Go forward...

The last few weeks it has been a big quality of our game… but today we seemed to be playing sideways… as soon as we start running direct we looked alot better

MWZ was good and is clearly proving a point to keep his spot over nofu and took alot of hit ups… but imo nofu hits it up harder… is it time he is brought back?

Lawrence MOTM for mine didn’t do to many sideway meters.

@:

Lawrence MOTM for mine didn’t do to many sideway meters.

Lawrence got us some big carries when we were done.

When we play laterally you take Liddle’s effectiveness out of the game

When we went forward and started turning the ball inside we actually outmatched the Storm’s go forward

100%. A lot of swearing from me, cos we kept running sideways. While MWZ had a high work-rate his runs were really ineffective. Noffa should be in the squad next week.

@:

100%. A lot of swearing from me, cos we kept running sideways. While MWZ had a high work-rate his runs were really ineffective. Noffa should be in the squad next week.

Agree Tack, MWZ tries hard but he is average. Solid defensively but average. We need a bit more X-factor in the backline somewhere.

But do we need to upset the defensive cohesion?

@:

@:

Agree Tack, MWZ tries hard but he is average. Solid defensively but average. We need a bit more X-factor in the backline somewhere.

Agree completely. I thought MWS looked a reserve grader out there tonight. Plenty of carries but only 1 or 2 of them were acceptable. He gets smashed time and time again. His dropped ball early could have been very costly too.

@:

Early on I would of agreed

I thought he was good late in the match , but that was because he straightened up and relied on footwork at the line

Melbourne had really good line speed and aggressive defence first half, so I feel we tried to move the ball to the edges as much as we could.

Once they tired and we started making yardage, Tigers straightened the attack fairly well.

So I felt it was 50% lack of directness, Benji had a bludger of a first half, and 50% Melbourne defence.

it was Liddle who straightened the attack when he came on and Josh Aloiai revelled in the " up the guts" style of attack. I believe that, without these two, we would have lost.

It’s an interesting one. Let’s say for arguments sake that Nofo and Fonua were our starting centres. Now they are far more likely to put us on the front foot than Thompson and MWZ, and they’re both renowned tackle breakers and offloaders, so our second phase play is likely to benefit. It’s the mistakes they have in them though which could cost us, and is probably keeping them out of FG. Thompson and MWZ are both very safe under the high ball and defensively don’t have targets on their backs like Nofo and Fonua would. Ivan is obviously going with the “safe as houses” approach for now.

Liddle really puts us on the front foot through the middle though, it was very pronounced in the second half as Godinet was getting bumped off every tackle and just doesn’t take the line on. Getting Taylor back will help us.

If Nofo can play in the front row then he can take Packers place
Because I would keep all our backs as they are
They have all performed well enough and have helped us win our games
As much as I like Nofo
I wouldn’t change something unless it’s broken
If Packer is out then Cleary is likely to go with either Sue or Grant
But I like the Idea of Possibly bringing in Fonua
Mix of power and speed off the bench in two 15 minute bursts
Either way a spot opens up
Reynolds can take Godinets spot
Godinet was broken in the second half
To many mistakes from him
I would put that down to him being tired
He is the smallest guy in the Nrl And his small frame won’t handle the big guys week in week out
He has done ok up till today but he needs a rest IMO

I’ve noticed during this year that MWZ hardly runs straight, always sideways and is ineffective to actually gaining meters.

Defence wise he’s doing well, but when you have wingers that have the impact of raging bulls in Nofa and Mahe you wonder why they aren’t in the squad.

I’d like to see Benji play quicker and more direct than he has been instead of the slo-mo sideways stuff.

And stop actually running backwards motioning for others to run under him and hit the line - why not just step in between a couple of defenders and take the tackle? He’s plenty good enough to do that, he’s only taking a tackle maybe a couple of times the entire game? That doesn’t commit defenders.

Recent Topics

Support our community by clicking here and joining our Forum Support Scheme

Can’t log in or access your account?
Send an email to contact@weststigersforum.com and we’ll get you back online.