Luke Brooks hails his new protectors in the forward pack

• Tigers halfback Luke Brooks hails his new protectors in the forward pack

THEY’RE the Kiwi protectors that have Tigers halfback Luke Brooks brimming with confidence heading into Saturday’s season-opener against the Roosters.

Star recruits Russell Packer and Ben Matulino have significantly strengthened the Tigers pack following the departures of Aaron Woods and Ava Seumanufagai.

As the team’s playmaker, Brooks is pumped at the prospect of playing alongside Packer and Matulino.

He admits it was difficult playing behind a young pack in the past, especially against the barnstorming Roosters, but he is buzzing about the club’s new enforcers.

“Their experience gives me a lot of confidence,” Brooks said about Packer and Matulino.

“That’s where the game will be won, because the Roosters have got a massive pack.

Ben Matulino in a trial against the Sharks.
    “But we’ve got some big boys ourselves now that will really beef-up our front row.

“In the past our forwards have only been young boys and we’ve only had the one or two experienced first graders.

“Now we’ve got about four or five in the pack and that is definitely going to help us on and off the field.”

Brooks reserved particular praise for Packer, who

“Russell has been great, especially off the field with his talk,” he said.

“With his experience he has a lot of knowledge of the game, so that really helps us.”

Packer is equally enthused about joining forces with Matulino in a bid to transform the Tigers from pretenders to contenders.

“Ben and I were signed as experienced first grade players,” Packer said.

“I guess with that experience brings expectation, but throughout the course of our careers people know what to expect from us.

“I know I’m up for that challenge by leading the way on the field.”

Packer says Matulino, his former Warriors teammate, was a major reason why he left St George Illawarra for the Tigers.

“The club had signed Ben prior to me coming,” he said.

“Plus a few old relationships with Ivan and Elijah (Taylor) from the Warriors played a role for me.

“There is a bit of familiarity there and that made my decision a little bit easier.”

https://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sport/nrl/teams/tigers/tigers-halfback-luke-brooks-hails-his-new-protectors-in-the-forward-pack/news-story/10133e7531dabb7675362fcdce54e457

• He’s putting it all out there and is leaving himself with no excuses. If he has a poor year, I would not be surprised if we try and offload him or try and do a deal with him involved in a player swap, or be involved in a player merry go round. This is his last chance. He better make it count.

• As long as he can capitalise on the platform his ‘protectors’ will hopefully provide for him then he will have done his job. Come on Brooksy, have a blinder for me.

• @:

Tigers halfback Luke Brooks hails his new protectors in the forward pack

THEY’RE the Kiwi protectors that have Tigers halfback Luke Brooks brimming with confidence heading into Saturday’s season-opener against the Roosters.

Star recruits Russell Packer and Ben Matulino have significantly strengthened the Tigers pack following the departures of Aaron Woods and Ava Seumanufagai.

As the team’s playmaker, Brooks is pumped at the prospect of playing alongside Packer and Matulino.

He admits it was difficult playing behind a young pack in the past, especially against the barnstorming Roosters, but he is buzzing about the club’s new enforcers.

“Their experience gives me a lot of confidence,” Brooks said about Packer and Matulino.

“That’s where the game will be won, because the Roosters have got a massive pack.

Ben Matulino in a trial against the Sharks.
    “But we’ve got some big boys ourselves now that will really beef-up our front row.

“In the past our forwards have only been young boys and we’ve only had the one or two experienced first graders.

“Now we’ve got about four or five in the pack and that is definitely going to help us on and off the field.”

Brooks reserved particular praise for Packer, who

“Russell has been great, especially off the field with his talk,” he said.

“With his experience he has a lot of knowledge of the game, so that really helps us.”

Packer is equally enthused about joining forces with Matulino in a bid to transform the Tigers from pretenders to contenders.

“Ben and I were signed as experienced first grade players,” Packer said.

