Wests Tigers receive Government grant for anti-bullying program

Wests Tigers receive Government grant for anti-bullying program
Author Wests Tigers Timestamp Thu 3 May 2018, 10:00 AM

Wests Tigers are pleased to announce that the club has received a significant Government grant to assist in the delivery and growth of one of its community programs.

The club is set to receive $300,000 over the coming two years to deliver the Wests Tigers Varying Abilities Program, a program that was launched last year.

The Wests Tigers Varying Abilities Program is a one-hour interactive anti-bullying program designed specifically to reduce and prevent bullying against people with a disability by encouraging individuals and groups to celebrate differences and be more inclusive.

Wests Tigers CEO Justin Pascoe said that the grant which was through the Information, Linkages and Capacity Building (ILD) Program that is a part of the NDIA was a major boost for the club.

“We’re very proud of the Wests Tigers Varying Abilities Program and the support of the Government will allow us to further develop and grow the program over the coming two years,” said Pascoe.

"The program is delivered by Wests Tigers staff and Physical Disability players in schools and we intend on reaching 20,000 students across New South Wales per year.

“The idea behind the program is that all people have ability, just on a varying level, and those with a disability can achieve equally what able-bodied people can,” he said. "The program showcases the achievements of our Physical Disability team and NRL team on a level playing field which increases inclusion and also builds confidence and aspirations in those who are living with a disability.

“Since being piloted last year the program has been introduced into schools throughout our region and this investment will allow us to significantly increase the amount of students who will be a part of it.”

The program includes a video with members of both Wests Tigers’ NRL and Physical Disability teams talking about their achievements and inclusion, a segment on facts versus myths regarding people with a disability and activities that give able-bodied students the opportunity to experience different elements of disability.

Wests Tigers would like to thank Community Partners WestConnex and Afford for their support, the investment from both organisations allowed the club to develop and launch the Wests Tigers Varying Abilities Program.

Well done Tigers. Our community and schools programs are second to none.

Good Stuff…

Government grant for a Centre of Excellence would be better….

@:

Good Stuff…

Mmmmm, had my hopes up, all I could see of the title was

“Wests Tigers receive Government ……”

before I clicked on it

@:

@:

Good Stuff…

before I clicked on it

Lol, yep… But a good cause anyway. Their community programs must be up there with the best across the NRL.

@:

@:

Good Stuff…

before I clicked on it

x 2 , ah well at least some recognition for our stance on anti bullying has been recognized

Don’t know about south of the border but bullying is rampant up here , actually had a parent ring me about a person I was interviewing a few weeks ago saying they would get their son to resign if I hired this particular applicant as he was a really bad bully

How did they know who you were interviewing?
Was it for a job?

@:

@:

@:

Good Stuff…

before I clicked on it

Great stuff by the club, positive community initiatives everywhere.

In Government there’s as saying “where the money is the money goes”, here’s hoping that the cough up some cash for the COE.

@:

@:

@:

Good Stuff…

before I clicked on it

x 2 , ah well at least some recognition for our stance on anti bullying has been recognized

Don’t know about south of the border but bullying is rampant up here , actually had a parent ring me about a person I was interviewing a few weeks ago saying they would get their son to resign if I hired this particular applicant as he was a really bad bully

Hope you told the parents that your hiring practices don’t hinge on threats based on heresay.

@:

@:

@:

@:

Good Stuff…

before I clicked on it

Hope you told the parents that your hiring practices don’t hinge on threats based on heresay.

Probably more along the lines that "I have a way to deal with bullies " and you needn’t worry

The parents of kids only ever hear half the story.

Used to get harassed by this smartarse at school, got in my face one day, so I grabbed him by the throat and put his head into a wall (not particularly proud of it but I snapped.) I was the one who got into the proverbial over it, his parents though I was the bully for reacting to years of harassment at the hands of this peckerhead. Needless to say they had no idea that their little darling was in fact the bully, nor did they want to accept it.

Good news , this type of thing needs to be swamped out big time , can be very damaging to kids

@:

@:

Good Stuff…

before I clicked on it

Umm we already got that? $5.5M from the state government.

Recent Topics

Support our community by clicking here and joining our Forum Support Scheme