Farah set to be on the bench for Australia in ANZAC test

THE City slickers face a play-making crisis ahead of next Friday’s annual State of Origin selection trial, with no experienced halfbacks fit to play and captain Robbie Farah tipped to be unavailable because of Kangaroos duty.

In the absence of injured duo Mitchell Pearce (shoulder) and Peter Wallace (knee), the only remaining halfback candidates are tyros Kris Keating and Trent Hodkinson.

The 21-year-olds have only just risen through the junior ranks at Cabramatta together but, with just 38 NRL appearances between them, they are now joint favourites for a shock representative call-up opposite formidable Country pair Todd Carney and Brett Kimmorley.

City’s chairman of selectors John Hayes was still coming to grips with the shortage when we contacted him yesterday.

“That’s caught us out a bit, so we will have to have a good look and come up with something,” Hayes said.

“Both [Keating] and [Hodkinson] are on our list, and there’s one other [Scott Porter] who is not playing first grade.”

Should the selectors not want to throw either youngster in the deep end, a makeshift half will have to suffice. Farah - named as the Tigers’ No.7 yesterday - shapes as the most obvious candidate but sources at ARL headquarters reckon he’ll more likely be in Melbourne than Port Macquarie next week.

We’ve been told Farah is an odds-on chance to make the Australian bench
, leaving City with only Braith Anasta, John Sutton and Feleti Mateo as ball-players with previous representative experience.

Lachlan Coote played his junior football at five eighth, but the Panthers flyer is already a shoo-in for fullback at City.

Source: Daily Telegraph

Good news for Farah, but whether it helps him with SOO selection is another issue.

is fitzy from the city? surely he will get the 7 gig

Fitzy is from Macksville so No he is a little bit Country

I reckon if Farah does play off the bench in the test and have a good game, it will certainly increase his chances of playing for the Blues. With the Blues halves positions wide open since the Pearce injury, Craig Wing now gone AND Farah been named at 7 (Is this the real reason, Sheens?), Farah could be quite handy covering numerous positions for the Blues in Game 1.

Will both Ennis AND Farah get the nod?

Personally, even though I don’t agree, I don’t think Farah stands a chance going head to head with Ennis for the hooker role alone. Selectors are smitten over Ennis from last year’s game 3 effort and that two try effort vs Farah certainly wouldn’t have helped.

I’d be happy to see Farah used as a utility for the Blues tbh. Better than nothing and I’m sure Robbie would take that with both hands.

P.S - In regards to the test, I can’t wait to see Marshall v Farah 😉

Bellamy to pick Farah as halfback. Stranger things have happened

moltz would have made his debut 😦

Moltzen wouldn’t be eligible coming from the Central Coast would make him a country boy.

As for the Blues he may have got the job with Farah in the 9.

I would have thought there was no way that Gidley would be removed from the Australian 14 jumper

ahhh yeah….
gosford, geez it’s just another suburb of sydney 😛

@smeghead:

I would have thought there was no way that Gidley would be removed from the Australian 14 jumper

Strange things can happen when your club coach is the national coach.

He deserves it no doubt, but if Sheens isn’t pulling the strings there then I’m a monkey’s uncle.

Oh Please…. The Telegraph are the best Spin-Doctors running around. Obviously struggling to sell as many papers as the Herald…

It would be an absolute farce if Farah makes that bench!!!

@Tiger Watto:

Oh Please…. The Telegraph are the best Spin-Doctors running around. Obviously struggling to sell as many papers as the Herald…

It would be an absolute farce if Farah makes that bench!!!

Exactly what the hell would be the farce in Farah making the bench? Or would you rather Kurt Gidley come on and play hooker? 😒

@jirskyr:

@smeghead:

Strange things can happen when your club coach is the national coach.

He deserves it no doubt, but if Sheens isn’t pulling the strings there then I’m a monkey’s uncle.

Funny, no one bats an eye lid when Wayne Bennett would pick 16 broncos for Australia.

@willow:

Good news for Farah, but whether it helps him with SOO selection is another issue.

I remember a time when if you got picked for Australia you were guaranteed selection for the blues. Has this policy been changed in recent years?

Recent Topics

Support our community by clicking here and joining our Forum Support Scheme