Who to blame for Salary Cap offenders , NRL , players or player managers ??

NRL 360 brought up some real good points while talking to Barrett and Buzz

Should we blame the Player Managers or Players in all these salary cap debacle

Or is it the NRL fault for not imposing far bigger penalties that clubs would fear

I think Ikin mentioned it in plain terms , John Doe does his tax , his accountant presents him with the print out saying this is your return , this is what you have earned , and you sign off on it

if the poo hits the fan during an audit the accountant doesn’t cop it , you do , you agreed to the figures

Why if the NRL knows which players are at fault do they not do something , 2 year ban from April 2 2018 ( so the player can’t say they thought it was an April Fools joke

Also supposedly on Player Manager was involved in both the Parra and Manly salary cap issues (according to BUzz it isn’t Gavin Orr DCE player manager

Do we need to smash those leeches of society far more heavily and why hasn’t the NRL crushed whoever the PM involved in both salary cap situations

Personally you just smash every side of it , make it so unappealing to players , clubs and player managers that if you get caught you will regret it big time

Ban players from rep footy for life , 2 year bans from playing rugby league internationally , automatically handed over to the ATO for automatic jail sentences , clubs automatically get stripped their 3 top players and lose 2 million in cap dollars and have TPA’s stripped for 5 years and player managers get life bans , not allowed to associate with rugby league games / players and if they do , jail time

Its funny , when you impose harsh penalties problems disappear

I remember at school being told by my Citizenship Education teacher that a particular Eastern European country had major issues with drink driving and deaths caused by it

So they imposed the death penalty for your 2nd DUI offence , basically the only people caught twice were alcoholics

Any other answers /solutions to ponder over ??

@:

I think Ikin mentioned it in plain terms , John Doe does his tax , his accountant presents him with the print out saying this is your return , this is what you have earned , and you sign off on it

if the poo hits the fan during an audit the accountant doesn’t cop it , you do , you agreed to the figures

I believe you can still take action against your accountant if they are negligent. Yes it is your personal responsibility, like athletes taking tablets to ensure they aren’t performance-enhancing, but also there is duty of care from an employed professional. If you are providing false information however, then that’s something else.

But the analogy doesn’t really apply here anyway IMO. Accountants are being paid to summarise your earnings for the government and help you reduce tax (legally). Agents are out there to generate and execute contracts for players - they are balls-deep in the discussions and party to any illegalities. I cannot think of any situation where the player agent would not be completely aware of the sum total of the player’s club deal, particularly because the agent takes a cut.

I personally think the agents should get rolled the same as the club does, and the player also needs to take some responsibility if they are proven turning a blind eye to shady practices. Not a single player in the game has been fingered in any salary cap dramas, despite there being at least 1 drama every 2-3 seasons?

I’ll certainly accept that a player on $X doesn’t know the total cap for his club, but if he starts receiving money in paper bags, free cars or travel, separate books / accounts etc. etc. he would know he’s in on something shady and if that ever becomes proven, he should go down too.

The blame lies with all involved …it is easy to fix all payments to players have to be on public record and made official by the NRL …any breaches a life time ban is applied.
Just like the NFL all payments are registered and for public viewing.

@:

The blame lies with all involved …it is easy to fix all payments to players have to be on public record and made official by the NRL …any breaches a life time ban is applied.
Just like the NFL all payments are registered and for public viewing.

X2

Recent Topics

Support our community by clicking here and joining our Forum Support Scheme

Can’t log in or access your account?
Send an email to contact@weststigersforum.com and we’ll get you back online.