Stat Attack: How Tigers overcame staggering missed tackles count

Stat Attack: How Tigers overcame staggering missed tackles count

Author Chris Kennedy Timestamp Fri 11 May 2018, 10:46 AM

The Wests Tigers missed a whopping 48 tackles against the Cowboys in an impressive 20-12 win at Leichhardt Oval on Thursday night but despite a couple of scares, remained largely in control in what was one of their best wins of the season.

Their missed tackle count was the fifth most by any team in a match this year.

It was just two behind Parramatta’s 50 misses in their shambolic 54-0 thrashing at the hands of Manly in round two.

The Panthers missed one more than that in round three (14 of those courtesy of five-eighth James Maloney) in a narrow 20-18 loss to Canterbury.

Second on the list is the Tigers again with 52 in their last-minute loss to Newcastle in Tamworth in round seven when back-row pair Robbie Rochow (eight misses) and Matt Eisenhuth (seven misses) were the main contributors.

The surprise entrant at number one – and by a massive margin – was the enormous 63 missed tackles by the Warriors when they scrambled their way to a stunning upset win over the Dragons in round seven in a match where they held just 39% of possession.

That game means the Tigers’ Leichhardt win over North Queensland is the second-most missed tackles in a win this year. Luke Brooks’s 10 missed tackles is the most in a game by any player other than Maloney (14 in round three and 12 against the Eels in round five) and Api Koroisau (11 against Parramatta in round seven). Warriors centre Peta Hiku also missed 10, in round one against the Rabbitohs in Perth.

I mentioned this on the Brooks thread but all this tells me is that the correlation between missed tackles (at least what gets registered as a missed tackle in the stats) and points conceded isn’t as strong as you might think.

Look at the top five “worst” missed tackle counts of the season. Points conceded in those games by the sides missing all those tackles were 12, 12, 20, 22 and 54. You’d take two of those any day, and two more are hardly defensive catastrophes.

As I said, my suspicion is that some teams are running defensive structures that let them “miss” tackles without taking too much damage. Looking at Brooks specifically, it’s clear to anyone watching that he’s not getting isolated anything like as much as he used to - so he’s still missing a lot of tackles but they aren’t costing line breaks any more.

Yeah and often the missed tackles are when they rush up to turn opponents back inside forcing errors and getting opponents crunched by bigger forwards. Brooks seems to bring down most guys threatening our edges with good low down tackles. Their the important ones.

Miss Tackle Stats can be miss leading…bit like Goal kicking apparently…

An old saying about statistics comes to mind.

If you watch the match the missed tackles constituted attempts on Cowboys running sideways trying to find gaps. On the night, we held a straight line and it was difficult to breach. Even Benji maintained that discipline. Given that the Cowboys only had 2 linebreaks shows how well we maintained our structure. Stat is misleading.

It’s not clear to me what the missed tackles stat is meant to convey. It wasn’t as if the Cows were running through us and scoring. Apart from a couple of fortuitous bounces, they didn’t look like getting across the line.

Make of these stats what you want but to me it flies against the notion that our defense is great, it was earlier in the season but it’s starting to fall away imo.
Not every missed tackle leads to a line break, lots seem to think that missed tackles aren’t a worry because they don’t lead to line breaks or tries, I can tell you now I’m glad Ivan doesn’t think that.
We looked real flakey through the middle at times but the Cowboys weren’t good enough to exploit us there.

Wait until we play South’s, hopefully you don’t all see my concern be exposed then, you can guarantee I’ll be referring to this if and when it happens. Hopefully it doesn’t

We missed tackles while they were running sideways or when someone rushed up, made contact, but fell off before tackles was complete. Meh.

Line breaks is far more important

@:

Miss Tackle Stats can be miss leading…bit like Goal kicking apparently…

thats right - these days with 3 players hitting at once one will usually drop off - unless a missed tackle leads to a line break it is hardly worth recording these days.

@:

Make of these stats what you want but to me it flies against the notion that our defense is great, it was earlier in the season but it’s starting to fall away imo.
Not every missed tackle leads to a line break, lots seem to think that missed tackles aren’t a worry because they don’t lead to line breaks or tries, I can tell you now I’m glad Ivan doesn’t think that.
We looked real flakey through the middle at times but the Cowboys weren’t good enough to exploit us there.

Wait until we play South’s, hopefully you don’t all see my concern be exposed then, you can guarantee I’ll be referring to this if and when it happens. Hopefully it doesn’t

We missed almost as many tackles in the first 4 games if memory serves me well. However I stand corrected.

Recent Topics

Support our community by clicking here and joining our Forum Support Scheme