Sugarcoated win

Before anyone says “can’t you just enjoy the win?” I did, I loved it!!! but……
I can’t ignore the problems either, everyones been talking about how great our defense has been, and it has been when it’s been good but it’s also been bad when it’s been bad and last night it was bad.

We are lucky we played the Cowboys last night or I think we’d all be feeling a little different today, they were terrible!
48 miissed tackles from us and they never really threw anything at us because everytime they got in the red zone they dropped the pill, in fact their completion rate in the 2nd half was below 50% (38% at one point)

We’re in the top 5 for most missed tackles in a game TWICE!!
At 2nd and 5th position.

We won by 8, take Brooks runaway try away and remember the Cowboys bombed one then consider that most of our tries come from Cowboys errors inside their red zone and let that thought sink in.

I thought our attack was pretty ordinary, our kicking game was ordinary our goal kicking is an issue (despite Masters misleading stats)
48 missed tackles against a side who couldn’t hold the ball at either end of the field and completed less than 50% for 50% of the game is a concern.

I understand that 2 points at this stage is the most important thing but
I’m worried that the fact we won is only papering over the cracks.

Yeah chalk up another win cause the opposition sucked… 😒

Cool by me…may it continue for the rest of the year…

We bombed two certain tries as well Tiger

We should have led 20-6 at HT

We weren’t great , but more positives than negatives

Remember we play the side this week that the Cowboys beat last week

A win is a win. Sometimes you win and don’t play well, sometimes you play well and still end up losing - That’s sport.

How are goalkicking stats misleading? You either kick it (percentage increases) or you miss it (percentage decreases).

I agree - too many missed tackles on a weekly basis. Needs to be addressed.

Regarding errors - our line speed in defence is causing opposition to make attacking errors. Had happened every week we have defended with speed.

Sometimes you need to win ugly. Considering the injuries, HIA’s, sin binning, losing players from the club and the fact we have many new recruits, I think we are performing pretty well.

Not fussed about the missed tackles because they are not important ones. We conceded 12 points one try from a riccohet and another from a chip.

The goal kicking is a real issue with our tactics which will lead to many close games. Not convinced Marsters is the answer.

Well Tiger, you must think the star studded Cowboys are really rubbish!
We had to win last night at this point far from perfect that it was, thats all that really matters.

@:

What he said

@:

I wouldnt say we bombed 2, one of them wasn’t exactly a certainty.
As for us playing Penrith who got beat by the Cowboys, if only that logic worked, I’d have a few extra zeros in my account.

My concern is as I said missing 48 tackles against a team who barely had the ball and never built any pressure.
How many tackles do we miss if they had completed and had put us under pressure?

For half the game the Cowboys dropped the ball more times than they held it and yet still managed to even up the score at 12 all.
If that’s not a concern for you, your orange glasses must be more tinted than mine.

I see where TIGER is coming from… Valid points just glad to get the win and halt the slide down… Plenty of time to work on what needs working on… 6 outta 10 is awesome for a V8 firing on maybe 4

I thought we played better than the scoreboard suggested.

Both of the cows trys were off flukes.

Most of the night i thought we had them covered. Our scramble is amazing. I put a lot of the missed tackles into the first contact. We seem to have 2-3 players hitting at the same time with the first contact dropping off.

We must have done something well for our win,enjoy

@:

How are goalkicking stats misleading? You either kick it (percentage increases) or you miss it (percentage decreases).

Regarding errors - our line speed in defence is causing opposition to make attacking errors. Had happened every week we have defended with speed.

Sometimes you need to win ugly. Considering the injuries, HIA’s, sin binning, losing players from the club and the fact we have many new recruits, I think we are performing pretty well.

If you’re kicking at 99% but all your kicks have been taken from pretty much infront, are you a gun goalkicker?
That’s how stats can be misleading.
Also he hasn’t had loads of attempts so his percentage looks better than it probably is.

My win percentage at lawn bowls is 100% am I a killer lawn bowler? No.
I’ve only played twice and I’m terrible.

@:

@:

If you’re kicking at 99% but all your kicks have been taken from pretty much infront, are you a gun goalkicker?
That’s how stats can be misleading.
Also he hasn’t had loads of attempts so his percentage looks better than it probably is.

My win percentage at lawn bowls is 100% am I a killer lawn bowler? No.
I’ve only played twice and I’m terrible.

But he’s kicked enough for the data set to be valid. I agree, where he takes them from can vary but from memory, not every kick has been from in front. Think with some time he could be ok.

@:

I see where TIGER is coming from… Valid points just glad to get the win and halt the slide down… Plenty of time to work on what needs working on… 6 outta 10 is awesome for a V8 firing on maybe 4

Im stoked for the win too, jealous as all hell I wasn’t there on the hill and like I said I understand at this stage 2 points is all that matters but other than improving our completions from the last few weeks we weren’t much better yet our opposition was worse.

Recent Topics

Support our community by clicking here and joining our Forum Support Scheme