Development players???

I’ve skimmed over this a couple of times and I haven’t caught on until now.
Wasn’t one of the rules for development players to have not played any first grade?
How on earth can Manly claim Moses Suli was signed as a development player?
This was in fox sports today…

RUGBY league young gun Moses Suli is on the cusp of completing a remarkable NRL redemption story.

Axed by two clubs since Christmas, Suli has been named to make his debut for Manly and return to the NRL on Sunday at Allianz Stadium.

But there’s one last twist in the tale.

The 19-year-old is currently not allowed to play in the NRL as he’s only contracted to the Sea Eagles’ development list.

Promoting him will also mean his salary is officially included in the club’s salary cap. With Darcy Lussick released last month, they should have enough room to accommodate
Suli.

The club, despite this fact, has named Suli at centre for Sunday’s game against the Roost

They would have upgraded his contract and included him in their top 30. I don’t know how they can do that tho, considering they’re supposed to be 500k over the cap.

The $200,000 veteran/development player sum can be spent on either a veteran who has spent eight or more seasons at the club or a development player contracted to his current club for two or more continuous years before they are handed their first NRL contract. The development player is only eligible for the payout up to the age of 22.

Is that first NRL contract period? Or first NRL contract at the current club?
Wouldn’t the development / veterans allowance be used to pay part of DCEs salary?

That seems wrong. I thought he was signed to an under 20s contract not a development contract.

Just had a quick look at there team list and I would suggest that they are not planning to play Suli. Walker will go back to the centres and Hastings in the halves. They just want to deflect the attention so the Suli story is a good way to go about it.

Whatever they’re doing Manly are a complete mess and how good is it to see?

That Penn mob better start reaching further into their pockets, Manly needs a bigger facelift than Gus.

It would have to he’s not a ‘development player’ like we have Mikaele and co, but on some lower level contract like we had Drinkwater on here. And to play Firsts, the contract has to be upgraded,

Just a deliberately misleading choice of words by the journalist I would suppose.

@:

It would have to he’s not a ‘development player’ like we have Mikaele and co, but on some lower level contract like we had Drinkwater on here. And to play Firsts, the contract has to be upgraded,

Just a deliberately misleading choice of words by the journalist I would suppose.

Knowing NRL media they are probably guessing rather then using any facts.

I believe Manly need both to upgrade Suli and then request an exemption from NRL due to excessive injuries.

Puts them in a tough spot because they are already under immense salary cap pressure. But they made their own bed, so suffer.

He definitely wasn’t a development player for them, but a youngster they were hoping to support and develop. Big difference between the two.

Considering he was on 2 deals worth 400k a season it would be surprising if he suddenly accepted a nsw cup deal on 40-50k, but in a way he was suddenly almost on his last legs.

Have they really got 6-7 outside backs out injured at the moment?

@:

He definitely wasn’t a development player for them, but a youngster they were hoping to support and develop. Big difference between the two.

Considering he was on 2 deals worth 400k a season it would be surprising if he suddenly accepted a nsw cup deal on 40-50k, but in a way he was suddenly almost on his last legs.

Have they really got 6-7 outside backs out injured at the moment?

They might have after the DCE and Hastings camps face off.

Well he’s now been upgraded to the fulltime squad of 30.

Recent Topics

Support our community by clicking here and joining our Forum Support Scheme