Coaching Insider: Round 1

• Wests Tigers Head Coach Ivan Cleary says it’s important his side start to find their way in 2018 with a strong performance against the Sydney Roosters tomorrow.

Cleary was honest in his assessment of the season opener for all teams and the problems that can come with that, but said it was key for his side to get the ball rolling as early as possible.

“We just want to get started — it’s as simple as that,” Cleary said of his side’s focus this week.

"I don’t think anyone can expect their absolute best performance in Round 1 but there’s some areas we expect to be good in and they’re the ones we’re focussing on mainly.

"Just getting out and getting stuck in and enjoying it will be the focus for us.

"It’s been a long preparation for this game. It hasn’t been just the two weeks [since our last trial] but the last four months of pre-season and there’s so much excitement for Round 1 of the competition.

"It’s only natural to feel that — the boys feel it and the staff feel it.

“Everyone is pretty excited about getting started tomorrow,” he continued.

“There’s probably more questions than answers at the moment and some of those answers we’ll find out tomorrow. It’s going to take time; it’s a completely new team here in many respects so we’re not expecting it to be perfect tomorrow but we’ve prepared well and I expect us to be very competitive.”

Wests Tigers will field six club debutants as well as the returning Benji Marshall in a new-look side for tomorrow’s game, while the Roosters too will see a number of new faces as Premiership winner Cooper Cronk and former Wests Tigers fullback James Tedesco link up with the boys from Bondi.

“It’s good to have Benji back. It’s good to see him genuinely happy,” Cleary enthused.

"It’s really good to see someone who has done so much for the club really want to come back and love the club — it’s definitely a positive for us to have and for the squad.

"Every team is still trying to find their way early in the season whether they have had changes or not.

“The Roosters have obviously had some big changes around key players so a bit like us they’ll be trying to find their way through that and just navigate your way through those first few rounds.”

Wests Tigers will kick off against the Sydney Roosters at ANZ Stadium tomorrow with kickoff at 4:30pm.

https://www.weststigers.com.au/news/2018/03/09/coaching-insider-round-12/

• I know it was expected, but the need to address Tedesco was boring. Glad Ivan virtually ignored it.

• His comment about Noff was interesting. Sounds like it’s purely about his defence.

• Gee I like this coach, Go the Mighty Wests Tigers.

• @:

His comment about Noff was interesting. Sounds like it’s purely about his defence.

what comment?

• Sounds like a cop out. We are just starting, is all new etc. Imagine if those quotes belonged to JT.
    Hopefully when he is saying it will take time, he is not referring to the next 2 years, otherwise he may go the way of previous coaches.
    He is in a much better position than previous coaches in that he has been able to assemble his own squad within 6 months without having half of his cap eaten by non performing white ants.
    This side should be aiming for early victories and the finals

• I believe Ivan has a long term plan in mind - it will all take time to come together and we fans have to be patient and be prepared to put our faith in him and a longer road. To arc up after 2 trials or even after the next 8-10 games is ridiculous. He has recruited the particular guys (from what was available) and signed them to deals that are specific to a purpose - I’ve heard him say that “he is perfect for where we are now and what we are trying to do at this time”. Ivan realises we were never going to get a bunch of elite NRL stars to come to the Tigers just yet. He is trying to build a team, a culture and a style of playing that will attract those types over the next few years.
    The best we can ask is that each player gives 100% each week and that we are competitive each week. It is really plain to see and feel the change in direction and vibe coming from the club - I hope that this momentum keeps rolling with some on field success, if it does we’ll be a force over the next few seasons.

• @:

I believe Ivan has a long term plan in mind - it will all take time to come together and we fans have to be patient and be prepared to put our faith in him and a longer road. To arc up after 2 trials or even after the next 8-10 games is ridiculous. He has recruited the particular guys (from what was available) and signed them to deals that are specific to a purpose - I’ve heard him say that “he is perfect for where we are now and what we are trying to do at this time”. Ivan realises we were never going to get a bunch of elite NRL stars to come to the Tigers just yet. He is trying to build a team, a culture and a style of playing that will attract those types over the next few years.
    The best we can ask is that each player gives 100% each week and that we are competitive each week. It is really plain to see and feel the change in direction and vibe coming from the club - I hope that this momentum keeps rolling with some on field success, if it does we’ll be a force over the next few seasons.

Well said!!

• @:

@:

His comment about Noff was interesting. Sounds like it’s purely about his defence.

what comment?

My question too

• @:

@:

what comment?

It wasn’t much, he just said he picked the team that he thought would beat the Roosters in response to a question about Noff. Thats just how I interpreted it.

• @:

Sounds like a cop out. We are just starting, is all new etc. Imagine if those quotes belonged to JT.
    Hopefully when he is saying it will take time, he is not referring to the next 2 years, otherwise he may go the way of previous coaches.
    He is in a much better position than previous coaches in that he has been able to assemble his own squad within 6 months without having half of his cap eaten by non performing white ants.

As most of the squad and basically all that he has acquired are here for a few years, they must perform to a reasonable level immediately. The previous couple of coaches inherited nearly full rosters, as such they were handicapped by those squads and cap problems, which no longer applies bar $100k odd for Sirro at Manly.

Whilst I think Ivan is the best of these coaches, unlike the other two which I was sympathetic to their plight, in these circumstances he does not get any leeway from me.

• @:

@:

@:

what comment?

It wasn’t much, he just said he picked the team that he thought would beat the Roosters in response to a question about Noff. Thats just how I interpreted it.

He simply avoided the question.

• @:

Sounds like a cop out. We are just starting, is all new etc. Imagine if those quotes belonged to JT.

Do you really think that the team is not aiming for victories and the finals? Even when we were at our worst, I never thought that we weren’t aiming to win. This is the best squad that we have had for a long time but there would be no point in them turning up if they didn’t think that they could win.

I don’t know whether we’ll win or not but an 80 minute performance will give us a chance and I’ll be there to see the victory lap if it happens.

• @:

I keep hearing the term “re-build”. What’s to re-build? The rebuild came last year when Cleary was assembling the squad.

Recent Topics