Defence can win it for us

• We cant match the Rorters for strike power but we can, if we pull our fingers out, get them with good defence. Have a couple of forwards get Tedesco every time the takes the ball up- make him hurt after 40 minutes- nothing illegal, just good tackles. Same with Cronk, shut him down with a good close marker in his face all the time. And lets just pray our backs can catch the high ball that will come our way. Reynolds to keep the team gee’ed up and its not impossible guys.

• ForumSupporter

The day that Wests Tigers win games with their defence is the day I’ll be the happiest supporter on Earth….

And not once every 6-8 weeks either…every week…

• we can do what Leicester did a couple of years a go

• Manly used to attack with their defence…blokes like Watmough, Matai, Lyon…inspiring stuff and lifts your team mates and the crowd

• Agree with Geo’s post. Would be very happy and proud if we start winning games regularly with our defence.

• @:

Manly used to attack with their defence…blokes like Watmough, Matai, Lyon…inspiring stuff and lifts your team mates and the crowd

Yep, lets get in their faces and stay in their faces all match. Dont give them on inch to move.

• @:

We cant match the Rorters for strike power but we can, if we pull our fingers out, get them with good defence. Have a couple of forwards get Tedesco every time the takes the ball up- make him hurt after 40 minutes- nothing illegal, just good tackles. Same with Cronk, shut him down with a good close marker in his face all the time. And lets just pray our backs can catch the high ball that will come our way. Reynolds to keep the team gee’ed up and its not impossible guys.

Being an old magpie …… my mind takes me back to on 18 March 1978 … when aspects of the bitter Fibro-Silvertail rivalry actually began in Melbourne and was the genesis of the Fibro-Silvertail war, a divide which persists in loyal Magpie pockets on the northern beaches, a clash which created huge TV audiences, big crowds, a multitude of cut eyes and bloodied noses, but no broken jaws or serious long term injuries.

That pre-season match at the Junction Oval, St Kilda, Melbourne; was won by Manly sirvertails in those days with a feared pack of forwards BUT it was the Wests team who had a Pyrrhic victory with 5 Sea Eagles taken to hospital by ambulance. IIt was the first time in a couple of decades that Wests Magpies forwards stood up to the NRL bullies and their unfasonable forwards created a culture of blood and guts which they implemented perfectly for number of years until the silver tail money plundered their ranks and sent them back to mediocrity.

Times have changed however a sincerely hope that this WT forwards follow this example set in the seventies and do the samethis year … and make start with this puffed up roosters side … in round one.

• As much as I want to win round 1, and do believe we can, if we don’t I’d love to see serious progress in this part of our game.

• I believe this is Cleary’s plan for this year anyway. It makes sense with our roster.

• God yeah, lets invoke the spirits of old- Dallas Donnelly, Tom Raudonikis, Wayne Pearce, Steve Roach, Gareth Ellis (not so old) and never give an inch and never drop our heads. At em……

Edit- I’ll have to go and watch ‘the fibro’s and silvertails’ tonight for old time sake…

• @:

We cant match the Rorters for strike power but we can, if we pull our fingers out, get them with good defence. Have a couple of forwards get Tedesco every time the takes the ball up- make him hurt after 40 minutes- nothing illegal, just good tackles. Same with Cronk, shut him down with a good close marker in his face all the time. And lets just pray our backs can catch the high ball that will come our way. Reynolds to keep the team gee’ed up and its not impossible guys.

And then you woke up…… 😆

• @:

[And then you woke up…… 😆

Might as well be optimistic at this stage of events.

• @:

The day that Wests Tigers win games with their defence is the day I’ll be the happiest supporter on Earth….

And not once every 6-8 weeks either…every week…

Be nice to be the ugliest club in the NRL

A bunch of scrappers , fighters , doing everything in their power to out play their opposition number and make the 1%'s count

Been about 40 years now ,come on down Roy Masters

• I think our defence will improve. Unfortunately I see our attack beimg like the Bulldogs last year and the Dragons the year before. Uninspiring, predictable and not executed properly attack patterns. I hope Brooks and Reynolds prove me wrong but not holding my breath.

• @:

I think our defence will improve. Unfortunately I see our attack beimg like the Bulldogs last year and the Dragons the year before. Uninspiring, predictable and not executed properly attack patterns. I hope Brooks and Reynolds prove me wrong but not holding my breath.

That’s the way I see it too. The better teams don’t just win off defense, teams like Melbourne are clinical in everything they do.

Recent Topics