Impressive by lots. We are the real deal.

Looking at our performances I think we are the real deal. Should’ve won again last night I’m very impressed by the following.

1. Only conceded 2 tries against good opposition.

2)Beating Melbourne away overcoming one sided referring.

1. Had the misfortune of having key guys out before a ball was kicked but replacements slotting in knowing their place, it seems as whole squad almost feels as one and despite the disruption no obvious weak link.

2. Almost zero drop off in standard when bench guys come on. This is rare think that Twal and Eisenhuth keep up pressure. Thought Chee Kam was very good when he came on. Dosent seem the usual wait for a few minutes for replacement to get up to speed. This keeps pressure on opposition with no let up tremendous fitness for guys.

3. Almost seems like team plays expecting to win and their body language is almost like a top 4 side.

6)The most impressive thing for me is the team seems to have thought about as a group and studied and trained for a wide range of scenarios. In all 3 games on falling behind late there seemed no panic but against Easts for example they upped the tempo and took a few more risks. Then against Melbourne they played calm whilst in front despite the penalties against them and when they lost the lead worked for and got repeat sets and Brooks try even though the pass hit the ground was a well worked move with a great decoy by Lawrence isolating 3 Melbourne defenders over 30m.
And even last night how impressive was it when having conceded the dubious penalty late and falling behind 7-6 from the restart they won ball back and Brooks cool as you like slotted FG. It’s like everything has been thought out.

Credit obviously to Cleary and staff and whole club really.
Thinking this level of commitment is sustainable for a happy and success hungry group and as our second phase play develops this is top 6 stuff.

Dont treat this as a negative post.

However I have no idea how people think we can be the real deal having scored 3 tries in 3 weeks, each with a touch of luck about them

Yes you need defence to win comps but you all need strike power, name me a side that doesn’t have it.

Bottom Im very proud of our team because we are playing well above our weight. Each week we are playing sides with more skills, speed and power.

@:

However I have no idea how people think we can be the real deal having scored 3 tries in 3 weeks, each with a touch of luck about them

Yes you need defence to win comps but you all need strike power, name me a side that doesn’t have it.

Bottom Im very proud of our team because we are playing well above our weight. Each week we are playing sides with more skills, speed and power.

The courage they have shown in defence is nothing to sneeze at, and will keep us in most games. But we need to be creating chances with the ball too.

@:

Yes we need to score more points as the season goes on but we have been missing 3/4 of our first choice spine for the last 2 games and 2/4 for the first 1. We have played the top 3 sides from last year in a row and have won 2 and should have won a 3rd

We are a team that is worrying other sides

This time last year we had leaked 18 tries

Parra will be interesting. Not known for their defence - let’s see if our attack gets more opportunities next week.

@:

Get back on the bus Eddie, we need everyone on board.

@:

I agree with your assessment re our lack of attack atm but thinking this will improve with the development of our second phase play.

Our dedication and commitment is second to none. This happens rarely and haven’t seen this from WT or maggies teams since 78.

Most people are thinking, the defence is out of this world and the attack will get better as so many new faces have time to gell. I really really wonder where is our attack going to come from, even at full strength. Zero speed and B all class, don’t get me wrong we have a massive amount of ticker, but that will wear thin very quickly when we start to struggle to win games. We have scored three try’s in 2018 and all where pretty lucky.
Also to have a roster without a top notch goal kicker is madness

Why is MCK’s try from last night classed as lucky? Deliberate kick, nice try……if Cronk or Thurston kicked one like that for their outside men it would be lauded as genius play.
Thompson should have scored from 2 other kicks with a bit of good fortune. We should see more attack flow vs Parra next week.

@:

@:

I agree with your assessment re our lack of attack atm but thinking this will improve with the development of our second phase play.

Our dedication and commitment is second to none. This happens rarely and haven’t seen this from WT or maggies teams since 78.

Defense has been outstanding and I am sure the effort they’re putting in makes attacking more difficult.

Second phase play has been good but execution needs to be better. Offloads were hitting the ground a lot which kills momentum and there was very little support play. Look at how Manly dismantled Parra.

We don’t need to be fancy to beat Parra. Just play with the same intensity, support the ball runner and build pressure the points will come.

I think your right ‘Upthetigers’’. Many on this forum are wondering how our attack will develop. I think it will be through rolling through the middle and creating second phase opportunities. We can not attack through great set pieces using speed to get an advantage out wide - we don’t have the speed. But rolling through the middle and then creating chances through off loads- we can do that

@:

@:

Yes we need to score more points as the season goes on but we have been missing 3/4 of our first choice spine for the last 2 games and 2/4 for the first 1. We have played the top 3 sides from last year in a row and have won 2 and should have won a 3rd

We are a team that is worrying other sides

Totally agree , freak out when our best 17 can’t score points

Points will come
If Coen Hess can score short range tries so can some of our forwards
They just need to run the right lines
I am sure Ivan will be working on this
Thompson also looks really dangerous
He needs to try and get a little more involved when we are close to the line
He seems to break through the first and second tackles when running the ball back
If he can drawer players close to the line holes will open up
We just need our players backing up looking for an offload

@:

Points will come
If Coen Hess can score short range tries so can some of our forwards
They just need to run the right lines
I am sure Ivan will be working on this
Thompson also looks really dangerous
He needs to try and get a little more involved when we are close to the line
He seems to break through the first and second tackles when running the ball back
If he can drawer players close to the line holes will open up
We just need our players backing up looking for an offload

We don’t have any forward that even remotely resembles Coen Hess. He’s a machine.

Recent Topics

Support our community by clicking here and joining our Forum Support Scheme

Can’t log in or access your account?
Send an email to contact@weststigersforum.com and we’ll get you back online.