The team meeting behind the Tigers' Dragons ambush

• The team meeting behind the Tigers’ Dragons ambush
    Author Brad Walter Senior Reporter Timestamp Sun 15 Jul 2018, 06:20 PM

A vow to return to the formula which had earned them early season success was behind Wests Tigers’ stunning ambush of St George Illawarra Dragons as they secured the 200th win in the history of the joint venture to keep their finals hopes alive.

After slipping out of the top eight with successive losses to Sydney Roosters, Cronulla, Canberra and Gold Coast, the Tigers agreed at a team meeting last week that they needed to go back to basics if they were to save their season.

With a massive turnover of players during the off-season, Tigers coach Ivan Cleary focused heavily on defence and the team won five of their first six matches.

The idea was that the Tigers would work on other areas of their game as the season went on but as the team’s attack improved their defence dropped off.

“That is one of things we spoke about, just going away from some of the fundamental things we were doing good at the start of the year and which were helping us get those wins,” veteran second rower Chris Lawrence told NRL.com.

“We were trying to grow our game as the year went on but I think were probably losing sight of some of those key areas, like the defence and just the little effort areas.”

The Tigers players decided they needed to revert to what they were doing well in the opening rounds and their rediscovered defensive resolve frustrated the Dragons as they sought to join South Sydney at the top of the Telstra Premiership ladder.

“Going into this game we just had a team meeting and wanted to go back to the basics and figure out where we went from the first couple of rounds,” centre Esan Marsters said.

The Tigers were fresh from a bye last weekend and had spent two weeks plotting their 20-16 upset win, which moves them to within six points of eighth-placed Brisbane following the Broncos’ loss to the Warriors on Sunday.

Cleary spent the entire match directing play from the sideline, while the experience of Benji Marshall and Robbie Farah ensured the Tigers remained their composure as the Dragons tried to snatch a late win.

Playing their first match together since round 26 of the 2013 season, Marshall and Farah were the only Tigers players to have previously experienced victory at Jubilee Oval for the club.

Farah had a hand in all three of his team’s tries, while a bone-rattling tackle on Sims jarred the ball loose and saved an almost certain try, while his kicking game pinned the Dragons down their own end and eased pressure on the Tigers late in the match.

• Yep, there was a clear shift in attitude today. Was back to how it was over the first 8 weeks. Keep it up on the run home and they’ll give the 8 a shake.

• Wow ….
    A fluff piece after a win !

Is this a first ?!

• Good to see it only took them 10 weeks to work it out.

• @:

Yep, there was a clear shift in attitude today. Was back to how it was over the first 8 weeks. Keep it up on the run home and they’ll give the 8 a shake.

Yeah , but I must have watched the side at least a dozen times as I commented on in the live game thread point blank stop moving up if the ball went the opposite side , one stage the right side were actually moving backwards (with backs turned ) while the ball was still shifting left :brick:

They scrambled well yes , but watch the game again , especially the last 10 minutes of the 1st half , I’ll have to watch the 2nd half again ……

Stop trying the BS the BSer (not you GNR , the comments )

• Robbie again was one of our best (if not our outright best), even addressing the team in the huddle. Who was our captain today? Why isn’t he doing that? I would hope that someone would have stood up by now and claimed the captaincy outright by their leadership skills.

Never thought it would be Robbie. Good for him, pity about the other would-be leaders.

Who will be captain next year? Do we need to recruit one? If Robbie doesn’t go around again (and I’m assuming he won’t but idk) then there is still no stand out candidate, and surely the 5 captain thing was intended to be a temporary thing.

• @:

Robbie again was one of our best (if not our outright best), even addressing the team in the huddle. Who was our captain today? Why isn’t he doing that? I would hope that someone would have stood up by now and claimed the captaincy outright by their leadership skills.

Never thought it would be Robbie. Good for him, pity about the other would-be leaders.

Who will be captain next year? Do we need to recruit one? If Robbie doesn’t go around again (and I’m assuming he won’t but idk) then there is still no stand out candidate, and surely the 5 captain thing was intended to be a temporary thing.

Think it was Lawrence, who was obviously off injured.

• @:

Good to see it only took them 10 weeks to work it out.

😆

• @:

@:

Yep, there was a clear shift in attitude today. Was back to how it was over the first 8 weeks. Keep it up on the run home and they’ll give the 8 a shake.

Yeah , but I must have watched the side at least a dozen times as I commented on in the live game thread point blank stop moving up if the ball went the opposite side , one stage the right side were actually moving backwards (with backs turned ) while the ball was still shifting left :brick:

They scrambled well yes , but watch the game again , especially the last 10 minutes of the 1st half , I’ll have to watch the 2nd half again ……

Stop trying the BS the BSer (not you GNR , the comments )

Line speed died many times today

• ForumSupporter

Mini Camp time…

• Kiama camp

• @:

Mini Camp time…

Won’t be the same without Sheens and Roycie 😢

The games of bingo will be missed Geo

• ForumSupporter

The Tigers were fresh from a bye last weekend and had spent two weeks plotting their 20-16 upset win, which moves them to within six points of eighth-placed Brisbane following the Broncos’ loss to the Warriors on Sunday.

Brad Walter’s is a dill…I make it within 4 points of the Eight placed Broncos…level on points with the Raiders…

• When are so called journalists and commentators going to stop the fantasy of calling the WestsTigers a joint venture , they are not a joint venture they are owned by one entity. The sooner the club ram this home the better then finally the club might actually find its own identity.
    Is it not time that this fantasy stops and we all support the WestsTigers for what they REALLY are!

• @:

When are so called journalists and commentators going to stop the fantasy of calling the WestsTigers a joint venture , they are not a joint venture they are owned by one entity. The sooner the club ram this home the better then finally the club might actually find its own identity.
    Is it not time that this fantasy stops and we all support the WestsTigers for what they REALLY are!

NRL has not reissued a club licence to Wests; the club is still the original JV, despite the shifting financial contributions over time. Shared resources of the former clubs, draw on juniors from both regions etc.

Same as St George still are and will continue to be a joint venture, even though Dragons Leagues Club are poised to buy out the club debt.

Recent Topics