History on the side of new-look Wests Tigers

• History on the side of new-look Wests Tigers
    Author Dan Talintyre Timestamp Wed 7 Mar 2018, 12:19 PM

When Wests Tigers take to the field at ANZ Stadium around 4:30pm on Saturday, it’ll be an almost unrecognisable side from the one that finished the 2017 season.

From the 17 players that faced the Warriors in Round 26 last year, only seven players will line up against the Sydney Roosters on Saturday and only five will be in the same position as they were last year.

Esan Marsters, Kevin Naiqama, Malakai Watene-Zelezniak, Luke Brooks, Tui Lolohea, Matt Eisenhuth and Alex Twal are the familiar faces for Wests Tigers, who will instead have six club debutants run out — Russell Packer, Ben Matulino, Corey Thompson, Josh Reynolds, Robbie Rochow and Pita Godinet.

As a club, there’s no hiding the poor record that Wests Tigers have against the boys from Bondi, with the Roosters prevailing in every counter between the two sides since the 2012 season.

However, the history suggests that a new-look side might prove the difference for Wests Tigers.

Only once before have Wests Tigers had more club debutants in a single game than Saturday’s — the season-opener in 2004 that saw Tim Sheens’ side take on the Cronulla Sharks at ANZ Stadium.

On that day, incredibly seven new faces took to the field in Wests Tigers colours for the first time, with Brett Hodgson, Scott Prince, Shane Elford, Scott Sattler, Ben Reynolds, Nick Graham and Jason Moodie all helping steer the home side to a hard-fought 12-6 victory.

And while one game might not be much of a sample size, when we look a little closer, the record is equally as strong for Wests Tigers when four or more new faces feature in the side at the same time.

In 2002, five new players debuted for Wests Tigers in Round 1 against the Bulldogs — Ahmad Bajouri, Robert Mears, Chris Paterson, Steve Trindall and Troy Wozniak — as Wests Tigers won 28-22.

In 2006, there were four new faces from the Grand Final winning side the year before — Keith Galloway, Jamahl Lolesi, Ryan O’Hara and Michael Crockett helping Wests Tigers to a thrilling 24-15 win over the St. George-Illawarra Dragons in the season opener.

Four new players also debuted in Round 1 of the 2012 season: James Tedesco, Matt Bell, Tom Humble and Adam Blair all making their first appearance as Wests Tigers snuck home against the Cronulla Sharks.

It might not be much, but there’s something to be said for the way in which a new-look side can come together almost instantly throughout Wests Tigers history — will we see it again this Saturday?

• @:

History on the side of new-look Wests Tigers
    Author Dan Talintyre Timestamp Wed 7 Mar 2018, 12:19 PM

When Wests Tigers take to the field at ANZ Stadium around 4:30pm on Saturday, it’ll be an almost unrecognisable side from the one that finished the 2017 season.

From the 17 players that faced the Warriors in Round 26 last year, only seven players will line up against the Sydney Roosters on Saturday and only five will be in the same position as they were last year.

Esan Marsters, Kevin Naiqama, Malakai Watene-Zelezniak, Luke Brooks, Tui Lolohea, Matt Eisenhuth and Alex Twal are the familiar faces for Wests Tigers, who will instead have six club debutants run out — Russell Packer, Ben Matulino, Corey Thompson, Josh Reynolds, Robbie Rochow and Pita Godinet.

As a club, there’s no hiding the poor record that Wests Tigers have against the boys from Bondi, with the Roosters prevailing in every counter between the two sides since the 2012 season.

However, the history suggests that a new-look side might prove the difference for Wests Tigers.

Only once before have Wests Tigers had more club debutants in a single game than Saturday’s — the season-opener in 2004 that saw Tim Sheens’ side take on the Cronulla Sharks at ANZ Stadium.

