Pearce Ruled out for a month

NJURY has been added to insult with the Sydney Roosters having star halfback Mitchell Pearce ruled out for four weeks with a shoulder injury in the wake of their Anzac Day loss.

Pearce was hurt in the first half of the 28-6 NRL loss to St George Illawarra but played on unknowingly with a bone fracture.

The injury is also a blow to NSW’s State of Origin hopes, with Pearce a frontline contender for the No.7 jumper for the opening game of the series in Sydney on May 26.

Roosters coach Brian Smith is likely to move Todd Carney from fullback to halfback, with Carney now also emerging as a Blues possibility.

Bulldogs veteran Brett Kimmorley is the incumbent NSW halfback and will also come into strong reckoning.

I guess this is some good news for us and might mean we stand a greater chance now but still going to be a really tough match

I dunno Carney at 7 is just as scary

Well what it will do is make their attack that little bit more predictable. It’ll come from Carney and Anasta. Mini will probably shift to fullback and i imagine Jones will come into the backline. It was physical, intense game yesterday. I’m expecting them to at least start a little flat on sunday.

thats how they started against us in round 2.

I think carney at half is better than wat was before for us because the combo he had with pearce has crazy good so quickly but combo with brunton, anasta and minichiello obviously not as good if they go that way or bring jones into half

This is a gotta be a confidence boost for us. Pearce is the core of that team and was the catalyst for their win against us in round 3.

Although I’m sure Carney could competently cover either 5/8 or half back if required to.

Ben Jones will be moved to half I believe as Smith generally does a straight player swap whenever possible

If Sheens picks a decent team their is no reason we wont beat them and beat them well now

Good for us. I think with or without Pearce we SHOULD win.

yes its good for wests-tigers that Pearce is not playing.
having him out is not going to automatically ensure a win.
still have to hold the ball, complete sets of six, and apply pressure to the opposition.
not give away dumb penalties and not push the stupid pass when its not on.

@smeghead:

Ben Jones will be moved to half I believe as Smith generally does a straight player swap whenever possible

Wish our coach did that not change 5 positions to still not fill one!

The way Easts faded yesterday and with this injury,I would be dissapinted if we didn"t win.

Lets face it,our defence is good now and we only need to hold the ball and improve our kicking game something that Lui can bring if he plays.

In the second half Penrith looked tired and we kept giving them the ball-thats all that saved them.

They don’t lose too much with Pearce out. Carney can slot right into halfback, and Minichiello or Perrett will slot into fullback.

Pearce is the player who moves the rorters around the park - anasta and carney are similar players and both have been playing more of a second phase role - could take them a couple of weeks to adjust with carney at half - well i hope so anyway

What a twist of fate…
Carney has a history of destroying the WT from the halves, and now is likely to line up this weekend against the Tigers from there!!
Plenty of field goal practice this week boys!!

Yep, it will be
1. Mini
6. Braith
7. Carnage

Im more scarred actually

Recent Topics

Support our community by clicking here and joining our Forum Support Scheme