ROOSTERS AT CAMPBELLTOWN FOR FIRST TIME SINCE '04

By Wayne Cousins
28/04/2010 5:42:46 PM

Wests Tigers will meet the Sydney Roosters at Campbelltown Sports Stadium for the first time since 2004 when the arch-rivals clash on Sunday, May 2.

It has been a long time since the boys from Bondi have travelled down the Hume Highway to step out at Campbelltown for an NRL clash.

It was Friday, June 25, 2004, when the Roosters took on the Tigers at Campbelltown in front of a crowd of 18,669. Referee was Tim Mander. It was also the last time the two clubs clashed on a traditional suburban ground.

For Wests Tigers, it was a game to forget with the Roosters recording a crushing 56-0 victory on a cold Friday night.

A dominant first half saw the Roosters lead 40-0 at the break with centre Ryan Cross and half-back Brett Finch scoring three tries each in the win.

Forwards Chris Heighington, Liam Fulton and Bryce Gibbs are the only players from that beaten side who will line up again for the Wests Tigers against the Roosters this Sunday.

Injured props Todd Payten and Jason Cayless also played in that match for Wests Tigers and the Roosters respectively.

The Roosters hold a 9-7 win margin over the Wests Tigers in 16 matches between the clubs since 2000 with the honours locked at two wins each from the four games at Campbelltown.

Wests Tigers will be looking to revenge its 44-32 loss suffered in round two this season at the Sydney Football Stadium after leading 12-0 early.

A large crowd is expected to witness the clash on Sunday with members and supporters encouraged to pre-purchase their tickets now and arrive early. Gates open at 11.40am.

Wests Tigers winger Lote Tuqiri is looking forward to the clash after previously playing at Campbelltown Stadium for the Brisbane Broncos.

"I am really excited about playing at Campbelltown. It will be nice to have the fans cheering for me this time around,’’ he said.

"It is always special playing at the traditional grounds. The fans are very passionate and vocal at Campbelltown and it will be no different this week. "

@willow:

By Wayne Cousins
28/04/2010 5:42:46 PM

Wests Tigers will meet the Sydney Roosters at Campbelltown Sports Stadium for the first time since 2004 when the arch-rivals clash on Sunday, May 2.

It has been a long time since the boys from Bondi have travelled down the Hume Highway to step out at Campbelltown for an NRL clash.

It was Friday, June 25, 2004, when the Roosters took on the Tigers at Campbelltown in front of a crowd of 18,669. Referee was Tim Mander. It was also the last time the two clubs clashed on a traditional suburban ground.

For Wests Tigers, it was a game to forget with the Roosters recording a crushing 56-0 victory on a cold Friday night.

A dominant first half saw the Roosters lead 40-0 at the break with centre Ryan Cross and half-back Brett Finch scoring three tries each in the win.

Forwards Chris Heighington, Liam Fulton and Bryce Gibbs are the only players from that beaten side who will line up again for the Wests Tigers against the Roosters this Sunday.

Injured props Todd Payten and Jason Cayless also played in that match for Wests Tigers and the Roosters respectively.

The Roosters hold a 9-7 win margin over the Wests Tigers in 16 matches between the clubs since 2000 with the honours locked at two wins each from the four games at Campbelltown.

Wests Tigers will be looking to revenge its 44-32 loss suffered in round two this season at the Sydney Football Stadium after leading 12-0 early.

A large crowd is expected to witness the clash on Sunday with members and supporters encouraged to pre-purchase their tickets now and arrive early. Gates open at 11.40am.

Wests Tigers winger Lote Tuqiri is looking forward to the clash after previously playing at Campbelltown Stadium for the Brisbane Broncos.

"I am really excited about playing at Campbelltown. It will be nice to have the fans cheering for me this time around,’’ he said.

"It is always special playing at the traditional grounds. The fans are very passionate and vocal at Campbelltown and it will be no different this week. "

HARD TO THINK THE NEXT YEAR WE WIN THE COMP.

That match is burnt into my Psyche.

yeah 04 was a strange year… we were robbed in about 6 games got flogged by 56 and 50 now 2 weeks in a row and still almost finished in the 8, we only missed out because we were useless against the knights and cowgirls I remember everyone blaming Moodie for it

would be great to barbecue the roosters at campbo.
a win by a decent margin, would be fantastic.
then again a win is what we all desire.

Cowboys was the Halatau roasting. Even in it’s early carnations this forum dealt many bannings after that.

I remember the Newcastle game for the penalty attempt from half wayish and the lonely trip home

Oh my God, I remember a few floggings along the way but not this game, makes me even more determined to get there

Yeah way to go Cousins……why don’t you bring up the Saints game as well… 😒

Or is this part of Motivational Guru Roycie’s new plan to FIRE THEM UP…

Post it in the Rooms…

😆 Oh I see good ole Golden didn’t forget…

I rememever a Storm game too that let to John Simon retirement…

but yeah i remmeber checking the scores that Friday night back when the game was delayed after seeing it at 40-0 at halftime I knew not to watch the game but was happy we only got beat by 56!

I dont remmeber the penatly goal against newcastle from halfway?? maybe its best I dont remember that one 😆

I was at that Roosters game. Then we got belted by the Dragons the week after (or was it before?) by 52-0 or something like that.

I remember '04 and thinking that things were definitely different with the side, improved a lot based on the previous years. At the end of the year I was very much looking forward to the '05 season as things were starting to gel a bit in '04, discounting the 2 smackings we copped of course :slight_smile:.

Several posts in this thread have just been deleted due to violation of forum rules. Please stick to the topic.

Recent Topics

Support our community by clicking here and joining our Forum Support Scheme