“I guess with that experience brings expectation, but throughout the course of our careers people know what to expect from us.

“I know I’m up for that challenge by leading the way on the field.”

Packer says Matulino, his former Warriors teammate, was a major reason why he left St George Illawarra for the Tigers.

“The club had signed Ben prior to me coming,” he said.

“Plus a few old relationships with Ivan and Elijah (Taylor) from the Warriors played a role for me.

“There is a bit of familiarity there and that made my decision a little bit easier.”

https://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sport/nrl/teams/tigers/tigers-halfback-luke-brooks-hails-his-new-protectors-in-the-forward-pack/news-story/10133e7531dabb7675362fcdce54e457

His “protectors” are a long way away in the defensive line ……

• Brooks is talking a lot and it sounds like he is trying to convince himself he is going to have a good year because of all these external factors. It’s up to him to step up and to do that he needs to focus on his own game.

• I like Luke, seems like a level headed kid but he has to deliver this year. Making all these claims he now has to make good on them.

• @:

Agreed… But dont let that get in the way of a good fluff piece to suck in a few more fans

• “In the past our forwards have only been young boys" Take that Aaron.

• ForumSupporter

@:

@:

Agreed… But dont let that get in the way of a good fluff piece to suck in a few more fans

So cynical u two…

Luke has Rowdy and Kevvy looking after him in D…nothing can go wrong…and our wingers won’t concede a point…

• @:

“In the past our forwards have only been young boys" Take that Aaron.

Well they were! People seem to forget that. Now we have some older more experienced forwards like Matulino, Packer and McQueen.

• @:

@:

@:

So cynical u two…

Luke has Rowdy and Kevvy looking after him in D…nothing can go wrong…and our wingers won’t concede a point…

Of Course… We are gona smash them 40-0!

• @:

Brooks is talking a lot and it sounds like he is trying to convince himself he is going to have a good year because of all these external factors. It’s up to him to step up and to do that he needs to focus on his own game.

Luke has been talking alot… though it does seem to be with a different level of accountability than before. I wouldnt be suprised if this year it actually clicks for him for a number of reasons, though Packer and Matulino being pro’s and knowing the differing runs needed at different times in the set and/or field position is a big bonus.

Woods only had one cookie cutter hit up… big metres, backing into the line for a horrendously slow play the ball. Packer wont make the metres Woods ever did, but he has a punchy aggressive running style with an extremely quick PTB which sets up a roll on effect, and Matulino can be a destructive runner and with his arms free has great awareness to release anyone sniffing around. When in the grind, we should be much more effective as defences will not have as much chance to be back as when Woods was taking 2 hit ups per set.

• @:

@:

Brooks is talking a lot and it sounds like he is trying to convince himself he is going to have a good year because of all these external factors. It’s up to him to step up and to do that he needs to focus on his own game.

Luke has been talking alot… though it does seem to be with a different level of accountability than before. I wouldnt be suprised if this year it actually clicks for him for a number of reasons, though Packer and Matulino being pro’s and knowing the differing runs needed at different times in the set and/or field position is a big bonus.

Woods only had one cookie cutter hit up… big metres, backing into the line for a horrendously slow play the ball. Packer wont make the metres Woods ever did, but he has a punchy aggressive running style with an extremely quick PTB which sets up a roll on effect, and Matulino can be a destructive runner and with his arms free has great awareness to release anyone sniffing around. When in the grind, we should be much more effective as defences will not have as much chance to be back as when Woods was taking 2 hit ups per set.

Exactly, improvements to the playing style for sure having replaced Woods with these two. Opposition teams would’ve been looking forward to their mini holiday every time Woods took a hit up. We’ll hopefully be seeing a much more positive style of play, and I think that will really open things up for Brooks. Moses always appeared to get in his way too, so I’m sure that will also help his game.

• Loved watching Packer today. Really did the tough stuff when it mattered most at the end of the game.

Recent Topics