regular first grade.

I won’t be kicking and screaming if he gets another run this week (as a matter of fact, I think he should get one more go) but if he does not produce something better this week I am afraid he may end up state cup for a long time.

Where would you play Lazarus?

Recent Topics

Support our community by clicking here and joining our Forum Support Scheme