Referees and commentators

Is the reffing really that bad? The Klein call last week aside, has it been any worse than other years? Are the commentators blowing it out of proportion?

The refs are somewhat doing their job, enforcing the rules. When they don’t do it, commentators complain. Now when they do, commentators complain. What the ‘great’ minds of Johns and Gould have not said is how the refs should do their job.

Gould has gone too far. I honestly don’t want to watch the broadcast anymore, not because of the footy (I’ll always watch it) but because 9 have empowered Gould to shoot down other people’s careers. Politics and agendas aren’t interesting. Shut up and call the game.

The nerve of commentators to state over and over that the refereeing isn’t what fans want. If it isn’t what we want then why keep talking about it? I don’t want to continue being reminded that some talking heads don’t like the way the game is being run. How about they focus on the good, not the bad?

I’m a fan. No one asked me what I like! They are not speaking for me nor many others I’d suggest

It doesn’t suit the clubs, you can not trust Gould on these issues because he can’t see his own bias.

Commentaters need to get more professional and have less of a biased opinion on the game .

Players need to conform to the rules better .

Somethings gotta give. The amount of penalties is killing every game as a spectacle

Gould has an agenda to run 100%.

He wants a certain thing to happen (the refs backing off) and he is using his media role to push it.

He showed he has not idea when he started talking about junior refs having to blow a lot of penalties as due to safe play penalties can get out of control there. Besides that kids listen to and follow ref instruction a lot quick than these NRL players seem to.

Has anyone watched park footy recently? This is the way it is reffed at junior level. Multiple sin bins, send offs and penalties for stupendess stuff. The refs cop a hammering by the spectators

@:

Commentaters need to get more professional and have less of a biased opinion on the game .

Players need to conform to the rules better .

This 100%

@:

Somethings gotta give. The amount of penalties is killing every game as a spectacle

It’s only round 4 , it will improve .

@:

@:

Yep as the players and coaches adhere to the rules.

If you think about what Gould was saying he basically said that the refs didn’t give them time to prepare to play by the rules.

I’m going to paraphrase a little here.
He said something like “the refs came down to training and said that we are focusing on foot on ball as you play the ball. But they discovered that that slowed down the speed of the play the ball and the players were moving off the line quicker - they didn’t warn us they were going to crack down on that”

What he is really saying is the coaches didn’t adjust their line speed with the reduced ruck speed and expected the refs to just let the players rush up and shut down all play so that all that can occur is dummy half runs or one out plays. The coaches have to read the game and adjust accordingly.

@:

@:

@:

Yep as the players and coaches adhere to the rules.

If you think about what Gould was saying he basically said that the refs didn’t give them time to prepare to play by the rules.

I’m going to paraphrase a little here.
He said something like “the refs came down to training and said that we are focusing on foot on ball as you play the ball. But they discovered that that slowed down the speed of the play the ball and the players were moving off the line quicker - they didn’t warn us they were going to crack down on that”

What he is really saying is the coaches didn’t adjust their line speed with the reduced ruck speed and expected the refs to just let the players rush up and shut down all play so that all that can occur is dummy half runs or one out plays. The coaches have to read the game and adjust accordingly.

Fair enough …
Although having Fox I haven’t watched or listen to Gould in decades lol

Just wondering why this year suddenly the way Melbourne play the game is no longer acceptable!

Gould is a knob John’s is an even bigger knob. There is some merit in what they say but no grandstanding required.

@:

Just wondering why this year suddenly the way Melbourne play the game is no longer acceptable!

It is acceptable IMO ( except the wrestle ) .
They’re just an average team without Cronk and like every other team they need to get used to the way the refs police the game .

@:

Better late than never. Maybe they have finally begun listening to people like me that had enough a decade or so ago and no longer watch games that certain teams play, unless of course they are playing the one that they support.

Watching and enjoying the English comp Hull local derby in the background as I type, having avoided this evenings local product because of the wrestle and two refs, with the extra one that was originally brought in to oversee the ruck.

Recent Topics

Support our community by clicking here and joining our Forum Support Scheme

Can’t log in or access your account?
Send an email to contact@weststigersforum.com and we’ll get you back online.