The good, the decent and the bad

An extended 3, 2, 1 for the trial with some thoughts from tonight.

The Good:
Robbie Rochow: Big minutes. Good defence. High Workrate.
Corey Thompson: Really nice step. Decent speed. Some really good runs. Scored a try.
Josh Aloiai: Destructive. Long minutes.

The Decent:
Kevin Naiqama: Very solid. No mistakes. Stayed solid all throughout the game.
Pita Godinet: Scored a try. Nice dummy half runs.
Michael Chee-Kam: Very solid. Some nice runs. Long minutes.
Josh Reynolds: Some nice touches. High Workrate. Created some good stuff. Nice kicking game.

The Bad:
Ben Matunlino: A couple of errors. Not much impact on the defence. Slow play-the-balls.
Luke Brooks: Not controlling the game. Some poor kicks.
Mahe Fonua: Runs not incredibly effective. Missed tackles.

Tim Grant was good as well

3. Thompson
2. Aloiai
1. Lawrence

Grant was good also and Marsters in patches…that right side D with Reynolds rushing up and Esan and Nofoaluma doing there own thing is still a massive worry…get on the same page at least lads…

I’m just very concerned when a Rochow type player looks ‘Good’.

He’s a toiler and for him to stand out means there’s very little quality happening around him.

Thompson may have made it very difficult to leave him out next week.
Could we see Lolo to 6 and Thompson keeping the full back spot

I really disagree with alot of other peoples views it seems.

I thought Big ben and packer did well in their first hit out. Along with Aloai they bent the line regularly and rarely let a shark push them over the advantage line.

Marsters and nofo struggled defensively. Thompson was great however with limited creativity in the halves i feel lolo needs to be there.

MWZ is good but dont seem him having a huge impact personally i would like Thompson on that wing with lol at the back.

I dont think you can have a backrow with rochow, rowdy and ET. And while Rochow has played well i think we will struggle if all three are in the team.

While i will never knock someone that throws on the Tigers jersey and tries hard i struggle to appreciate Grant. Yes he runs hard but he has poor lateral movment and always makes some really poor choices.

I have never been a fan of Kev but he has been really solid in both trials and for fiji.

But my biggest concern is definitely hooker. Killa struggles with passing consistently and i have liked what i have seen from pita but neither excite me. I hope our young fella is back soon.

Overall i thought we played well in the second half and personally i think both the sharks and roosters will be the top teams this year.

Oh and brooks cant kick in general play way to flat thats a simple truth. however his touch finder is greatly improved and he looks dangerous when he runs.

A couple of players stood out, namely Aloiai, Thompson and Rochow. Godinet has to start at 9 for round 1, his service and spark out of dummyhalf was noticeably better than McIlwrick and Reynolds…

Matulino had a couple of decent runs and tackles but he and Packer clearly needed the run. Eisenhuth was busy prior to his head knock and Chee-Kam was good when he came on, had some good runs. Our backline attack was non-existent though, Brooks and Reynolds really didn’t offer Naiqama/Marsters any decent ball and Nofo and MWZ only got the ball when returning kicks or doing the dirty yards at our own end.

We desperately need more structure and depth in attack, but we definitely lack speed compared to recent years.

@:

Forget LoLo for after watching him play in the ISP he is way of the pace.

@:

@:

Forget LoLo for after watching him play in the ISP he is way of the pace.

That’s disappointing to hear to say the least.

Many have tried and failed to bring the best out in him and there’s a lot of hopes on Ivan somehow finding a way with him.

While he was no world beater last season, I thought he would improve at least to some degree with a full off season hehind him, does he have much weight on.?

@:

I really disagree with alot of other peoples views it seems.

I thought Big ben and packer did well in their first hit out. Along with Aloai they bent the line regularly and rarely let a shark push them over the advantage line.

Marsters and nofo struggled defensively. Thompson was great however with limited creativity in the halves i feel lolo needs to be there.

MWZ is good but dont seem him having a huge impact personally i would like Thompson on that wing with lol at the back.

I dont think you can have a backrow with rochow, rowdy and ET. And while Rochow has played well i think we will struggle if all three are in the team.

While i will never knock someone that throws on the Tigers jersey and tries hard i struggle to appreciate Grant. Yes he runs hard but he has poor lateral movment and always makes some really poor choices.

I have never been a fan of Kev but he has been really solid in both trials and for fiji.

But my biggest concern is definitely hooker. Killa struggles with passing consistently and i have liked what i have seen from pita but neither excite me. I hope our young fella is back soon.

Overall i thought we played well in the second half and personally i think both the sharks and roosters will be the top teams this year.

Good summary Hodgo, agree with just about everything you said.

@:

Yes
That’s how I see it

If the best players we have are the best players we had last year minus Woods and Tedesco it is going to be a very long year.

Genuine question: does anyone expect anything better than mediocrity from Reynolds? Please show working.

@:

A couple of players stood out, namely Aloiai, Thompson and Rochow. Godinet has to start at 9 for round 1, his service and spark out of dummyhalf was noticeably better than McIlwrick and Reynolds…

Matulino had a couple of decent runs and tackles but he and Packer clearly needed the run. Eisenhuth was busy prior to his head knock and Chee-Kam was good when he came on, had some good runs. Our backline attack was non-existent though, Brooks and Reynolds really didn’t offer Naiqama/Marsters any decent ball and Nofo and MWZ only got the ball when returning kicks or doing the dirty yards at our own end.

We desperately need more structure and depth in attack, but we definitely lack speed compared to recent years.

X2

Recent Topics

Support our community by clicking here and joining our Forum Support Scheme

Can’t log in or access your account?
Send an email to contact@weststigersforum.com and we’ll get you back online.