On that day, incredibly seven new faces took to the field in Wests Tigers colours for the first time, with Brett Hodgson, Scott Prince, Shane Elford, Scott Sattler, Ben Reynolds, Nick Graham and Jason Moodie all helping steer the home side to a hard-fought 12-6 victory.

And while one game might not be much of a sample size, when we look a little closer, the record is equally as strong for Wests Tigers when four or more new faces feature in the side at the same time.

In 2002, five new players debuted for Wests Tigers in Round 1 against the Bulldogs — Ahmad Bajouri, Robert Mears, Chris Paterson, Steve Trindall and Troy Wozniak — as Wests Tigers won 28-22.

In 2006, there were four new faces from the Grand Final winning side the year before — Keith Galloway, Jamahl Lolesi, Ryan O’Hara and Michael Crockett helping Wests Tigers to a thrilling 24-15 win over the St. George-Illawarra Dragons in the season opener.

Four new players also debuted in Round 1 of the 2012 season: James Tedesco, Matt Bell, Tom Humble and Adam Blair all making their first appearance as Wests Tigers snuck home against the Cronulla Sharks.

It might not be much, but there’s something to be said for the way in which a new-look side can come together almost instantly throughout Wests Tigers history — will we see it again this Saturday?

Lets hope so!

• I thought we played Easts in the 1st game of 2002? The double header where Penrith played Parra.

• I think we’ll go OK but this could be construed as clutching at straws.

• We have been a good Round 1 team over the years.

• @:

I think we’ll go OK but this could be construed as clutching at straws.

Couldn’t agree more … irrelevant. Dan does some really good things but this is the ultimate fluff. Basically says if we don’t have history we are no chance .

• @:

In 2002, five new players debuted for Wests Tigers in Round 1 against the Bulldogs — Ahmad Bajouri, Robert Mears, Chris Paterson, Steve Trindall and Troy Wozniak

Geebus. That puts this years purchases into perspective.

• We need 30000 screaming Tigers fans to lift the lid off the stadium, rev the players up and ambush this over paid team! That’s how we can win round 1!

• Yep get there rev up the team, give it to teddy and let them know we were there at the start of the emergence of an era

• @:

I thought we played Easts in the 1st game of 2002? The double header where Penrith played Parra.

• @:

@:

I thought we played Easts in the 1st game of 2002? The double header where Penrith played Parra.

Yep…we wore the rare, striped V jumper

• @:

@:

@:

Was actually going to start a thread on that game, being the only other time we’ve played the Roosters in round one, thinking it was a blowout, hoping we don’t get a repeat. Then when I went back and looked at the score, it was only 30-16. I remember it being a lot more lopsided. We might have scored a couple late tries. I remember Kevvie McGuiness’ trash talk after he scored. Then he came under fire for it, so when he scored the week after he put his finger to his lips.

• @:

@:

@:

@:

Was actually going to start a thread on that game, being the only other time we’ve played the Roosters in round one, thinking it was a blowout, hoping we don’t get a repeat. Then when I went back and looked at the score, it was only 30-16. I remember it being a lot more lopsided. We might have scored a couple late tries. I remember Kevvie McGuiness’ trash talk after he scored. Then he came under fire for it, so when he scored the week after he put his finger to his lips.

It still amazes me after the perceived success of the double headers why they haven’t become the norm in Sydney

Brisbane has one a year and it is a roaring success from the fans I know that go

The only thing I can think that might upset some is members and seating , but apart from that can anyone tell me anything they found was annoying at double headers ??

And to answer Dan’s question , history is exactly that …… history , it’s not going to make one iota of difference to Saturday’s result

We are going to have to play out of our skins to get the 2 points on Saturday and possibly even hope that the Roosters have a bad day

Let’s hope Tedesco and Cronk think what poo show did they sign up for in 2018 after about 6.00 pm Saturday 🙏

• @:

We have been a good Round 1 team over the years.

Yes we have been! Then it’s usually all downhill from there 😆

Recent Topics