Giving Up Home Games

@:

The reason we’re having to take those games away is because we’ve performed badly at home in the previous 5 seasons and people weren’t coming. If we keep winning this year you’d think we’ll have one or two games more at our real grounds next season.

It’s a pity we didn’t hold on for one more tackle. The crowd against Parra next week would have been sizeable. Spose if we can beat them and keep it close w NZ we’ll get a good LO crowd.

Spot on Krayola! Home crowds will turn out in numbers for a winning team. Unfortunately, Tigers management didn’t anticipate our excellent form this year!

My head agrees with snake on this issue… It always has.
My heart comes into it as well… There is something about your true home ground.

Hap… You can’t say 100% we win the penalties at LO or CSS… Nor can you you be sure semis is more profitable than last week’s venture without figures.
You don’t know what sponsorship we may have secured, how many more memberships, merch revenue…
I’d safely bet all that would be much more than if we played at LO or CSS

I was at the game and went to the after game function.Pascoe said he thought they may sell $10k in merch but actually sold $30k.

Stu, I heard some disappointing aspects from last night…. Apparently there was no pre match entertainment… And I just found this on FB:

"There was 10082 at the game n I guarantee there would have been 8082 Tigers fans n not one of the players walked around after the game even Ivan left straight away. All the Knights players walked around for ages getting photos n autographs Cmon Tigers it was our home game n your fans turned out 🐯wasn’t happy as there were kids there looking for their favourites "

Not a good look if true… No excuses.

@:

Stu, I heard some disappointing aspects from last night…. Apparently there was no pre match entertainment… And I just found this on FB:

"There was 10082 at the game n I guarantee there would have been 8082 Tigers fans n not one of the players walked around after the game even Ivan left straight away. All the Knights players walked around for ages getting photos n autographs Cmon Tigers it was our home game n your fans turned out 🐯wasn’t happy as there were kids there looking for their favourites "

There was no social media presence from the club about the game during the week. I was expecting a week full of it.

@:

Yeah, huge oversight if indeed the case and particularly after an otherwise good approach to supporting the venue.

@:

To an extent mate - i’m almost 100% sure there was a post match function at the club for all the Tigers fans.
There was probably a hurry to get the team to it.

• Also saw the Knights got on the bus and came home after they finished.

Yeah… Time will be an issue no doubt.
But if they’re gunna do these things they gotta do them properly and allocate an hour post full time to engage with fans.
10k at the ground won’t all be going back to the club

I can see a few string a loses for us now.

I was at the game last night, Scully park is a great ground, I was actually really impressed by it. It was sold out too which may be why there was less coverage as they didn’t need to sell more tickets. The crowd was overwhelmingly Tigers fans, i’d say at least 5:1 probably more and were fairly vocal. The problem was we played rubbish and the refs were even worse. I was right in line with the kick for SKD last try and he was a good two meters in front of the kicker. The try before that they shouldn’t have even had the ball because Thompson knocked it backwards. It was just a rubbish game all around. I sure hope we learn something from that one, we were prob lucky to only lose by two and not screw up our for/against.

@:

That could be true. I didn’t pay any attention to it actually as I was still wiping the tears from my eyes.

There was a meet the players event on the Friday afternoon and a post match function at the club which drew heaps so maybe they felt that was enough. It was a pro tigers crowd for sure but don’t think it was 80%.

A bit unrelated but in the players function Benji was as popular as ever. They queue for photos with him was 10 deep for most of the night.

I can see the arguments for both. Keeping the coffers healthy is important and taking games to the country areas is a noble idea that all NRL clubs should embrace. However, there’s no doubting the benefits of playing in front of a true home crowd. Our most obvious home grounds are Leichhardt and Campbelltown and our best home ground results in recent years have been at Leichhardt. Unfortunately, in the last couple of years, we haven’t won many games at either venue and as somebody pointed out, the reason we are taking games away from these venues is because we haven’t been getting the crowds and, therefore the money. ANZ stadium guarantees us cash as well, which further diminishes our chances of playing at our true home grounds.
I think the key here is to win games. If we are successful people will turn up and, even though, we are trying to widen our appeal by promoting our label elsewhere, we should aim to keep all except two home games in Sydney, with the two provincial ones being in true western NSW locations such as Bathurst. Hopefully, our improved results this year will be reflected in a higher proportion of traditional home venues next season.
There is no simple solution. By the way, what’s happening with the Centre of Excellence, at Concord, or whatever it’s called? That may be a good resolution for the traditional Tigers and Magpies supporters as it seems to sit more or less in the middle of the two districts. Doesn’t help the Campbelltown people though….

I think it’s great that there have been more games played in the bush this year. I agree with the comments that every NRL club should have to take a game to the country each season.

I’m not worried about home game advantage. You’d never take a big game away from your home ground. We would have been expected to beat Newcastle even if it was played in Newcastle. Plain and simple, we weren’t good enough.

If the team can earn a lazy $350k by taking a home game to NZ, I’m all for that too. If we are in a better financial situation, you probably won’t hear our name thrown around when there’s talk of removing a Sydney team. Plus we’ll be able to afford more support staff etc.

The new Western Sydney stadium is looking great.

I drive past often, its more progressed than that photo

@:

I drive past often, its more progressed than that photo

Really? I got that from a post on LU that said it was then today.
I’m starting to think you can’t believe everything you read on the net… 😲

It must look impressive Ink.

Recent Topics

Support our community by clicking here and joining our Forum Support Scheme

Can’t log in or access your account?
Send an email to contact@weststigersforum.com and we’ll get you back online.