Wests Tigers announce player movements

• Wests Tigers have today announced two player movements, with Matt McIlwrick to depart the club and Luke Garner to move into the Top 30 squad, both effective immediately.

McIlwrick, who joined Wests Tigers at the start of the 2017 season, has been released from the remainder of his contract to take up an opportunity at another club.

The 27-year-old played 27 games for Wests Tigers over the last two seasons, scoring two tries.

Wests Tigers would like to thank Matt for his efforts while at the club and wish he and his wife well in the future.

Wests Tigers are pleased to confirm that the club’s Intrust Super Premiership captain Luke Garner has moved into the Top 30 squad for the remainder of 2018, and has had his contract extended for a further two seasons.

The 22-year-old has been a standout for the club’s Intrust Super Premiership side since joining from the Manly-Warringah Sea Eagles in 2017, and recently helped the New South Wales Residents team to a dominant win over Queensland at ANZ Stadium.

Wests Tigers Head Coach Ivan Cleary congratulated Garner on his new contract.

“Luke’s been a great success in our ISP team,” said Cleary.

“He captains the team and consistently plays well every week. We are delighted that we can sign him for the next two seasons, I’m sure we’ll see Luke in the NRL team in the future.”

Garner will captain the club’s Intrust Super Premiership side, Western Suburbs Magpies, on Sunday at Leichhardt Oval as they take on the St. George-Illawarra Dragons.

https://www.weststigers.com.au/news/2018/06/29/wests-tigers-announce-player-movements

• Well earned Luke…. Well deserved

• good decisions…hope to see Garner in FG sooner rather than later…he runs hard and good lines like Lawrence

• Great to see Garner upgraded. Surprised it didn’t happen earlier but have a feeling this has been on the cards for a while.

Liddle the only hooker on the books for next year now.

• Wishing Matt all the best. Never let us down was solid.

I really like what Ivan has done with Recruitment this year. Can’t wait to see Luke given a shot in 1st grade.

• Matt may get a premiership ring.

• Garner may be the answer to our 2nd row need. Lawrence has been great. Could garner fit into the right side? Is he an 80-minute player?

• All the best KILLA

Interested to see how Garner handles the step up. We need someone on the left edge.

• McIlwrick to Souths

• @:

Garner may be the answer to our 2nd row need. Lawrence has been great. Could garner fit into the right side? Is he an 80-minute player?

Pretty sure he played on the right for at least some of he residents game. Scored running hole down right side I think. But has been predominant playing left side in ISP. Rowdy’s long term replacement maybe :slight_smile:

• @:

@:

Garner may be the answer to our 2nd row need. Lawrence has been great. Could garner fit into the right side? Is he an 80-minute player?

Pretty sure he played on the right for at least some of he residents game. Scored running hole down right side I think. But has been predominant playing left side in ISP. Rowdy’s long term replacement maybe :slight_smile:

And yes, has been playing 80.

• Banned

I really think Garner could be our answer on that right edge, he’s been consistently good in ISP all year

• Disappointed with Killa being moved on - would have preferred him Farah based on the last 18 months form for both of them.

Having said that I hope Farah grows a third leg being back in Tigers colours… and does a job, but no more than that.

He’ll get to his 250 games in WT colours too soon enough, which should spark him a bit.

• Banned

Can’t wait to see Garner in first grade as I think he’s made for it. No big loss in MM. does that mean we still have one spot left or are we done with our top 30?

• Was a smart move moving KILLA on. He was the no 3 hooker here with Farah arriving. So to move him on and promote another backrower is good roster management. At the same time, KILLA goes to Souths and is now the no 2. If Cook goes down, he’s suddenly in a pretty good situation given where Souths are. We did him a favour.

Recent Topics