Giving Up Home Games

gee I wouldn’t mind a home game….a close one last night we win at home.

@:

I think they are planning in a few years to not play home games at Leichhardt or Campbelltown, so they are starting to play less games there now in an effort to reduce the backlash from the fans.

Hence why the NZ game ans the Tamworth game came at the expense of LO and CSG and not the Olympic Stadium home games.

That’s incorrect - they (at the moment) get paid for playing at ANZ.

They pay Leichhardt Council rent for LO when they play - think it is the same for CSG.

The Tigers were paid 350,000 to play the game in NZ.

Nothing for Tamworth though.

Stand corrected on above though.

@:

I don’t see the issue. We’ve beaten the Storm twice this year, both in foreign environments and beat Manly at home, a side who never loses at Brookie. If you are a good side, it doesn’t matter where you play. And I believe we are a good side. Unfortunately some weeks things are off. Last night was one of those nights.

The hardest thing is playing on a ground for the 1st time , I know it was probably the same for 34 players last night but you take away home field advantage and crowd support

I suppose you can’t blame anyone for this , but Lawrence plays if this game is in Sydney as well

How about a compromise , if we plan on continuing this in the future we play our trial game here as well as the NRL game , makes some sense when you think about and helps possibly locks some new fans in the future

Just looking outside the square

If we start losing these games we take away on a regular basis the locked on fans who lose a game off their membership deals will be pissed ……

It is all about money and fair enough …I get a laugh when the home ground advantage is brought up …Really what home ground advantage the club has 6 home grounds and the worrying aspect is of late players and commentators are commenting about the same .
It is time the hard decisions be made and decide where OUR HOME GROUND and area will finally be .
Our club NEEDS a home instead of being nomads my choice has never changed the New Western Sydney Stadium is my choice in the heartland of our current grounds .
If we want to talk about home ground advantage let’s talk where the club should settle as at the moment this topic is void as there is no home ground advantage at all .
Let the discussion begin as there needs to be one!

@:

@:

I think they are planning in a few years to not play home games at Leichhardt or Campbelltown, so they are starting to play less games there now in an effort to reduce the backlash from the fans.

Hence why the NZ game ans the Tamworth game came at the expense of LO and CSG and not the Olympic Stadium home games.

That’s incorrect - they (at the moment) get paid for playing at ANZ.

They pay Leichhardt Council rent for LO when they play - think it is the same for CSG.

The Tigers were paid 350,000 to play the game in NZ.

Nothing for Tamworth though.

Stand corrected on above though.

Regardless of whether they get paid or pay to play to LO/ CSG (which may probably have been another consideration), I still think they are planning ahead to pick a single home stadium which is neither LO or CSG, and that was a component in the decision why they decided to play one less game at LO and CSG this year.

The good news is the travel is nearly over.

One more match in Rd 9 in NZ and barring a trip to Canberra late in the year, it’s mostly metro Sydney games.

Newcastle seemed to have energy for the 80 mins and we seemed tired.

But let’s put this into perspective. We are winning at 71% currently.

At this rate we’ll be 17 wins and 7 losses. That would put us on 36 points incl. the BYE!

We were bound to have a flat game sooner or later and we had some key guys out.

I think Lawrence and Packer were missed yesterday.

@:

It is all about money and fair enough …I get a laugh when the home ground advantage is brought up …Really what home ground advantage the club has 6 home grounds and the worrying aspect is of late players and commentators are commenting about the same .
It is time the hard decisions be made and decide where OUR HOME GROUND and area will finally be .
Our club NEEDS a home instead of being nomads my choice has never changed the New Western Sydney Stadium is my choice in the heartland of our current grounds .
If we want to talk about home ground advantage let’s talk where the club should settle as at the moment this topic is void as there is no home ground advantage at all .

We all agree we need one home ground

But I put this to you Snake , if this game is played at one of our TRUE home grounds we don’t suffer a 9-6 penalty count against us and it is probably reversed

The fact you could here the Knights fans more than WT’s fans says a lot

In the long run making the semis will get us far more money than getting money for a home game we lose

Thats the difference , and a very big difference at that

Snake loves PARRA stadium I take it he lives nearby.

@:

@:

But I put this to you Snake , if this game is played at one of our TRUE home grounds we don’t suffer a 9-6 penalty count against us and it is probably reversed

In the long run making the semis will get us far more money than getting money for a home game we lose

My head agrees with snake on this issue… It always has.
My heart comes into it as well… There is something about your true home ground.

Hap… You can’t say 100% we win the penalties at LO or CSS… Nor can you you be sure semis is more profitable than last week’s venture without figures.
You don’t know what sponsorship we may have secured, how many more memberships, merch revenue…
I’d safely bet all that would be much more than if we played at LO or CSS

@:

@:

Obviously you wernt at the game because their was well and truly more support for the Tigers then the Knights at the ground. Mot sure how that came through on tv but felt about 70 /30 tigers to knights.

We have lost plenty of penalty counts at home before too.

We lost last night because we were outplayed and we would have been outplayed at CSS or Lecihardt too - or are you ignoring our loosing record at those grounds.

Was a wonderful night in tamworth and the club should be commended for both making a good financial choice but also backing country areas.

Well done Wests Tigers and well done the NRL and dont listen to the same old wingers

@:

@:

@:

My head agrees with snake on this issue… It always has.
My heart comes into it as well… There is something about your true home ground.

Hap… You can’t say 100% we win the penalties at LO or CSS… Nor can you you be sure semis is more profitable than last week’s venture without figures.
You don’t know what sponsorship we may have secured, how many more memberships, merch revenue…
I’d safely bet all that would be much more than if we played at LO or CSS

My main point was made in the comment before Ink , take games to the bush yes , but lets play the trial in the same town so we can really our claws into the locals and get that true home ground advantage as well as securing more WT’s fans

If we can become a fans “2nd” team you will get a lot more support from the locals when their team isn’t playing

I don’t know about you , but I’d rather play at home than away , then again we haven’t played too many "home’ games this season have we 😆

Good idea trial AND one comp game… That way the bushies can almost have more REAL home games than we do in Sydney

@:

Good idea trial AND one comp game… That way the bushies can almost have more REAL home games than we do in Sydney

Well given they got better crowds mayby they deserve a team over Campbelltown.

But not Leichhardt of course eh Boonie

If we want a home ground advantage play 12 games at Leichhardt Oval. I wouldn’t complain about that. (cue bush fire on the forum)

We have won over 50% of games there over the 18 years despite us making just 3 finals appearances in 18 years.

However like most I realise being a joint venture carries different responsibilities. We have also been losing for so many years Justin Pascoe and co need to find ways to fill the coffers.

Really it is very hard to keep everyone happy with this home ground. I played for a grade cricket club that is merged and plays at 3 different home grounds. Comes with the territory.

Recent Topics

Support our community by clicking here and joining our Forum Support Scheme

Can’t log in or access your account?
Send an email to contact@weststigersforum.com and we’ll get you back online.