Back to basics

I’ve heard these words being used for a few weeks now from Ivan and other players.
But it doesn’t seem to be happening.

I know it’s easy to say and it’s been said a billion times but footy at it’s most basic is a simple game.
Run hard
Tackle hard

We’re not running hard!!!

@:

I’ve heard these words being used for a few weeks now from Ivan and other players.

I know it’s easy to say and it’s been said a billion times but footy at it’s most basic is a simple game.
Run hard
Tackle hard

Run hard, tackle hard, hang on to the pill.

@:

@:

Run hard
Tackle hard

Run hard, tackle hard, hang on to the pill.

I’d settle for tackle hard.

Does anyone have the stats for our completion rates and unforced errors since Round 6?

Despite being for mine a largely untalented team in attack - we do seem to shoot ourselves in the foot with some really poor errors that should not happen. Basic errors like Brooks dropping the ball on tackle 1 yesterday.

Can I tell you my two stand outs in this BtB concept?

Chris Lawrence is the positive - just runs hard, makes his tackles, plays long minutes, minimum penalties. Just keeps showing up and showing up, and after an injury toll that would have ruined most players, he gets his body right and regains his form. Keeps running the hard lines that other players aren’t interested in.

Josh Aloiai on the other hand - all the ability in the world, but crucial dropped balls and missed tackles. Aloiai takes hitups better than anyone in the side but his output is very inconsistent. Coach keeps giving him opportunities but he’s arguably getting worse as the season goes on.

So I’m all for basics when it’s the Chris Lawrence type of basics, but the reality is the smart hard work has been lacking. Hard work is definitely there, the players are clearly trying, but plenty of it is dumb work, e.g. defending the line after penalties or dropped balls.

We need to go back to water-tight ball control first and foremost, then good tactical kicking with straight-line kick chase, and regular line speed all match. All of those have fallen away the last 2 months.

Need to start up those mini competitions that Marshall was bragging about at the start of the year again.

@:

Chris Lawrence is the positive - just runs hard, makes his tackles, plays long minutes, minimum penalties. Just keeps showing up and showing up, and after an injury toll that would have ruined most players, he gets his body right and regains his form. Keeps running the hard lines that other players aren’t interested in.

Josh Aloiai on the other hand - all the ability in the world, but crucial dropped balls and missed tackles. Aloiai takes hitups better than anyone in the side but his output is very inconsistent. Coach keeps giving him opportunities but he’s arguably getting worse as the season goes on.

So I’m all for basics when it’s the Chris Lawrence type of basics, but the reality is the smart hard work has been lacking. Hard work is definitely there, the players are clearly trying, but plenty of it is dumb work, e.g. defending the line after penalties or dropped balls.

We need to go back to water-tight ball control first and foremost, then good tactical kicking with straight-line kick chase, and regular line speed all match. All of those have fallen away the last 2 months.

so i agree with Lawrence running hard BUT just look back to last year, his hands were letting him down just like Aloiai’s right now.
The determination is there and so is the effort, i cant ask for too much more.

He will learn to run like Loz, im not too fused

@:

@:

so i agree with Lawrence running hard BUT just look back to last year, his hands were letting him down just like Aloiai’s right now.
The determination is there and so is the effort, i cant ask for too much more.

He will learn to run like Loz, im not too fused

My opinion is most of the dropped balls Lawrence made were from hospital passes he received.

Aloiai doesn’t run those lines, but you are right he can learn.

Thing is Lawrence has been running those lines since day one, hence why he was such a talent in the centres.

it all starts with the service from dummy half as Canberra showed on the weekend

The Lebo World Cup squad put together a better game than our boys did last weekend.

@:

it all starts with the service from dummy half as Canberra showed on the weekend

And we showed till our hooker got hurt.

Recent Topics

Support our community by clicking here and joining our Forum Support Scheme