Tigers' Origin hopes look soft: Simmons

Tigers’ Origin hopes look soft: Simmons April 28, 2010 - 4:34AM

AAP

If any Wests Tigers players hope to play State of Origin this year, they must stop being overconfident, with assistant coach Royce Simmons warning “if you want a soft win, fight your sister”.

After starting their NRL season with plenty of promise, winning four of their first five games, the Tigers are now facing their third consecutive loss when they host the Roosters at Campbelltown Stadium on Sunday.

Simmons said there was no doubt the side’s early form had led them to play with overconfidence and had paid the price with back-to-back losses.

“They got too much confidence after those wins in a row and started to promote the ball too early in the game,” he said.

"They didn’t earn the right to move the ball.

“Jack Gibson used to say `if you want a soft win, fight your sister’ and that’s pretty right.”

The Tigers have several players in serious consideration for NSW, including Robbie Farah, centre Chris Lawrence and prop Keith Galloway.

Also, 2008 City-Country representatives Chris Heighington and Bryce Gibbs are aiming to earn themselves a recall to the game often touted as the NSW Origin selection trial.

But former Panthers coach Simmons said any Origin selection will be determined by the Tigers refocusing and improving their form.

Galloway said he wasn’t giving too much thought about a possible NSW call-up, saying he is focused on getting back to full fitness.

“I’m just trying to get back on the field and fit again, but once I’m fit and healthy and playing good footy, who knows what can happen,” he said.

Heighington said he was hopeful he would be selected for the Country team and given a chance to prove his Origin claims.

😆 That will do me….Royce has become the motivational Guru at the Wests Tigers…

God help us All…

@Geo.:

😆 That will do me….Royce has become the motivational Guru at the Wests Tigers…

God help us All…

Yeah, kick the players while they are down in the hope of firing them up…Better yet, whack some super glue on their hands so they hold the ball for a change, then we might see some improvement.

Confidence with the way the fellas play is a good thing. Can’t believe Roycey would make those kind of comments. Shows we need a new coaching staff rather than a couple of old forwards.

I would bet of Simmons sister in any fight between the two. If he doesn’t have one I would bet on anyone’s sister to beat him up

lol i love the THEY from simmons

when the players are winning its WE

but when the players lose its THEY

ever think the carelessness may come from the attitude of the coaching staff royce? the same things happened since 2004 champ, maybe time to take some responsibility

Crikey there are some winky dinks on here.

Simmons is 100% right.

A month ago we were looking full of Origin players.

Now I cant see us getting one……and he is right,we need to compete in games.

And hang on to the bleeding ball.

Spot on from Royce, Farah said the same thing after the game on Saturday. We just need to hang onto the ball and play out our 6. If nothing is on just play the percentages and wait for a mistake from our opposition.

@MGB:

Spot on from Royce, Farah said the same thing after the game on Saturday. We just need to hang onto the ball and play out our 6. If nothing is on just play the percentages and wait for a mistake from our opposition.

That is right,but to be fair he should of give Sheens a spray for his inept team management,but that ain’t gonna happen.

as things stand right now - simmons has a point. good luck to the boys. we have mental problems in our team according to simmons - we win a few in a row we get too cocky - whats wrong with us - why doesnt st.george illawarra get cocky win after win after win and so on? How long will this problem persist?

Best thing i’ve heard all week to be honest. Somebody’s gotta tell them how it is. Well said Roycey!

@simonthetiger:

Crikey there are some winky dinks on here.

Simmons is 100% right.

A month ago we were looking full of Origin players.

Now I cant see us getting one……and he is right,we need to compete in games.

And hang on to the bleeding ball.

Completely agree …… if we controlled the ball last week we win

@AmericanHistoryX:

as things stand right now - simmons has a point. good luck to the boys. we have mental problems in our team according to simmons - we win a few in a row we get too cocky - whats wrong with us - why doesnt st.george illawarra get cocky win after win after win and so on? How long will this problem persist?

For the length of time we still have this coach it’s not going to change ,it’s been the same for 4yrs and it will continue …assistant coaching staff should of been changed this year.

well, if sheens cant give us a psychological edge like bennett does for the dragons then he should walk. the problem is bigger than team selections.

To many people there that have overseen the failures of many years,Bennett reinvented himself with a new start and all important NEW PEOPLE around him with fresh ideas and attitudes I thought that Sheens would of done that this year seeing the pressure was on to succeed.

Recent Topics

Support our community by clicking here and joining our Forum Support Scheme