Frustrated Cleary leaves players hungry to rectify mistakes

Frustrated Cleary leaves players hungry to rectify mistakes
Author Dan Talintyre Timestamp Tue 1 May 2018, 02:46 PM

Wests Tigers players say a post-match serve from Coach Ivan Cleary has them determined to lift their performances this week as they look to bounce back from two losses in a row as they take on the New Zealand Warriors.

While the Coach himself described his emotions as “frustrated” after the match, Matt Eisenhuth and David Nofoaluma said that seeing the normally calm and composed Cleary as annoyed as he was showed just how disappointing it was to surrender the two competition points on offer to the Parramatta Eels.

And for that, they’re determined to ensure it doesn’t happen again this weekend.

“He wasn’t angry, it was more frustration I think, which was deserved,” Eisenhuth said.

"We did a big video session today and everything we did wrong was in our control. We let them off the hook too many times, which is annoying because when we did get it right we really caused some damage.

"There were too many times we let them off and it was our own doing.

"It’s definitely the most frustrated I’ve seen him after a loss. I think the other losses we’ve had have been disappointing because we could have won, but this one was frustrating because we threw it away.

Nofoaluma echoed the sentiments of Eisenhuth, pointing out that the emotion shown by the coach is something the side need to take notice of heading in to a tough away trip this weekend.

“He definitely wasn’t happy, and everyone in the team has to own up to that,” he said.

"We really beat ourselves and he made it clear that we can’t just move on from that game — we’ve got to own up to it and take accountability and learn from it so it doesn’t occur again.

"I think that would be up there with the most disappointed he’s been after a game. I thought at one stage he was going to throw his chair or kick something, but him being a cool and calm person, he held it together.

"I think it’s the most frustrated I’ve seen him and I can understand where he’s coming from.

"I think why he was so frustrated was that the game was in our hands. We kept turning the ball over to Parramatta, and we should have executed it better and it just didn’t happen.

"We’ve got to learn from that because these two points will matter in the back end of the year.

"It does mean something for him to get frustrated because you never see it, and it means that something must be wrong. You don’t want your coach frustrated, so we’ve got to stop it from happening.

“Most importantly, though, is that we’ve got to stop performances like that from happening in the team.”

Wests Tigers will look to bounce back from two straight defeats when they face the New Zealand Warriors (also coming off a heavy defeat) at Mount Smart Stadium on Saturday, with kickoff at 5:30pm AEST.

He should have dropped some of the players if he was frustrated, some of them deserve a stint in ISP

@:

He should have dropped some of the players if he was frustrated, some of them deserve a stint in ISP

So who would you drop? And who would be the replacements?

Who in ISP is screaming ‘pick me’?

@:

@:

Garner and Gamble?

@:

@:

Godinet would be gone straight away, killer in for him, I would also be tempted to give Benji a rest, he has been making some stupid decisions and getting in the way of Brooks progress.
Even though Gamble was supposedly bad last week, he was running the team at 7, Drinky usually done that, but with Brooks running the team Gamble could play the role he is comfortable with, and I think it could work.
Nofo, Aloiai and Rochow could also on form have a rest, Garner is due a run, we need players to feel accountable like they were earlier in the year, we have lost 2 games in a row that we should have won, and no one is dropped, we all know how that worked for us in the past.

@:

@:

@:

Garner and Gamble?

Don’t know about Gamble. My understanding of Garner is he is not top 30

@:

@:

@:

Godinet would be gone straight away, killer in for him, I would also be tempted to give Benji a rest, he has been making some stupid decisions and getting in the way of Brooks progress.
Even though Gamble was supposedly bad last week, he was running the team at 7, Drinky usually done that, but with Brooks running the team Gamble could play the role he is comfortable with, and I think it could work.
Nofo, Aloiai and Rochow could also on form have a rest, Garner is due a run, we need players to feel accountable like they were earlier in the year, we have lost 2 games in a row that we should have won, and no one is dropped, we all know how that worked for us in the past.

McIlrick for Godinet I agree with. Gamble I haven’t watched enough but I believe too big a risk if replacing Benji. Who for Nofa? Garner is not top 30. Who replaces Aloiai and Rochow?

My point I suppose is we have been heavily hit with injuries. It’s easy to say drop player X but harder to nominate replacements. I reckon the team picked is pretty close to the best we could field.

I will add that McQueen could be in the mix

@:

@:

@:

@:

Garner and Gamble?

You may be right, but McQueen is and a a couple in 1st grade need a rest.

@:

@:

@:

@:

Garner and Gamble?

You may be right, but McQueen is and a a couple in 1st grade need a rest.

Yeah just mentioned that above - McQueen is an option.

Cleary should have weiled the axe this week? What happened to accountability?

@:

Cleary should have weiled the axe this week? What happened to accountability?

Could not agree more, I for one am hoping for some changes before kick off

Yeah Dean Pay dropped Eastwood….

Are the cracks starting to appear in Ivan’s selections…?

Ironic how Nofo was commenting on Cleary being frustrated.
He’s on the chopping block for sure.

I don’t understand why people are saying we’ve been decimated by injuries, I think apart from the Dragons we’ve had the least injuries out of any NRL team.
They’ve mostly been one or two week injuries.
Apart from Packer and Reynolds which to me doesn’t effect us because he never started the season anyway so we’re not missing him and Benji for the most part has been in almost career best form.
Have a look at some of the Injury lists of other clubs, we’ve got nothing to complain about.

Im glad he is setting high standards.

I’m not expecting to make the Top 8 even thought we started hot at 5-1.

Just hope individual and team work continues to improve and we get a couple of key signings

We took a couple of steps backwards these past 2 weeks however is anyone really surprised?

This is hardly a great side. Its a side of largely cast offs and no names playing with a chip on their shoulder. They have been playing well above themselves and now teams are starting o work out tactics to get us. If we can adjust and rebound it will be even better then the early season wins.

Just want to see foundations laid for the year ahead. We dont want to go back to missing 40 plus tackles a game and beating ourselves a bit as we have the past couple of games. Having said that we are right in theme right up until the 8oth minute.

@:

Ironic how Nofo was commenting on Cleary being frustrated.
He’s on the chopping block for sure.

I don’t understand why people are saying we’ve been decimated by injuries, I think apart from the Dragons we’ve had the least injuries out of any NRL team.
They’ve mostly been one or two week injuries.
Apart from Packer and Reynolds which to me doesn’t effect us because he never started the season anyway so we’re not missing him and Benji for the most part has been in almost career best form.
Have a look at some of the Injury lists of other clubs, we’ve got nothing to complain about.

Agree totally. Packer or no packer, benji out, reynolds in….none of that will help you if you’re getting penlised each time your opponent is in their half.

Recent Topics

Support our community by clicking here and joining our Forum Support Scheme