Paul Green’s memo to Wests Tigers fans over potential sledging of Scott Bolton
AAP MAY 9, 2018 7:41PM
NORTH Queensland coach Paul Green says the Cowboys will prepare themselves for the prospect of sledging from Wests Tigers fans in the wake of the Scott Bolton incident.
The Cowboys remain coy on whether Bolton will take part in their NRL clash with the Tigers on Thursday after the prop was this week charged with indecent assault.
The 30-year-old flew back to Sydney and trained with the side during Wednesday’s captain’s run, suggesting he will line up against the Tigers.
But Green said a decision was still pending on his inclusion.
Front of mind for the Cowboys is Bolton’s welfare and the prospect of him being targeted by opposition fans at the tiny inner western Sydney ground.
“It’s definitely something we’ve all got to be prepared for,” Green said.
“Being an away ground and they’re in fairly close proximity. We’ve all got to be mentally prepared for that.”
Asked what his message would be to any fan going to Leichhardt with the intention of hurling insults at Bolton, Green said: “It’s really difficult to comment too far. But if that’s what their intention was, I’d probably be disappointed.”
Bolton has not been stood down by the club or the NRL.
The 30-year-old was charged with assault with an act of indecency following an alleged incident at a Bondi bar following a team dinner on Saturday evening.
Bolton, who has played 215 games since debuting in 2007, initially flew back to Townsville earlier in the week but returned to be with the team.
With Joran McLean (foot) and John Asiata (pectoral) both out, the Cowboys cam ill afford to lose another front-rower.
“It’s been a big few days for him,” Green said.
“Outside of that, it’s pretty hard for me to comment too much about it given it’s a fairly serious matter.
“He’s doing pretty well, he trained well today.”
Francis Molo has been named as 18th man and is on standby to replace Bolton.